aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Yes this, Mr White shoots Joe, then points his gun at Eddie and the two of them shoot each other..

It annoyed me, so we slowed it right down to freeze frame by frame. It doesn't look like this happens. It will probably end up on one of those Movie Mishap clip shows, hosted by Robert Webb and his crap jokes. I love those shows.

But it doesn't happen in the film. Even Nice Guy Eddie says so:

"Nobody shot nice guy Eddie. It was a mistake. What was supposed to happen - and I don't know if Quentin's gonna like me giving this away, but it's too late now, he never told me not to - was Harvey Keitel was supposed to shoot Lawrence Tierney, then shoot me, then get squibbed. But what happened was the squib (a small explosive charge resembling a bullet hit) on Harvey went right off after he shot Lawrence, so he went down, but my squib went off anyway, so I went down. So, basically nobody shot Nice Guy Eddie. Quentin said 'You know what? It'll be the biggest controversy of the film. We're leaving it.' He was definitely right ..." 

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 1

I've enjoyed all his films. Haven't seen Death Proof yet as I heard it was terrible. But I loved Planet Terror. That was stupidly fantastic.

Kick-Ass 2

Really enjoyed this. Wasn't as good as the first, and wasn't as violent as the comic. But that's a given really. Jim Carrey was fantastic. As was minty-plass. The guy who played Kick-Ass' voice is too whiney though.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

But it doesn't happen in the film. Even Nice Guy Eddie says so:

"Nobody shot nice guy Eddie. It was a mistake. What was supposed to happen - and I don't know if Quentin's gonna like me giving this away, but it's too late now, he never told me not to - was Harvey Keitel was supposed to shoot Lawrence Tierney, then shoot me, then get squibbed. But what happened was the squib (a small explosive charge resembling a bullet hit) on Harvey went right off after he shot Lawrence, so he went down, but my squib went off anyway, so I went down. So, basically nobody shot Nice Guy Eddie. Quentin said 'You know what? It'll be the biggest controversy of the film. We're leaving it.' He was definitely right ..."

The squib timing may have been off but you can clearly see Mr White's gun point towards NGE as he goes down and it fires. Edited by Monster Zero

Deathproof was ace.  One of the best things Tarantino's done for years.  Django Unchained was also a welcome return to form.

I always enjoy his films but sometimes he really does veer too much into self indulgence.  Inglorious Basterds really suffered for it I thought.

I'd love to see him have the discipline to make a straight genre movie that came in under 2 hours. Leave the big name cameos and endless sub plots to a minimum - just a stylised, snappy genre film with a tight, coherent story.  But for that to happen it would probably mean someone says no to him first. I imagine the reason he gets away with some of his worst movie excesses is because when he's making a film there's no-one that will tell him no.

Deathproof was as close as he's come to it for years but I think that was because of the constraints he had in fitting it into a double bill with Planet Terror.  

Tarantino's films are totally unique and instantly recognisable as Tarantino films. Which I respect. I wouldn't say there's that many mainstream directors you could say that about. I'd also say he is one of the few directors whose name has enough pull that the average cinemagoer will go see his films on the name of the director rather than the actors.

Tarantino's films are totally unique and instantly recognisable as Tarantino films. Which I respect. I wouldn't say there's that many mainstream directors you could say that about. I'd also say he is one of the few directors whose name has enough pull that the average cinemagoer will go see his films on the name of the director rather than the actors.

Cohen brothers have the same fame, IMHO. Same with Tim Burton - although it's no secret his career has been going downhill since the 90's. Joss Wheadon is also on is way there...

xx

• Upvote 1

Reservoir Dogs = great

Pulp Fiction = great

Jackie Brown = great

Kill Bill V1 = ok

Kill Bill V2 = gash

Death Proof = verging on gash

Inglorious Basterds = pretty good

Django Unchained = refuse to watch because Jamie Foxx is in it

I was apprehensive too, because Foxx is usually total guff, but he's genuinely badass in this.

I'm not sure how many films I've seen him in, the only thing I can think of first hand is Collateral which he was passable in for an average action / thriller. I had no idea he did comedy and what are the stories of him being a shit?

He's not someone I've ever had much on an opinion about so was surprised to see someone so anti-him it would stop you seeing a film just because you don't like him.

He was good on Gold digger with kanye.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Upvote 1

You can always tell a Martin Scorsese film as it's always got Leonardo Di Caprio in it.

After watching Django last weekend, I watched Inglorious Basterds last night.

It was alright. Some very good scenes, but also plenty of scenes which feel like total filler which lasted way longer than they needed to, which is unnecessary, as it's already a long film.

This seems to be lauded as Christoph Waltz's best role, but I think he's far better in Django.

Captain America: The First Avenger

Not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting big dumb fun with loads of 'Murican patriotism but it wasn't like that at all. Turned out to be quite an enjoyable film with some great action sequences and a decent enough story holding it all together. Worth a watch if you're a fan of the Iron man films. Ending was a bit disappointing for me personally as it did nothing but set up the inevitable sequel with a very loose cliffhanger.

3/5

Rambo

Despite owing all the other Rambo films (on VHS of course) I've never gotten round to watching Stallone donning the bandanna and taps aff combo once more.

Although he brings back the bandanna, his tap remains firmly oan as he slaughters the Burmese army to rescue a group of Christian missionary types from some sort of concentration/sex/army camp. OTT violence and the stereotypical portrayal of the Burmese, you're either a poor helpless villager or a mass murdering, gang raping shit head, was exactly what I was expecting.

3/5

Ghost in The Shell

The 1995 version, not the 2.0 one.

After a day of watching some films I hadn't seen before I decided to watch one I've seen countless times before.

Slick cyberpunk Anime set in the not too far future where three special agent types investigate a mysterious mind hacker. Great visuals, great story and some of the coolest looking action sequences. It's influence on other work is clear and it's easy to see why so many people have yearned to emulate it.

5/5