aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek: Into Darkness - Pretty good. Thought the last one was better though. Plenty of little things which I didn't like, but none so much as the completely unneeded scene with Spok speaking to Spok. WOO HOO!

Lemmy - Fucking ace. Lemmy is a God. Just  fucking yaldie..

• Upvote 1

Goon - Seann William Scott plays a dim-witted security guard plucked from obscurity to become a professional ice hockey player. It straddles the line between comedy and dramatic underdog story, and never really quite decides which side it's on, and SWS's character is written as such a nice guy it's difficult to laugh at him as the butt of the jokes instead of feeling sympathy. It's all very imbalanced but it's a good watch and a fun hour and a half.

(Slight spoilers below)

Red State - Thriller from Kevin Smith. A family of Southern religious zealots (based on the Phelps family) ensnare and capture some young boys and plan to kill them for all the dirty fornicating they've been doing. The pacing of the film is all over the place, there's no introduction or character building, it's just straight into the storyline, which really hurts the film, especially as it makes little sense that after living peacefully for so long this family just go fucking nuts and starts wasting people. The sight of all the housewives firing AK47s looks a bit ridiculous, and the father's no-sweat calmness during the extended shoot-out is also played all wrong, as though this has happened to him a thousand times before, when clearly it hasn't. There's also no dramatic tension - a young couple have a nice sit down conversation in a pink fluffy bedroom when there's supposed to be a shoot-out going on and the house is getting riddled with bullets, and another woman drops her assault rifle to go and make a pot of tea. I think he was trying to make The Devil's Rejects, but this whole film is something of a fail.

Watching Human Centipede 2. Would not recommend. I'm near the end. But past the bit where the girl gets away in the car. If you've seen it, you'll know why I now feel sick. Sandpaper wanks I can handle. But that... No. No wonder this got banned over here. I regret getting US Netflix. I'm going to need a week off work.

Watching Human Centipede 2. Would not recommend. I'm near the end. But past the bit where the girl gets away in the car. If you've seen it, you'll know why I now feel sick. Sandpaper wanks I can handle. But that... No. No wonder this got banned over here. I regret getting US Netflix. I'm going to need a week off work.

awww poor jake, It's not real remember.

Closer to the Edge

closer-to-the-edgebig.jpg

As somebody who is none too fussed about motorbikes, I wasn't expecting a great deal from this documentary.  It follows a selection of racers gearing up to compete in the Isle of Man TT, a road race which involves the particularly eccentric riders trying to avoid wrapping themselves around a lamp post as narrowly as possible.  It focuses mainly on Guy Martin, half lorry mechanic-half idiot savante motorcycle racer trying to achieve his first victory.

Frankly, I fucking loved it.  The camera work is beautiful, the racing is utterly visceral, the riders are completely insane.  Things get pretty emotional at times, but never gets close to sappy - mainly thanks to how unflinchingly down to earth the competitors are.  Martin especially throws out some absolutely brilliant soundbites.  And there are explosions.  Full house.

I think anybody would get a kick out of Closer to the Edge, but if you liked Riding Giants or anything like that, definitely get on this.

5/5.

• Upvote 2

So, Netflix is awesome, right? It's all I do now.

Skatopia: 88 Acres of Anarchy

Documentary about a wasteland skatepark in Ohio. The doc is based mostly around the founder of the park, who is a total dick to his family, girlfriend and friends/employees. I still somehow came out of it quite liking him, despite him being a total scumbag. Some of the skating you get to see is totally nuts too. Some pros like Tony Hawk and Bam Margera claim to be unable to skate some of the bowls as they are so narrow and steep, then you see these kids dive right in, no pads, and just thrash it. Pretty cool.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home

Weird film about a weird guy and his dickhead brother, starring the guy from I Love You, Man who isn't Paul Rudd as the weird guy, and Ed Helms from television as the dickhead brother. The weird guy lives his life by the film Signs, so the plot sort of meanders around how he's heard the name of a person one day, and he seeks to find this person. His dickhead brother slags him off for being a total freakshow as he keeps chasing after any clue relating to the name he heard. It's okay.

Everything Must Go

Will Ferrell loses his job and his wife. His wife throws all his stuff out on the lawn, so Will Ferrell lives on his lawn. Not much really happens, and it's not a typical Ferrell film. He doesn't really ever shout or say anything wacky. A pleasant hangover-sunday type film.

Goon

I agree with everything Lucky Rathen has said about it. It was fun. The fighting is pretty brutal. SWS character is a bit too much of a simpleton, which grates a little, but he's still likeable. And it's a sports film, so obviously it has a montage of him improving as a skater. The most interesting thing about the film was to read about the true story it was based on. The two Russian team mates were a particular highlight. They should have had a bigger part. Fun.

Bones Brigade: An Autobiography

So, I'm all about skateboarding documentaries now. This, obviously, is about the Bones Brigade team which started in the early 80's and how skateboarding evolved so quickly from being a derivative of surfing to it's own entity. It was really interesting to learn how hated Tony Hawk was, purely because he was just so good. He was written off because he was so ahead of his time and widely discredited. The interviews with Rodney Mullen are great. He's an amazing guy and hugely emotional about what he does. I never knew how responsible he was for turning freestyle into street skating. Surprised that Fred Durst is in it. And glad, because he's a really great guy, obviously. Good watch, mostly for Mullen. Top bloke.

• Upvote 1

Guest Young Adolesent

I just watched scary movie 5 and tbh it was terrible compared to the other 4 not as much laughs and it was a crappy film they done a spoof off few good funny bits but other wise 5/10

Guest Young Adolesent

Im 14 remember ive got a child like mind haha i liked the first four the 3rd was a bit shit but 5 is just all round crap

Edited by Young Adolesent