aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I completely disagree that it was between than Expendables 2, which was the most incredible love letter to 1980's action films that I've ever seen. I love literally every second of that film. You're obviously quite a few years younger than me though, so I can understand why you'd prefer the third.

I watched Scream during a Football Manager session last night. It looks very 90s, and it's been parodied to death but it was still a fun rewatch, lots of dark OTT humour, though it's a lot tamer on the blood and guys than I remember. I was going to double bill it with I Know What You Did Last Summer and see which one was better but it got late. Maybe tonight.

Whip It - Ellen Page plays a 17 year old schoolgirl who lies about her age to join an over 21's roller derby league. Shenanigans ensue. This is pretty good, even if it does feature Drew Barrymore, who I passionately hate. The roller derby scenes are pretty cool, although the plot is hugely formulaic, and every character is a cliché. Total no-brainer, but entertaining enough for a night in with a couple of beers (or fruity red wine if you're a puff like me).

I watched this again tonight, was better on rewatch. Drew Barrymore really only has a supporting role so she doesn't ruin it. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Two Days, One Night - Saw this in the cinema this afternoon. It's a French film about a woman recovering from depression who has two days to persuade her colleagues to forego their bonus so that she can keep her job. In some ways it's a fairly simple story and really focuses completely on the protagonist played by Marion Cotillard. She was in every single scene and absolutely fantastic, and made the film. With a poorer actress in the lead role I could have lost interest but I didn't. Great film worth seeing. 8.5/10

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

It's been getting stinker reviews which had me worried, but I thought it was pretty good. Big fan of the books and the first film, and this holds up pretty well. The stories stay very true to the comic, the graphic violence is pretty great, Eva Green and Jessica Alba don't wear many items of clothes throughout. The original material for the film was fine too. It has a bit of a slower pace to it than the first film, which I think it more true to the comic than the first film, which tries to jam a little too much in. Also, by far the best film I've seen in 3D so far. Overall, it looks spectacular.

Good. 7.5 outta 10.

Black Swan

Bit late to this but finally got round to watching it after having it recorded for a while.  Much darker than I thought it was going to be (should have known with Aranofsky) and also didn't realise there'd be so much sexy times in it. So that was a nice surprise, especially with Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman.  That aside it's a spectacular and tense film, very clever without being too smug or patronising to the audience with an awesome set piece ending.  Deserved all it's praise.

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane - except me. This was a very dull teen slasher movie. Some decent tits, but not enough blood or scares. Turds.

Excision - A pretty weird horror about a teenage girl whose sexual awakening coincides with fantasies about murder and torture. Sort of like American Psycho if Patrick Bateman was a high school girl. There's a lot of dark humour and some pretty fun scenes, it's odd but definitely worth checking out. Some of the scenes will definitely stay with me.

V/H/S - This is essentially an anthology of six short, unconnected horror movies with a tenuous narrative linking them together. Some of the short films are really, really good, though a few of them undo all their good work with a stupid reveal. The story that links them is what lets it down and you hold out for a "ahhhh so THAT'S what's going on!" moment that never comes. Not must see, but should see.

If I Stay - I kind of wandered into this having never heard of it, when I found out the film I wanted to see wasn't playing.I don't know how much of the plot was revealed in the media/trailers so I'll spoiler tag it just in case. It's about a teenage classical music prodigy and her relationship with an aspiring young rock star,

though its told in flashbacks because she's in a coma for most of the film. It's a bit Lovely Bones.

I'm definitely not the target demographic for this film, either in age or gender, it's a teenage girl film, but that said I actually really enjoyed it. It's a well told and well acted story, and I really like Chloe Moretz. It tries to be a weepy but doesn't really pull it off, although a girl behind me let out an audible sob at the most emotional part of the film which made everyone laugh and ruined it. I usually add an extra star if I've seen something in the cinema, I always enjoy films more in the cinema, so it's probably not really worth four stars, but:

The Guest - Didn't know much about this before going to see it and I think that helped. Good soundtrack. Solid thriller 7.5/10 You may recognise the dad from 7 and Alien Resurrection, glad to see the shifty fella in a bigger role.  

Did not like the fact it was all super solider bullshit, just plain mentalist would have made it better IMO