aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Great Gatsby

Baz Luhrmann bastardises a 20's backdrop and tells the story of a whimsical billionaire who wants to bang some married lassie. It's like a romantic comedy, without the jokes. It's pretty gripping in places, but it's also painfully beige in others. Overall, it's watchable but not great.

The soundtrack is also pretty wank (but has one or two diamonds in the rough), in true Baz Luhrmann style.

2/5

xx

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it was all a bit rubbish really. Didnt make me feel ill in anyway at all, considering what does go on the in the world, of which we both make money from Jake, its pretty tame. It did make some of the locals look like fannys i thought, but i thought they were a bit fannyish before watching it anyway, so i probably look at it from my own angle. 

Yeah it was all a bit rubbish really. Didnt make me feel ill in anyway at all, considering what does go on the in the world, of which we both make money from Jake, its pretty tame. It did make some of the locals look like fannys i thought, but i thought they were a bit fannyish before watching it anyway, so i probably look at it from my own angle. 

I thought it was just horrible. Especially after someone leading a course at my work was explaining fracking and said "people are protesting it but it's completely safe and they don't have the facts straight". Flammable water coming out of taps is not safe. And it's that kind of "you're wrong i'm right lets make money" attitude in the oil and gas industry that really gets to me. 

And the fact that a president from an oil company backround put a bill through to say that oil companies didn't have to get the okay from environmental agencies before they drill just screams corruption. These people are getting sick. And they are ruining the enviroment, for money.

edit: thought you were talking about GasLand.

I didn't think the people in You've Been Trumped were fannies, just country folk. The people on Trump's side were fannies. And the fact the police were basically working for Trump during that time was astonishing. 

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

There were fannies on both sides of it, but i was never against the course, and i didnt get the hooha about him building it. 

The Police had their hands tied in a way over it all, but they certainly were not just working for him, remember as well the documentary was made to look him as bad as possible.

The man is still a royal prick like, dont get me wrong. But most people with as much money as him tend to be wankers. 

There were fannies on both sides of it, but i was never against the course, and i didnt get the hooha about him building it. 

The Police had their hands tied in a way over it all, but they certainly were not just working for him, remember as well the documentary was made to look him as bad as possible.

The man is still a royal prick like, dont get me wrong. But most people with as much money as him tend to be wankers. 

Well they arrested him, and even verged on police brutality because he went and knocked on someone's door to give them the change to give their side of the story in a documentary. It was all very much bullying tactics. And they ruined a place which had scientific... specialness? Yes, i'll go with specialness. I wasn't against it to begin with. But when I first read about him almost backing out due to the wind turbines I was against it. If I had known about the terrible things he was doing to the beach and the way he was treating the locals I probably would have joined in on that march.

They havent ruined it. Some naturists will say its ruined, but from what i know he spent a lot of money making sure it wasnt ruined, again the people taking in to do that programme were done so because they supported the view of the film maker, had they opposed it its unlikely they would have been on there.

You got the story of his arrest that he wanted to tell, who knows exactly what happened? I know your in the Ewan camp of hating police, but without knowing every fact its impossible to say he was arrested for no reason, and there was no brutality in that film. 

Its also worth saying, the dunes were "owned" by another american before him, he sold Trump the land, not the council and not the government. If the dunes were that special to our eco system, the governement would have bought the land back a long time ago. Im not saying that nature isnt important, but the dunes have never ever been known as Scotlands version of the Amazon rain forrest, that again, is just sensationalism from the film maker. 

Yes scientists who were probably on his side. Others have said that its not as big a disaster for the area as its made out to be.

With these things there are always the extreme views on both sides, its really hard to get an accurate picture of the exact situation, this film kinda typified that for me. It could have really put across a good message, but it ended up being so cringey and sobby, and it took half truths and finished off the bits no one could answer. The stuff about the electric supply for example, was it done out of spite, or was it an accident, or part of the construction work? We have no idea, but the film makes it clear that it must have been out of spite. The same theme goes through the whole thing. 

• Upvote 1

They havent ruined it. 

It was a protected site of special sientific interest. The reason was it had the UK's largest network of shifting sand dunes. Trump then built a golf course on them and planted maram grass to prevent them shifting, ruining the main reason why they were protected in the first place.

But anyway that's all been covered in other threads.

Saw Filth last night, really enjoyed it but I hear it is quite different from the book. I think I enjoyed it more than Trainspotting. First 18 rated film I have seen in a while and I think it was a challenge to get made looking at the number of film production companies in the credits! Also saw a trailer for bad Grandpa, looks so stupid but also very funny.

Saw Filth last night, really enjoyed it but I hear it is quite different from the book. I think I enjoyed it more than Trainspotting. First 18 rated film I have seen in a while and I think it was a challenge to get made looking at the number of film production companies in the credits! Also saw a trailer for bad Grandpa, looks so stupid but also very funny.

Went to see this on Thursday. From what I remember there's only a few little things changed from the book. Maybe just to make it filmable. As you said, there was a massive amount of production companies involved. Probably because of the first scene with the girl and the dealer. McAvoy said on Chatty Man that there was one scene involving a young girl that did leave him feeling awful at the end of the day. So aye.

EDIT: *****

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

This Is The End

A bunch of relatively familiar comedy actors play themselves, as they attend a house warming party at James Franco's house in Hollywood. Seth Rogen brings his anti-social hipster friend Jay Baruchel, who hates LA and celebrities. As the title suggests, the apocalypse takes place during the party, and it's up to the clan of c-list comedians to survive. Starring funny people like Danny McBride, playing pretty much the character you'd expect, Craig Robinson, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill etc, and cameos from other folk, like Rihanna, Paul Rudd, Michael Cera - who plays the exact opposite of what you'd expect - and a bunch of others. It is utterly ridiculous. Recommended if you dig goofball comedies from the usual cast.

BASEketball

It hasn't aged well. I remember loving it when I saw it when I was at school. There's a fair few funny bits, but the premise is pretty terrible, and the more slapstick stuff is kinda cheap. 

• Upvote 1