aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Been on a bit of a film kick over the weekend:

Battle: Los Angeles- Some guff about aliens invading LA (thought they'd done that already to be honest). Absolute shite, avoid at all costs 0/10

Puss In Boots- Spin off from the Shrek films. Had a few really good laughs and was well (voice) acted but lacked a bit of the Myers magic that Shrek had 6/10

Cedar Rapids- Has Ed Helms (The Hangover) and John C Reilly (everything that Will Ferrell does pretty much) in it. Pretty funny in places, bit of a downer in others but pretty endearing as far as films go 6/10

Captain America: The First Avenger- Having enjoyed the first Iron Man film i thought i'd give a few of the other Marvel films a go starting with Captain America. The CGI budget was clearly spent on getting Chris Evan's head on a skinny body (which was pretty cool in all honesty) and the rest of the CGI was a little on the lacklustre side throughout the rest of the film as a result. Story was actually pretty good and the acting wasn't terrible either (Evans has form in the terrible Fantastic Four movies). Baddie (Red Skull) was a letdown. Decent enough action romp 7/10

Thor- Continuing the Marvel films, when this came out i thought it looked shit, very camp and was intrigued as to why it had attracted the likes of Anthony Hopkins, Idris Elba, Natalie Portman and Kenneth Branagh to it. I perhaps was a touch harsh in retrospect as it was actually quite enjoyable with a better use of CGI than Captain America making the otherworldy Asgaard look amazing. The acting was ok and the story pretty good as well. It did feel like it was building up to set pieces like boss fights in computer games though. Worth a watch 8/10

The Green Hornet- Seth Rogen getting all vigilante on everyones asses. Cameron Diaz superfluous to requirements. Christoph Waltz amazing as a madcap crime boss. Jay Chou great as Kato. Guns, laughs, violence: what more could you ask for. Very dark humoured (more akin to Kick Ass than other superhero flicks). Quite clearly filmed for 3D as some of the fight scenes in particular are obviously choreographed with that in mind but the special effects were pretty cool in places regardless. Well worth a watch0 8/10

Safety Not Guaranteed

Aubrey Plaza (swoon) plays Aubrey Plaza as an intern magazine journalist who goes on an investigative-journalist mission along with a jaded staff writer to do a story about a guy that's put an advert in the paper looking for somebody to accompany him for a spot of time travelling. It's a sort of off beat romantic comedy, sort of like Garden State but funnier. Nobody incredibly dislikable in the cast, Aubrey Plaza is in it and there's a great side story regarding the staff writer's plan to hook up with an old high school girlfriend.

5 Aubrey Plazas out of 5.

Aubrey Plaza.

• Upvote 3

Hotrod – Andy Samberg from SNL plays an idiot, wannabe stuntman in this comedy. Forever tormented by his ex-army step-father berating him for not being a “real man”, Rod Kimble (Samberg) dreams of one day finally kicking his ass, therefore proving his manliness. When his step-father is hit with a fatal heart problem, it appears Rod will never get his chance to prove himself unless he raises $50,000 – a convenient sum of money required to get his step-father a new heart – purely so he can then “kick his ass.” He decides to raise the money by doing his grandest stunt to date; jumping 15 school buses. Danny McBride and the cop that isn’t Seth Rogen in Superbad play his best friends, with Isla Fisher as the love interest. Will Arnett is in it to, and his step-brother and step-father are both loltastic. Honestly the funniest film I’ve seen since the Anchorman/Napoleon Dynamite era. 8.5/10.

Plus my favourite song of all time: You’re the Voice by John Farnham.

The best Chris Parnell line: “I’m not saying that that kiss was hot, but if anyone’s seen the boner police, I demand to see my lawyer!”

Another thing I noticed for some useless trivia is that the drummer in the band at the end is the drummer from Queens of the Stone Age.

Plus my favourite song of all time: You’re the Voice by John Farnham.

The best Chris Parnell line: “I’m not saying that that kiss was hot, but if anyone’s seen the boner police, I demand to see my lawyer!”

Another thing I noticed for some useless trivia is that the drummer in the band at the end is the drummer from Queens of the Stone Age.

If you looked closer you would have probably spotted all of QOTSA - http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0787475/fullcredits#cast

• Upvote 1

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World

Steve_Carell_and_Keira_Knightley_are_Seeking_a_Friend_at_the_End_of_the_World__apparently___.jpg

The film begins with Brick Tamland's wife being all like 'fuck it' when they hear on the radio that the world has 3 weeks left 'til annihilation. After trying to just live life as normal for a while - despite civilisation gradually failing - Brick posses up with Keira Knightly (quirky cute hip girl mode ramped to 10) and the two embark on a road trip so that a) Brick can hook up with an old flame and b) Keira can somehow fly to England to see her parents.

Hey, maybe it was just the wine talking, but I fucking loved this film. At the heart of it is a slightly cheesy rom-com, but the premise adds a weird bit of realism: who's to say that this wouldn't be the sort of shit that happens? The road trip portion is pleasingly eventful too, the excitement balancing nicely with some of the longer - although quite moving - conversations held between Brick and Keira.

To round up: End of the world is a neat premise, and they don't really pull any punches showing how shit/awesome it would be, Britta from Community and Jerry from Parks and Rec have small roles, great performances, there's a cool dog, very likeable characters, pleasant sound track. Go acquire it.

10 fiery balls of unstoppable destruction out of 10.

Sightseers

This has been described as 'Nuts in May' meets 'Natural Born Killers' and that's a pretty good description. The film is also as good as that sounds i.e. great and very funny but a bit dark. Tina (Alice Lowe) is a bored thirty something living with her clingy mum in the West Midlands. She spends her time knitting sexy underwear to impress her new ginger-bearded boyfriend Chris (Steve Oram). Chris loves trams and caravanning and they set off on a week's caravan holiday in the north of England. That's when people start to die. If you like your killers to have brummy accents, wear goretex jackets and walking boots and you like the murders to happen in between visits to the Bluejohn Caves, Fountains Abbey and the Pencil Museum in Keswick then this is definitely the film for you.

Rec

A local news anchor takes her video camera and follows a local fire crew for a night. They get a callout to a disturbance in a building but minutes after they arrive, the building is sealed and quarantined as there is an unknown "contamination" in there. It's essentially a zombie film, but it's fucking excellent. Highly recommend it. The film avoids most horror cliches really well until the closing few scenes which are shot in the obligatory first person night vision.

9/10

Rec 2

Picks up minutes after the end of the first and continues the story as a SWAT team are sent in along with a doctor to collect evidence/samples and check for survivors. Since the background has been set out in the first one, there's no time wasted in jumping straight in to the plot. It's a little more "standard" in it's format than the sequel - the team negotiate the building and zombies jump out and go AAAAHHHHH! and scare the fuck out of everyone. Fills in the back story really well, my only big critisism of it is while the first had a fairly believable plotline, as the story develops it runs close to getting a bit ridiculous. Can't really say more without spoiling the plot. Cracking sequel though and definitely worth a look.

8/10

xx

The Dark Knight Rises

After being rather disappointed by the grossly over-rated The Dark Knight and all irritated by the arselickerly ad nausea around the late Heath Ledger's (admittedly) strong Joker performance, I was dubious about viewing this latest Nolan effort.

I was, however, thoroughly delighted and entertained by this latest installment in the Batman series. Tom Hardy as Bane was an inspired piece of casting, Gary Oldman (innit?) and Morgan Freeman never fail to deliver, Anne Hathaway looks "fetching" in the Catwoman suit (not as fetching as Halle though, rrrrrrrrrrrrrr) and the whole thing is anchored by Michael Caine's sensitive portrayal of Alfred. Even Bale is excellent in this one (he's a bit Nic Cage - when he's good, he's good....).

Best movie I've seen in ages. 9.5/10

• Upvote 1

Anne Hathaway was much hoter than Halle Berry as Catwoman!

Each to their own - Hathaway was far better in the role from a performance standpoint, but I just can't get Ms Berry's jiggling lady-bumps out of ma heid, shite as her movie was.

"Hoter" - does that mean the love Anne was more "Ho-ish" or "Ho-like" ? ;)

The Condemned - Action flick starring Vinnie Jones and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. This was pretty much what you'd expect from a film starring a footballer and a wrestler, lots of action and fighting and stuff. 10 convicted criminals get thrown onto an island with a bomb strapped to their leg, the only way to get the bomb removed is to be the last man left alive. So they all set about killing each other in new and interesting ways. Oh also it's being streamed live on the internet to 40m people. Some good bits, some bad. Big plot holes and continuity errors (Steve Austin jumps into a waterfall and climbs out and his clothes are dry), but some of the fighting scenes are cool and pretty original, and Vinnie Jones makes a good baddie, the torturous bastard that he is.

I saw this last night. Incredible film. I knew it would be a winner as soon as i saw WWE show up in the opening title screen.

• Upvote 1