aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Drive

Well that was a lot stranger than I thought it was going to be! Recovered from a very slow start to be an engaging film with a few flaws. The soundtrack is fucking abysmal as is some of the styling. Gosling is pretty badass if a little emotionless. Carey Mulligan is great but it's quite an understated performance. Then to balance that up we get Ron Perlman shouting his way through the background of the film in his usual brilliant way. Suprising appearance by Christina Hendricks too.

I believe the aim was to replicate 80's styling in terms of look and music, so they got it pretty bang on, although the violence was totally 2000's, no way would that shit have got past the BBFC in the 80's. I thought it was a great film.

I believe the aim was to replicate 80's styling in terms of look and music, so they got it pretty bang on, although the violence was totally 2000's, no way would that shit have got past the BBFC in the 80's. I thought it was a great film.

Yeah I know. I just really hated the music. I did enjoy the film but would have enjoyed it more with a different soundtrack

I really don't get why people hype the violence in Drive so much. There's the one scene in the elevator where Gosling shows any kind of emotion and otherwise his performance is completely sterile. I thought Drive was a complete bag of shit with one or two 'good' scenes which only just managed to keep me watching until the end.

xx

Spent last weekend at my relatives' place with their 55 inch 3d samsung TV and Blu Ray player for company. It'd been ages since I sat down in front of a fuck-off telly and beasting sound system. Was skeptical of the 3d gimmickry but I watched the Hubble IMAX film and was blown away. Utterly jaw-dropping visuals and the 3d adds so much to it. I'm sure like always, it'll come down to content as to whether 3d survives (again. isn't this like the 4th time it's been pushed to the masses?!). I have zero interest in watching some fantasy film with a pop-out dragon and I'm completely dead against the current trend for making a bad film and tacking 3D onto the end of it. That said, pure visual treats like that are the way forward. I can imagine watching a modern version of Koyanisqaatsi or something in 3d.

Also watched 'Out of Time' with Justin Timberlake. Pretty good high concept comic book style film. The acting is ropey and you really have to fight hard to not pick out all the plot holes and breaks in logic but it's a pretty well put-together film. I like the way it's shot too - looks like they used consumer cameras and next to no lighting which gives it a realistic feel despite being other-worldy.

Horrible Bosses is pretty good too. I normally despise Jamie Foxx but he was very funny in it. Michael Bateman is always a treat.

Watched Wanderlust and This Means War on sky anytime the past few days. I wasn't feeling great and Wanderlust just made me angry. I loved the awkward humour though. Paul Rudd is great at it. Jenny A get's her ta-tas oot again. With this and Horrible Bosses it's starting to look like "I'M STILL YOUNG. REMEMEBER WHEN I DANCED NAKED IN FRIENDS WWELL LOOK. BOOOBBIIIEESSS".

Still, i would, you would. everyone would. even the gays.

This Means War was pretty standard chick flick. Alright. Nae baps.

I really don't get why people hype the violence in Drive so much. There's the one scene in the elevator where Gosling shows any kind of emotion and otherwise his performance is completely sterile. I thought Drive was a complete bag of shit with one or two 'good' scenes which only just managed to keep me watching until the end.

xx

The whole point surely was that this apparently emotionless, inscrutable character was capable of moving from a moment of tenderness to explosive violence in the blink of an eye...hence Carey Mulligan's WTF? reaction. You call his performace sterile, I would say he got it spot on for the character.

• Upvote 2

The whole point surely was that this apparently emotionless, inscrutable character was capable of moving from a moment of tenderness to explosive violence in the blink of an eye...hence Carey Mulligan's WTF? reaction. You call his performace sterile, I would say he got it spot on for the character.

I think the character was one-dimensional and shite. Either bad writing or bad acting, but either way it killed the movie for me.

xx

• Upvote 1

Also watched 'Out of Time' with Justin Timberlake. Pretty good high concept comic book style film. The acting is ropey and you really have to fight hard to not pick out all the plot holes and breaks in logic but it's a pretty well put-together film. I like the way it's shot too - looks like they used consumer cameras and next to no lighting which gives it a realistic feel despite being other-worldy.

weird, that came out as "In Time" over here, I enjoyed that movie and the whole concept spin on the whole time is money thing was ace. I don't mind Justin Timberlake as an actor as much as I thought I would

weird, that came out as "In Time" over here, I enjoyed that movie and the whole concept spin on the whole time is money thing was ace. I don't mind Justin Timberlake as an actor as much as I thought I would

ha - the title was from memory so i'm sure it is indeed 'In Time' rather that 'Out of Time'. Yeah, the money = time thing is cool and JT is a likeable guy.

Moneyball

Entertaining biopic of Oakland A's GM Billy Beane. I'd always thought baseball was a game that attracted stats lovers. It seems all you hear about when you look at the game is batting averages and a myriad of other stats. So it was quite enlightening to see the film portray everyone else as backwards, going on gut instincts and star potential while Brad Pitt's Billy Beane builds a team around the marginal gains of statistics. Wikipedia suggests he isn't quite the statto pioneer of the film but it's still an enjoyable, well written and superbly acted movie.

Total Recall

Went to see the remake yesterday and was very impressed. Being a big fan of the original, I was more than sceptical but they pulled it off. Farrell is surprisingly good and it looks absolutely stunning. Also surprising was Bill Nighy's cameo was really poor and you can usually depend on Nighy!

Wanderlust

Fucking hilarious. Totally took me by surprise too. I would've completely dismissed this for another run-of-the-mill rom-com with a vaguely wacky premise based on the trailers and it has one of those titles that you just instantly forget so I feel lucky that my girlfriend bugged me into watching it. I can't remember the last time I chuckled the whole way through a film. Probably Anchorman. Paul Rudd is the best at being Paul Rudd - such an underrated actor and he and Jennifer Aniston make a great on-screen couple - both just the right side of attractive. I mean, it's not gonna change your life, it's still just a silly Rudd/Aniston vehicle but for a seemingly 'dumb' film I can't speak highly enough of it. Some of the bits had me genuinely struggling for breath laughing and that doesn't happen often. Absolutely recommended. Anyone else seen it?

Wanderlust

Fucking hilarious. Totally took me by surprise too. I would've completely dismissed this for another run-of-the-mill rom-com with a vaguely wacky premise based on the trailers and it has one of those titles that you just instantly forget so I feel lucky that my girlfriend bugged me into watching it. I can't remember the last time I chuckled the whole way through a film. Probably Anchorman. Paul Rudd is the best at being Paul Rudd - such an underrated actor and he and Jennifer Aniston make a great on-screen couple - both just the right side of attractive. I mean, it's not gonna change your life, it's still just a silly Rudd/Aniston vehicle but for a seemingly 'dumb' film I can't speak highly enough of it. Some of the bits had me genuinely struggling for breath laughing and that doesn't happen often. Absolutely recommended. Anyone else seen it?

No but I have been meaning to see it, may go hire tonight :)