aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

This Is The End

A bunch of relatively familiar comedy actors play themselves, as they attend a house warming party at James Franco's house in Hollywood. Seth Rogen brings his anti-social hipster friend Jay Baruchel, who hates LA and celebrities. As the title suggests, the apocalypse takes place during the party, and it's up to the clan of c-list comedians to survive. Starring funny people like Danny McBride, playing pretty much the character you'd expect, Craig Robinson, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill etc, and cameos from other folk, like Rihanna, Paul Rudd, Michael Cera - who plays the exact opposite of what you'd expect - and a bunch of others. It is utterly ridiculous. Recommended if you dig goofball comedies from the usual cast.

Just watched this, the bolded part would probably have been sufficient as a review but I loved it.

Yeah it was a great watch. It just seems to get more and more ridiculous, finished off by th Backsreet Boys performing in heaven, which can't really be topped.

The argument about Danny McBride jizzing all over the house was a particular highlight. Michael Cera being a total cock was good too. It's kind of how I expected him to be, so that cements it, even if he wasn't really playing a real version of himself.

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 1

Yeah it was a great watch. It just seems to get more and more ridiculous, finished off by th Backsreet Boys performing in heaven, which can't really be topped.

The argument about Danny McBride jizzing all over the house was a particular highlight. Michael Cera being a total cock was good too. It's kind of how I expected him to be, so that cements it, even if he wasn't really playing a real version of himself.

The Backstreet boys bit cracked me up, great ending. Micheal Cera was fantastic and probably in the film just the right length of time so that the joke didn't get old. I thought Emma Watson's bit was great too.

Lincoln

Absolutely astonishing performance from Daniel Day Lewis. Brilliant film but would have liked it to have spanned a bit more of Lincoln's life for those of us who aren't American and need a bit more backstory.  Instead it concentrates on the short period where he tries to push through the 13th amendment and bring the civil war to a close, finishing with his assassination.  Unlike the last Spielberg film I watched (Warhorse) the direction was bit more restrained without over-egging the emotion and the importance of some scenes (Warhorse was awful for this).  The only time where it's clear he couldn't help himself was just before the fateful trip to the theatre where every supporting actor is casting longing last looks at Lincoln as he leaves a room or walks down a corridor.

That aside it's a great film, very enjoyable for a historical biopic with plenty of lighter moments involving the excellent supporting cast. 

How many of the IMDB top 250 have you seen?

http://www.listchallenges.com/imdb-top-250

i'm 130/250

There's a lot of guff i'd never watch though. All the franchise stuff I won't have seen (star trek, star wars, harry potter, any superhero movie, etc) and there's way too many Studio Ghibli stuff. Only seen a few of those. That said, there's plenty of stuff I really should have seen. All the Fellini and Bergman I'd seen though so I can feel smug about that.

i'm 130/250

There's a lot of guff i'd never watch though. All the franchise stuff I won't have seen (star trek, star wars, harry potter, any superhero movie, etc) and there's way too many Studio Ghibli stuff. Only seen a few of those. That said, there's plenty of stuff I really should have seen. All the Fellini and Bergman I'd seen though so I can feel smug about that.

I got 155/250.

There's a few in there that I'd like to see, surprised I got that many though.

98, not surprised I scored relatively low but it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't recently filled in a lot of gaps with regards to classics I'd not seen. Of that list it's the oldies I'm really missing out on. Not seen many of the 50s or 60s ones at all. There were also a few on there of films based on books I've read and like but had no idea there were respected film versions.

Inspired me to get downloading though.

We're The Millers

Jason Sudekis has to smuggle drugs across the mexican border. To try and pass as someone normal he takes on Jennifer Anniston and a couple of kids to pose as his family. Plenty of Anniston nipple and she does a few strip teases. Worth it just for that. Some good laughs too. 7/10

i'm 130/250

150, with quite a few that I actually have sitting about on DVD that I bought cheap but not got round to watching yet. There are also a couple that I have seen some of but not all so not claiming those....

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Not sure if this will count as spoilers, since the plot is given away pretty quickly. It tells the story of Kevin, with a strong focus on his relationship with his mother, Eva. Basically, Kevin is a relentless sociopath, pretty much since he was born, but only his mum can see it.

There are a few big differences between the book and the film and if you're so inclined, I'd strongly recommend reading the book before watching the film. The main difference in my eyes was that the book is told entirely in the form of letters to her husband, Franklin, but the film has absolutely no narrative. 100% dialogue. It has a weird, chilling effect, where you're left feeling a little cold and lonely throughout, just like Eva must.

Obviously, with such a long story condensed into a film, a lot of detail is overlooked which I'd imagine would mean that if you hadn't read the book then some of the scenes may lack some of poignancy, but it's still worth a watch if you ask me.

8/10.

xx

i'm 130/250