aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Evil Dead (2013)

As usual with this sort of endeavour I was a bit sceptical about remaking this but I always have to watch the end result....incredible amounts of gore, which makes the banning and uproar over the original even more laughable. The story remains similar with a few embellishments - group of teens travel to a remote cottage in the woods and awaken an evil spirit which starts to possess them. Worth a watch for curiosity value but I think I will stick to the original for rewatch value, plasticine effects and all.

6/10

• 2 weeks later...

Amelie - Not as great as I remember but still a very charming movie. Fantastic visuals, and Audrey Tatou is terrific.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - The animation has aged badly, but it's still a novel idea and a fun movie. It's fun to see all the old cartoon characters updated and dropped into a bizarre real life world, Roger Rabbit however has to one of the most annoying protagonists in the history of film.

The Last Gladiators

It's about hockey, so obviously I'm going to like it, but it really is great. Watch it, especially if you have any interest in ice hockey, or sports in general. Chris Nilan is a BEAST.

I watched this. Great documentary.

Really good 3 part article on the enforcer thing here:

http://longform.org/posts/punched-out-the-life-and-death-of-a-hockey-enforcer

The Bourne Legacy

Pile of pointless shite.  A confused mess of a film that doesn't seem to have a reason to exist and instead constantly references the original trilogy.  If it could actually find some decent focus it could be OK.  The cast is decent but it's simply let down by the fact that without Matt Damon/Jason Bourne there doesn't need to be a Bourne film.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Most LOLs I've had in the cinema for quite some time.  Brilliant.

The World's End - I was chuckling the whole way through. It's just as good as the other two but all three are slightly let down with terrible endings. It's like they run out of ideas and try squeeze in too much to tie things up. I'd have liked to have a bit of an open ending. Some of the fighting was a bit too much for me too. It's just 3-4 minutes of camera whips and not being able to see exactly what's going on. 

Blue Chips - Nick Nolte/Shaq team up for a surprisingly good sports drama. It's ancient but I'd never seen it before. One of the better basketball films (and I've watched more than my fair share).

I like Louis CK and all but he's talking shit about Hulk Hogan and that's not cool. As much as his daughter may be a fame-hungry whore and he may have sullied his current reputation with sex tape scandals and the like but his legacy and contribution to the childhoods of millions of hulkamaniacs is immense. Ok, it was a long time ago now but for a while he was THE most famous and loved person in the world in the eyes of kids. I know Louis CK is the current comedic messiah but he's been at the top of his game for what?... 3-4 years? He's not yet in a position to be trash talking Hulk Hogan. He can shit on his daughter as much as he wants of course.

• Upvote 1