aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I don't know if I've ever watched a Die Hard film from start to finish. Maybe the first one when I was a kid. I've seen bits of all of them. Does one of them have Gary Busey in it, or am I mixing that up with Lethal Weapon?

Nah that's Lethal Weapon.

The first 3 Die Hards are well worth watching.  Get on it.

Being too lazy to change channels I ended up watching the following at the weekend:

Babe

First time I've seen this and while I scoffed at the idea of watching it I did find my cynicism melting away as the film progressed.  By the end I'd pretty much stopped staring at my laptop and was properly into it.  Good clean fun.

Home Alone

It's easy to forget just how good this is really.  I've seen this a few times over the years but for some reason I've never cottoned on to the fact that the Wet Bandits cased the house first with the fake cop getup.  Must always keep missing the start of it.  Anyway it's great even before it gets to the slapstick final third and that slapstick is of the highest quality.  Classic.

One thing though - the phones are out due to the storm. So the McAllisters can't phone Kevin from France.  Yet he can order pizza?  He's also able to call the cops later on so they turn up across the street where the bandits are knocked out.

One thing though - the phones are out due to the storm. So the McAllisters can't phone Kevin from France.  Yet he can order pizza?  He's also able to call the cops later on so they turn up across the street where the bandits are knocked out.

Yeah, and also - a eight year old child manages to protect his house from two fully grown men intent on hurting him and stealing their stuff. Mental!

;)

Yeah, and also - a eight year old child manages to protect his house from two fully grown men intent on hurting him and stealing their stuff. Mental!

;)

Oh that's totally believable.  However using the movie to fool the pizza guy that he was an adult paying for the pizza and that he'd shoot him if he didn't leave quickly.  Total bullshit!

I also doubt any eight year old of that time period would risk their collection of micro machines being crushed to use in a trap for prospective burglars.

I'll have you guys know that I was once left home alone and had to deal with a a couple of burglars and only survived thanks to copying ideas from the film which all worked so you can't say it's not realistic. 

Lucky you should watch the die hard films, I hadn't seen them until a couple of years ago and now talk about them in the same way as people who have loved them for 20 years. The first one especially is a rare case where the love for the film isn't partly based on nostalgia, it's just that fucking great. The first four are all good though (well the second is a bit dodgy).

From this past week, all first time viewings.

In Bruges - This was hilarious, I really love this style of black humour and I knew I'd like the film after just seeing the first few minutes. I'd always wanted to see this and I'm not really sure why it took me so long but I can now see this becoming a film I'll re-watch often.

8 Mile - I'd been told to watch this on a hangover day when I wanted something nice and easy to watch and that was good advice. There's really not much to the plot and you can predict almost everything important that happens but that doesn't really seem to matter.

Dazed and Confused - As a fan of good highschool films I now feel rather stupid that I'd not seen this before, I don't know why not. This was awesome, one of the best. My mum's probably happy I didn't see it 15 years ago though as it does being a teenager and drinking and smoking weed seem like the coolest thing ever.

Ocean's 13 - I was sure I had seen this before but I quickly realised I hadn't. 12 must have given me enough shitty memories for 2 films. I enjoyed it. Not as good as 11 but much better than 12 and just a very fun film.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Better than the first one. A lot better. Haven't read the book so didn't mind about the apparent scenes that were just made up for the movie. Didn't feel anywhere near as long as the 3rd one and sets the scene for a pretty epic last film.

V/H/S

Some guys break in to an old guys house to steal some tapes. They watch some and they're all basically short horror movies. They're all pretty good. It's not really a scary film but was really good.

Midnight Meat Train
Utter tripe. Got about half an hour in to it before turning it off.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Is there no-one at MGM that can say "enough!" to Peter Jackson?  MUCH better than the first film but I left feeling angry at the lack of ending. Perhaps after a few days I'll forget about that and like it more.  It's still suffers from being an hour too long but more action and less fluff makes it much more enjoyable than part one.

Anchorman 2 - They were obviously never going to top the first one, so it seems they just decided to go with all out silliness in this instalment. But it's fantastic, and all the cameos were pretty ace.

V/H/S 2 - Started off pretty strong. Was loads of jumpy scary moments in the first video tape. Then it kind of went all the fuck. Still worth a watch though.

House On The End Of The Street - Utter tripe. Shite story, totally easy to guess. But Jennifer Lawrence runs in a tank top. so 5/5.

Cropsey - Documentary about Andre Rand. Pretty scary. 2 kind of things that scare me are ghost films and documentaries. 

Long flight to Dubai.

Elysium

Matt Damon wants to break into a space station where all the rich people have magical healing booths that can instantly cure anything from cancer to having your face blown off.

It's a bit shit and rife with flaws in its internal logic, but I really enjoyed it. Some good action and not too much awful, hammy acting.

3/5

Kick-Ass 2

Fucking love it. Great violence. Much good. Wow. Lulls a little in the middle before it starts to run up to the conclusion, but still a great one.

5/5

We're the Millers

Drug dealer needs to run a massive shipment of weed over the border from Mexico to clear a debt with his supplier. It's one of those sitcom-esque comedies where there are plenty of jokes but they never really make you laugh. There was one LOL joke, but an overall fairly enjoyable film. Certainly a good distraction for a while. Some pacing problems in the middle and a fairly trite and corny ending, but again worth a look if you fancy something brainless.

3/5

xx

Long flight to Dubai.

Elysium

Matt Damon wants to break into a space station where all the rich people have magical healing booths that can instantly cure anything from cancer to having your face blown off.

It's a bit shit and rife with flaws in its internal logic, but I really enjoyed it. Some good action and not too much awful, hammy acting.

3/5

Kick-Ass 2

Fucking love it. Great violence. Much good. Wow. Lulls a little in the middle before it starts to run up to the conclusion, but still a great one.

5/5

We're the Millers

Drug dealer needs to run a massive shipment of weed over the border from Mexico to clear a debt with his supplier. It's one of those sitcom-esque comedies where there are plenty of jokes but they never really make you laugh. There was one LOL joke, but an overall fairly enjoyable film. Certainly a good distraction for a while. Some pacing problems in the middle and a fairly trite and corny ending, but again worth a look if you fancy something brainless.

3/5

xx

I enjoyed We're The Millers. What was the one LOL joke?