aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Headhunters - a Norwegian thriller about a corporate headhunter and part time art thief. Found it deep in Netflix and took a punt on it. Really glad I did. Amazing film. Incredibly well paced, funny and sphincter-wincingly tense. If you're at a loss for what to watch, don't think, just put this on. You won't regret it. Fantastic film.

The Anomaly - bit weird and overall crap.  It seems to want to be The Matrix crossed with Surrogates, with Michael Bisping as a Serbian dude (the guy needs to stick to MMA, he's just not an actor).  It was really drawn-out at the beginning, and we were close to just turning it off but it seemed to get better once you actually understood what was happening.  They slow down certain punches or kicks in the fight sequences and it gets old very quickly.

The main guy played the plastic black bin victim in Dr Who (I caught 5 minutes when visiting folk).  I couldn't really take it seriously after that haha.

Headhunters - a Norwegian thriller about a corporate headhunter and part time art thief. Found it deep in Netflix and took a punt on it. Really glad I did. Amazing film. Incredibly well paced, funny and sphincter-wincingly tense. If you're at a loss for what to watch, don't think, just put this on. You won't regret it. Fantastic film.

Can't remember if I reviewed this somewhere up-thread, but it's certainly a very entertaining film.

That would be Noel Clarke who was the director of the film and also created kidulthood and the followup adulthood.

Getting the image of him with plastic-painted features was difficult when I realised who he was.  Anomaly was a very obvious, over-choreographed film too.  Now, I love The Raid and Oldboy, so it feels a bit odd to be saying that.

I haven't seen Kidulthood, but have been told good things.

• 2 weeks later...

50/50

Joseph Levitt Gordon gets cancer, and his total bitch of a missus is playing around. Joseph Levitt Gordon's best mate, Seth Rogen, catches her cheating and dobs her in it. Joseph Levitt Gordon falls for his therapist. Seth Rogen is loud and obnoxious the whole time, as you would expect. A reasonable watch. Some laughs. 3 outta 5.

22 Jump Street

Goofball sequel, starring Jonah Hill, and some other guy. It is absolute silliness and shouldn't be taken too seriously. The plot is a bit naff, but it's still hilarious. The scene where Ice Cube flips out at the buffet was superb. The sequel montage at the end was also great. 4 outta 5.

A Millions Ways To Die in the West

I was expecting to not like this, as I can take or leave Family Guy, and Ted was atrocious. Fortunately, it didn't seem like typical Family Guy humour. It was alright. 2 and a half outta 5.

Dealin' With Idiots

A fictitious famous comedian decides to write a comedy film based on the lunatics he meets at Little League Baseball games, so he conducts research by spending time with the parents and coaches. It's mostly a film of awkward conversations, but it's quite funny. A few comedy big hitters are in it too. Bob Odenkirk, Jeff Garlin, Fred Willard... Not bad. 3 outta 5.

The Babadook

Spooky horror movie about a widow and her young son, who over the course of the film become terrorised by a mysterious being. Nice and low budget, so it goes for tension and film craft, rather than outright gore to give scares. The plot if fairly generic, but it is very well done and there are a few scenes that make you jump. The book featured in the movie is really creepy. Generally, I don't tend to like films that have children in leading roles, as kids are wee dicks, but the wee dick who plays the son isn't too irritating, perhaps because he injures other children in the movie.

8/10

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching FILMAGE (the story of Descendents/ALL) since it took so long to come out and there were no screenings up this way.

Really good. Really impressively put together. Much slicker than most, if not any punk rock documentary I've seen.

I definitely had something in my eye whilst watching the bit about Bill's illnesses. But it did confirm that he's pretty much invincible. He will probably live forever.

I'd have liked more about Scott Reynolds. He's a bit of a mystery. Everyone else seems to have a backstory, and then a continuation in punk rock. Scott came along out of nowhere and did ALL, and then The Pavers, and then just disappeared.

Still. Excellent. Worth the wait.

• Upvote 1

I watched Lawn Dogs last night for the first time and really enjoyed it. Fun story about the strange relationship which develops between an oddball kid and the guy who cuts the grass in the rich gated community she lives in. Sam Rockwell is fantastic as always and it seems like the girl from the OC was a much better actor when she was a kid. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Drop -  Tom Hardy stars alongside Noomi Rapace and  James Gandolfini in his last film, pretty good. Adapted from a short story from the author of Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone (adapted to the screen by him as well). You can kind of tell it's from a short story and the story is maybe stretched out a bit, really enjoyed it though some things became a little obvious. 3.75 stars.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Sunday and today have both been film days.

Begin Again - Not a lot to this but it's pleasant and good viewing for a rainy Sunday afternoon. Mark Ruffalo is good as always. 7/10

Million Dollar Arm - This is okay but something wasn't quite right about it, the main character was just a but too much of an arsehole. Don Draper really is the perfect character for John Hamm because he gives incredible performances in Mad Men but in anything else I've seen he's been average at best. 5/10

Anchorman - First time seeing this. I enjoyed it but as yet don't get why it became such a cult hit. It was very funny at times but no more so than other similar films. 7/10

Drive - Very good, you could say it's a bit style over substance, but I liked that style. 8/10

The Maze Runner - The Hunger Games with less plot, less fighting and less Jennifer Lawrence. Not bad though. 7/10

Guardians of the Galaxy - Awesome. Absolutely loved this. Best comic book film I've seen in a long time. I'm already looking forward to the sequel. 9/10

Jack Reacher - Tom Cruise plays an ex-army cop who's called in to investigate when a retired army sniper opens fire on a group of civilians. Way better than I was expecting from a Tom Cruise action movie. The best bits of this film are when the characters are just talking and interacting with each other, there's a really good sense of tension, but of course there has to be elongated action sequences and car chases / piss breaks. Good film.

gallery_test2.jpg

Edited by Reinhold Messner

• 2 weeks later...

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Just hilarious. If you want to see it unspoiled, then stop reading now, because I'm going to break it down for you. Humans want to access a dam to generate power for the wasteland city. But the apes live there. The apes reluctantly allow the humans to access the dam, as the ape leader, Ceasar, has a soft spot for humans. He was raised by humans. The second in command, Koba, thinks humans are proper shite and wants them all to get fucked. Koba stirs a load of shit with the humans, and then he shoots Ceasar, making the apes believe humans did it. Koba rallies the apes to go to war with humans. Apes hijack the humans' weaponry, so they charge at the humans, on horseback, firing machine guns. Ridiculous. Koba goes cavalier and hijacks an armoured tank. A TANK, FFS. Koba saunters about in a motherfucking tank, blowing up puny humans and smashing down the barricade to the human tower. Hang on a minute though, because even though Ceasar took a bullet to the heart, he lives. A human performs surgery on Ceasar, and he immediately regains enough strength to find Koba and kick his head in. Ape vs Ape fight scene, with some reasonable kung-fu maneuvers, because apes are skilled fighters, obvs. Gary Oldman's had enough though. Good apes, bad apes. He couldn't give a shit. He rigs up the warzone with C4 explosives and blows up the lot. It does a shit job though, because most of the monkeys live anyway and Gary Oldman just kills himself and his mates. The Monkey fight scene rages on and Ceasar throws Koba off the edge of the tower, and then it zooms in on Ceasar's eyes. He knows war is coming. A war he morally doesn't want to fight in, but has to because his family started it against his will. Roll credits, because the sequel is coming. It will probably be called Sorry Apes vs The National Guard, or something.

Unforgettable cinematic spectacle.

The Interview

Meh. It starts off pretty well, until the guys actually meet 'Kim Jong Un", then it just gets a bit corny. It's a pretty shitty portrayal of him, even from a satirical point of view. I like Seth Rogen, but James Franco is a bit naff. Worth watching so you can say that you've seen it at least. A few laughs. OK.

Jack Reacher - Tom Cruise plays an ex-army cop who's called in to investigate when a retired army sniper opens fire on a group of civilians. Way better than I was expecting from a Tom Cruise action movie. The best bits of this film are when the characters are just talking and interacting with each other, there's a really good sense of tension, but of course there has to be elongated action sequences and car chases / piss breaks. Good film.

Jack Reach-around.

• Upvote 1