aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Angel's Share

Badly acted and highly implausible in places but a nice story. Too many weegie accents as well. My main point of contention with it was the main character managed to learn the finer points of whisky tasting with a badly broken nose pishing blood.

I've got this on my computer to watch. I've been told by a few folk that it's really good.

Last film I watched was Disney's Robin Hood. Despite arguments from friends this rewatch didn't change my mind that it's one of the lesser Disney animations.

Whip It - Ellen Page plays a 17 year old schoolgirl who lies about her age to join an over 21's roller derby league. Shenanigans ensue. This is pretty good, even if it does feature Drew Barrymore, who I passionately hate. The roller derby scenes are pretty cool, although the plot is hugely formulaic, and every character is a cliché. Total no-brainer, but entertaining enough for a night in with a couple of beers (or fruity red wine if you're a puff like me).

• 2 weeks later...

The Campaign

Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis play 2 candidates vying for a smalltown Congressman position, Ferrell the seasoned veteran encumbent and Galifianakis a naive newcomer to politics put up to it by 2 shady businessmen. As the vote approaches the tactics get increasingly dirty and personal. Pretty funny for the most part.

8/10

Dredd

Karl Urban plays 2000AD legend Judge Dredd. Helmet remains on. Good thing. Dredd and rookie judge Anderson become locked down in a tower block by the gang who control it and the head gangster, Ma-Ma, offers reward to whoever kills them. Loads of violence ensues. Very similar in basic storyline to The Raid but I didn't find this detracted from this at all. It's fucking awesome.

10/10

Gangster Squad - A bit cheesy and cliche in places, but really enjoyable - Josh Brolin seems to be in pretty much everything at the moment, Sean Penn is fab as usual and still not getting the Ryan Gosling fan squad (he's got a high pitched, girly voice, and isn't an "ahmahzing" actor...).

Les Mis - Will definitely come across as a tit here, but although I know it's a musical, did not expect EVERYTHING to be sung! There are a few words spoken here and there, but a handful at the most. Russell Crowe isn't a total dick in it, and you're kinda glad Anne Hathaway isn't in it for long.

Ponyo - Studio Ghibli's version of The Little Mermaid :) a bit odd, as expected, in that the story doesn't really "flow" - stuff just happens randomly, and Maaatt Daaaaammoon is one of the voices. Doesn't beat Disney's Little Mermaid though (and Robin Hood is ace, but I agree, it's not the strongest of the classics).

Recent disappointments:

Ghost World - Thora Birch playing an annoying selfish hipster who befriends a middle-age loner played by Steve Buscemi. She is annoying throughout, which makes the film mostly irritating, though she's got massive bangers.

The Beaver - Mel Gibson plays a rich company owner who is riddled with mental illness and depression and close to suicide. He finds a beaver hand puppet, which he then wears and discovers that if he talks through the beaver he can actually articulate his feelings and begins to rebuild his life, only with the Beaver in charge. This sounds like a wacky comedy but it's actually a very bleak drama about the effects of mental illness, both on the person suffering and those around them. It's really good but by the end it just turns into a bunch of people endlessly soul-searching and talking about their "issues". How very American. A subplot invlolving the son and his cheerleader girlfriend who turns out to be a super-deep street artist (with dead brother issues, of course) feels shoehorned in as well.

Sister Act - Meh. It is what it is. The music and singing and stuff is fun, but the cops & robbers stuff with Harvey Keitel & co as every gangster cliché under the sun is dated and corny as hell but necessary for the story I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Refused to watch that shit film BECAUSE YOU DON'T ONLY USE A SMALL PART OF YOUR BRAIN!!! IT'S BASED ON A LIE!

It infuriates me, slightly.

It's so so shit. Full of utter shit things and Rober De Niro doing fuck all but being billed on the DVD cover.

For me the stand out part of the plot (I use the term plot loosely) is Bradley Cooper becoming a multi-millionare stock market guru but forgetting to pay back 10 grand to a disgustingly stereotypical, eastern European loan shark. Utter tripe.

Edited by PhiI
  • Upvote 1

Went to a film night on Monday that was supposed to be showing a political documentary, but they couldn't get hold of it, so instead they showed this.

36592_344588245645859_99753757_n.jpg

The Shout (1978)

The film starts off with everyone arriving at a big old house to play cricket. Alan Bates and Tim Curry are due to keep score, but Bates instead decides to tell a bewildered Curry a story of his history with John Hurt's character.

Hurt plays a composer, who loves creating sound effects. He also plays the organ at church and has an affair with a woman there. He and his wife (Susannah York) live outside this tiny village in Devon, near some sand dunes, and they're unwittingly stalked by Alan Bates, who looks like a giant because he's wearing this big navy blue overcoat for 95% of the film (2.5% of it he's in a dressing gown, 2.5% of it he's boning John Hurt's wife). He gets talking to Hurt after church one Sunday and invites himself to their house for dinner. Then never leaves.

Bates is just an ordinary traveller who tells the couple all about his clichéd gap-year experiences; living in the Australian outback with a witch-doctor for 18 years, killing all his children, etc etc, but John Hurt isn't really phased by this at all. Later Bates reveals that he learned from an Aboriginal shaman how to do a 'terror shout' that kills those who hear it. Unless they're wearing ear-plugs, in which case it'll just cause them to roll down a sand dune a bit. John Hurt, being fascinated by noises and sounds, decides that he'd quite like to hear it despite the fact that it'll probably kill him, so is taken to the secluded beach where Bates produces the shout, causing Hurt to roll down a sand dune a bit. Earplugs.

Later, Bates proves troublesome when he casts some sort of spell over Susannah York and she instantly sees him as this fascinating fuck-machine. They have sex whilst John Hurt, who has been sent out to get York's shoes fixed, runs very effeminately to the village looking terrified.

I won't spoil the ending, but it is batshit mental and involves Jim Broadbent (whose screen-time totals all of one minute) getting naked and smearing himself in cow shit. Rain stopped play.

8/10

• Upvote 4

Had a long weekend so went to cinema to see a couple of films.

This Is 40 - The 'sort of sequel' to Knocked Up. It's really good. It's got much of the same comedy as the rest of Apatow's stuff but without the stoner stuff. Loadsa laughs throughout. And Leslie Mann gets her tit out. She always gets her tit out. Just the one mind you. Her left one must be weird or something.

Warm Bodies - It's alright. I expected a couple of more jumpy bits after jumping at the start. Zombie falls in love with a girl after eating her bf's brains. I really wanted to see a sex scene but I guess necrophilia is frowned upon in light hearted zomromcoms. Still. 

Ted

Indefensible abortion of a film. 106 minutes of jokes that weren't good enough for Family Guy, Cleveland Show or American Dad.

xx

I enjoyed it. How did you see it? DVD? I think Blu-rays normally have added jokes and more offensive stuff, so it was much the same as FG jokes. And Flash Gordon. That whole sequence is just fantastic.

Had a long weekend so went to cinema to see a couple of films.

This Is 40 - The 'sort of sequel' to Knocked Up. It's really good. It's got much of the same comedy as the rest of Apatow's stuff but without the stoner stuff. Loadsa laughs throughout. And Leslie Mann gets her tit out. She always gets her tit out. Just the one mind you. Her left one must be weird or something.

That is her first titty scene.

Edited by Gypsum_Fantastic