aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I remember a lot more of Secrets of the Ooze, the second Turtles film than the first. It's the one I had on video and of course it had "Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!" so it wins.

Was that the second one?! I struggle to remember them seperately. Was it the first one or the second one where they fought Shredder? 

The Purge

Interesting concept (one day a year where Americans can do whatever the fuck they want without criminal repercussion - including MURDER), executed TERRIBLY, but still an okay watch.

Features Cercei Lannister and Ethan Hawke (who is clearly what would happen if Harrison Ford and Kevin Bacon had offspring), and two children (one is not a child and semi-hot, the other pretty annoying).

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 1

The Purge

Interesting concept (one day a year where Americans can do whatever the fuck they want without criminal repercussion - including MURDER), executed TERRIBLY, but still an okay watch.

Features Cercei Lannister and Ethan Hawke (who is clearly what would happen if Harrison Ford and Kevin Bacon had offspring), and two children (one is not a child and semi-hot, the other pretty annoying).

thought it was alright but I can't wait to see the second one, that looks very good.

But...but.....Shredder was crushed in a garbage truck by Casey Jones in Turtles 1. How can this be?

It cuts to a shot in the city dump where the garbage truck was emptied and he just... gets up again. And the story just continues where it left off, except Casey Jones isnt in it or ever mentioned again, and it's a different actress playing April O'Neill.

I've been meaning to write about Pain & Gain, which I watched a couple of weeks ago. Not something i'd ever consider sticking on myself but someone put it on as a bit of background filler and I ended up loving it. It's Walberg, The Rock and a guy who's name I forget who play meathead criminals running a kidnapping scheme. It seemed like your bog standard action comedy at first but it turned into a very funny, self-conscious and smart film. Everything from the cast, the title and the poster made me think I'd hate the film and that it'd be aimed at the fast and furious gym rat lad crowd but it totally wasn't and I thoroughly recommend it. The whole cast is actually pretty fantastic. 

7/10

I've been meaning to write about Pain & Gain, which I watched a couple of weeks ago. Not something i'd ever consider sticking on myself but someone put it on as a bit of background filler and I ended up loving it. It's Walberg, The Rock and a guy who's name I forget who play meathead criminals running a kidnapping scheme. It seemed like your bog standard action comedy at first but it turned into a very funny, self-conscious and smart film. Everything from the cast, the title and the poster made me think I'd hate the film and that it'd be aimed at the fast and furious gym rat lad crowd but it totally wasn't and I thoroughly recommend it. The whole cast is actually pretty fantastic. 

7/10

The Rock makes that film.

7/10

Watched this yesterday. Amazed by how much I enjoyed it. Haven't checked the veracity of it being a 'true story' but regardless, it's a really, really good watch.

8/10

xx

Hard Candy

I'd been meaning to watch this for ages and since Saturday turned into 'Movie Marathon Day', I decided to finally watch it. Fucking hell. All the usual cliches apply - hard-hitting, emotional tour de force, grim, etc.. Ellen Page plays a blinder. I can't even think about how I felt during the film. You probably know what it's about, but Ellen Page plays an (allegedly) fourteen year old girl who is picked up by an older guy on the internet. She goes back to his place, shit goes sideways pretty quickly.

9/10 - it's not a perfect film, but damn if it doesn't stick with you. Uncomfortable but essential viewing. 

I also watched The Lego Movie which was very fun/enjoyable/probably should have watched it after Hard Candy and not before, although I still have that fucking song stuck in my head. 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret Of The Ooze. Picks up pretty much where the first film left off, except Casey Jones has disappeared never to be mentioned again. It goes into a bit more depth about the Foot Clan, and is generally a bit more light hearted and comedic than the first film. The new baddies are a bit crap, but its worth watching just for the bizarre Vanilla Ice cameo.

Can't Stop The Music - Musical about the formation of the Village People. The song and dance bits are great (also Steve Guttenburg on roller skates) but its the script that lets it down. Every scene drags on foooorrrreeeeevvvveeeerrrr with far too much (usually terrible) dialolgue which doesn't advance the plot. It's so painfully fucking slow. The music bits really are great, but they're too few and far between to save it. Here, watch the trailer.. 

Fast Times At Ridgemont High - Overrated teen high school comedy from the 80s. It was OK. Largely forgettable. Occasional boobs.

Drop Dead Fred - This has aged surprisingly well. It's still reasonably funny as well, although its a little too grown up for a kids film and a little too kiddy for a grown-up film. If you don't know the plot, Phoebe Cates plays a woman in her 20s who goes through some trauma and her childhood imaginary friend reappears, an anarchic troublemaker played brilliantly by Rik Mayall, and hi-jinks ensue. An enjoyable rewatch.