aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

This seems to be lauded as Christoph Waltz's best role, but I think he's far better in Django.

He's incredibly scary in Inglorious Basterds!  I think it is a superb performance! 

For the record, I think both films are great.  I don't hugely like Reservoir Dogs, and I've not seen Jackie Brown in yonks, but all his other films are great (bar kill bill 2 which was shite). 

Oh wait, I've not seen the two 70s b-movie style films he did either.  Deathproof and the other one. 

What's the deal with Bad Grandpa then. Is it just a film of one Jackass sketch?

Yep. I basically thought I'd seen the whole movie just by seeing the trailer, but there was so many more gags bits/reactions it was just ridiculous. Caught myself actually face palming a few times in the cinema. Fantastic laugh.

Prisoners - The plot focuses on the abduction of two young girls and the search to find them both by the police and family members, some of whom take matters into their own hands. The cast, including Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhall, Paul Dano, Mellisa Leo and others, are all excellent. Jackman in particular is probably better than I've ever seen him before. Not exactly a cheery film for a Sunday evening but I enjoyed it a lot. 

Predator - Now don't tell Fatboy this but I'd never seen this until last night. I imagine most other people have so there's no need to say much about it. I'd heard enough about it so that I knew exactly what I was getting so there weren't really any surprises about it. Good film but my attention started to wander a bit in the last half an hour.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Dredd

Drokking brilliant. Damn shame it was released at the same time as The Raid.  Such a massive improvement on the Stallone version.  Good to see Avon Barksdale getting back in the game as well.

I really fucking enjoyed this. Wonderful film.

Law Abiding Citizen

Gerrard Butler's family get all fucked up which exposes him to how flawed the judicial system is... so he decides to fuck the system up. Ridiculous, but in a good way. Some great violence and explosions and an actual, enjoyable plot in there too. Plus Butler doesn't try to do some hammy fucking accent in it, which lets him pass as an actual half-decent actor. One of those films where there's no clear-cut "goodie and baddie" relationship - you're left to choose whose side you're on - the good guy who's descending into murderous madness, or the dickhead lawyer who's slowly becoming less of a dick...

I expected trash but it was actually pretty good. Would watch again.

7/10

xx

I really fucking enjoyed this. Wonderful film.

Law Abiding Citizen

Gerrard Butler's family get all fucked up which exposes him to how flawed the judicial system is... so he decides to fuck the system up. Ridiculous, but in a good way. Some great violence and explosions and an actual, enjoyable plot in there too. Plus Butler doesn't try to do some hammy fucking accent in it, which lets him pass as an actual half-decent actor. One of those films where there's no clear-cut "goodie and baddie" relationship - you're left to choose whose side you're on - the good guy who's descending into murderous madness, or the dickhead lawyer who's slowly becoming less of a dick...

I expected trash but it was actually pretty good. Would watch again.

7/10

xx

I have it on dvd. Bring popcorn and a blanket xxx

Prozac Nation - Christina Ricci spends the first 5 minutes naked. Then some other less important stuff happens.

Actually this is a true story about a journalist who goes to Harvard and struggles with depression and drug addiction. It's pretty good, and features 2 of my favourite actresses, Jessica Lange, excellent as usual, and Michelle Williams, though this was made when she was still in her Dawson's Creek days before she was really good. Ricci is decent but "troubled teen" is really all she can do. Not bad but Jason Biggs shouldn't be allowed to play serious roles.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - very colourful and imiginative, amazing to look at but it's all style no substance. Really quite boring.

World War Z - Better than i had expected to be honest, the film gets straight into the action as well, no fucking around with a half an hour of back story. Better than the usual zombie films as it doesnt really concentrate on the zombies and more on the survival aspect. Pretty weird ending tho, seemed like a bit of a cop out rather than finishing it off properly. The one really weird thing was knowing which scenes were filmed in Glasgow, and having the close ups of George Square, and then when the camera pans out its actually New York, for some reason, knowning it was two different cities ruined a bit of the immersion for me. 

Still well worth a watch. 

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Tells the story of Kevin, who is psychotic and pretty much evil from birth, and his mum both leading up to and following a horrific incident which leaves Kevin in jail but the details of which are only revealed towards the end of the film. It has a lot going for it and could have been really good I think but actually fell flat. I wouldn't rate this above a five or six. Seemed to be a case of telling a story with lots of flashbacks because the plot wasn't really interesting enough to tell in chronological order of events. Plus for some reason I just never found it believable despite the fact that there are well documented cases of other young people doing things as bad or worse than what Kevin does in the film.

X - Men: First Class - I was very surprised by this. Fantastic film. I didn't really like the other x-men films I've seen although it's possible my memory of the first two are tarnished by the absolute turd that was number 3, the only one I can remember well. This is undoubtedly one of the best comic book films I've seen though, the way it works as a comic book film as well as a homage to 60s Bond films is brilliant. I would happily watch another x-men film with this cast following on from this film.

X - Men: First Class - I was very surprised by this. Fantastic film. I didn't really like the other x-men films I've seen although it's possible my memory of the first two are tarnished by the absolute turd that was number 3, the only one I can remember well. This is undoubtedly one of the best comic book films I've seen though, the way it works as a comic book film as well as a homage to 60s Bond films is brilliant. I would happily watch another x-men film with this cast following on from this film.

With Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy in the film, it's hard for them to go wrong. Fassbender has to be one of the best 'Hollywood' actors there is at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

FILMAGE: The Story of Descendents/ALL

Filmage-Movie-poster-web.jpg

Went to see a cool screening of this at Audio last night.  Really nicely made doc - the sheer punk rock of the opening 15 minutes had the hairs on my neck standing up.  Bill Stevenson comes across as a general fucking hero.  If I saw this when I was 14 I would be living in a van right now.