aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Fillums....

Tyrannosaur

An excellent kitchen-sink drama starring The Blue Toon's own Peter Mullen as a violent alchoholic Scot (a real stretch for him ;) ) who befriends an abused married woman. Powerful stuff. 8/10

After watching the above, my partner announced that she liked liked this type of movie so this led on to...

My Name Is Joe

Peter Mullen, plays a recovering alcoholic who runs a football team for recovering alcoholics and drug users. His life changes dramatically after a chance encounter with a female health visitor. Funny and tragic in equal measure. 9/10

That went down well, so I suggested...

Nil By Mouth

A powerful domestic drama about a violent alcoholic starring Peter Mull...er....I mean Ray Winstone. Written, directed by Gary Oldman and loosely based on his own father. Dynamite performances by Winstone and Kathy Burke, who plays his long-suffering partner. Great support from Eastenders Laila Morse (Big Mo - and who's Oldman's sister) and Jamie Foreman as his best mate, Mark. 10/10

The Oldman connection was a hit, so...

Sid and Nancy

Biopic of the doomed relationship between Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen, stars Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb. Notable for a pre-Nirvana appearance by Courtney Love. I ran out of Awake Tokens (loooong day) halfway through, so we'll watch the rest tonight, then move on to...

Prick Up Your Ears

Biopic about the life and doomed gay relationship of celebrated 60's playwright Joe Orton. Stars Gary Oldman and Alfred Molina as his lover. Review for both movies to follow.

• Upvote 1

Suckerpunch.

Some girl is admitted to an insane asylum and lobotomised as some sort of repercussion for being wrongfully blamed for the death of her younger sister. For some reason, she fantasises that the insane asylum is actually some sort of burlesque house/brothel, and they have to dance for rich men. Whenever the girl, who we only know as "Babydoll", does a dance for the men, she fantasizes she is in a war. Each time it is a war of a different kind. The first is hand to hand combat with 15feet tall ninjas with bazookas. The second time it is a nuclear war against an army of robots, and the time after that it is a war in space whilst her and her prostitute army have to protect a bomb on a space-train. This film is totally real, by the way, as fucking mental as it sounds. Nothing really happens other than these ridiculous wars in her head, all whilst her and her prostitute friends do battle with massive guns in skimpy outfits and lingerie. It's really terrible, but redeems itself by being mostly about prostitutes with big guns and skimpy outfits and lingerie.

Sin City

I got it on Bluray, and I haven't actually seen it since I saw it in the cinema years ago. Really great film, and one of the most aesthetically pleasing films I can think of. As far as big blockbuster films go, $40million could be considered quite low-budget, so it's amazing they have made it look as great as they did, and kept it as true to the books as a comic-to-film adaptation ever has. I didn't actually realise a sequel was due out next year until I read about Sin City this morning. I'm looking forward to it, as Sin City's only downfall is that it is based on 3 books, so it's sort of 3 short stories kind of meshed together. The sequel will be based entirely on #2 A Dame To Kill For, so should be a little more linear, and will have Marv all the way through it, who Mickey Rourke played excellently. He's so badass. The bit where the smashes the hitman's face into the brickwall and the wall caves in; brutal! There'll be more Bob too, which as awesome, as Michael Madsen is also badass. I imagine most people have seen it, but if you haven't, you should rectify that.

Kill Bill 2

I'm just not that big of a fan of Tarentino films. I like Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction, but I really don't care for Kill Bill. I remember watching parts 1 and 2 back to back for the first time and it felt like the longest 4 hours of my life. Part 2 is definitely the better of the films, but I still feel like it just sort of plods along aimlessly and a little bit of a muddle. I feel like I am alone with that opinion though. Everyone who has seen Kill Bill seems to love it.

Suckerpunch.

Some girl is admitted to an insane asylum and lobotomised as some sort of repercussion for being wrongfully blamed for the death of her younger sister. For some reason, she fantasises that the insane asylum is actually some sort of burlesque house/brothel, and they have to dance for rich men. Whenever the girl, who we only know as "Babydoll", does a dance for the men, she fantasizes she is in a war. Each time it is a war of a different kind. The first is hand to hand combat with 15feet tall ninjas with bazookas. The second time it is a nuclear war against an army of robots, and the time after that it is a war in space whilst her and her prostitute army have to protect a bomb on a space-train. This film is totally real, by the way, as fucking mental as it sounds. Nothing really happens other than these ridiculous wars in her head, all whilst her and her prostitute friends do battle with massive guns in skimpy outfits and lingerie. It's really terrible, but redeems itself by being mostly about prostitutes with big guns and skimpy outfits and lingerie.

I think i need to watch this film, thats possibly the best movie description i have read for a while.

Flights we havent had a movie night in a while, we should watch this!

This week i have been watching:

Empire Records - Simply the best film ever made about a group of teenagers working in a record shop in America, its got that burd from Armageddon and that guy from Lost Without a Trace, and a cracking sound track. Make sure you watch the extended version for an extra 15 minutes of completely pointless scenes.

Kill Switch - Flicking through the channel list and almost passed this one by, but i noticed it had Steven Segal and Isaac Hayes in the same film and thought, "well this must be good", sadly i was very wrong, from what i can tell Segal was a cop hunting a serial killer or something, the only good bit was when he smashed some dudes arm to pieces with a hammer, then the cops grab the guy and handcuff him even tho one arm is pretty much falling off. Everything else was instantly forgettable.

Requiem for a Dream - Probably the most depressing film you could watch, and the only film i have ever watched that has put me off drugs. A simple story of why you should never take heroin or let your mum watch game shows with Patrick Swayze on them, oh and keep her away from speed. Fortunately the events in the film can never happen, as Patrick has now left us.

This week i have been watching:

Empire Records - Simply the best film ever made about a group of teenagers working in a record shop in America, its got that burd from Armageddon and that guy from Lost Without a Trace, and a cracking sound track. Make sure you watch the extended version for an extra 15 minutes of completely pointless scenes.

Kill Switch - Flicking through the channel list and almost passed this one by, but i noticed it had Steven Segal and Isaac Hayes in the same film and thought, "well this must be good", sadly i was very wrong, from what i can tell Segal was a cop hunting a serial killer or something, the only good bit was when he smashed some dudes arm to pieces with a hammer, then the cops grab the guy and handcuff him even tho one arm is pretty much falling off. Everything else was instantly forgettable.

Requiem for a Dream - Probably the most depressing film you could watch, and the only film i have ever watched that has put me off drugs. A simple story of why you should never take heroin or let your mum watch game shows with Patrick Swayze on them, oh and keep her away from speed. Fortunately the events in the film can never happen, as Patrick has now left us.

My missus bought a new copy of 'Empire Records' on DVD and it was that longer 'Fan Edition' or whatever...led to her just harping on about the different bits...not really sure why they added them in, they were pretty pointless....Patrick Swayze isn't in 'Requiem for a Dream', are you nae thinking of his televangelist in 'Donnie Darko'?

'Requiem...' is one of my favourite films, great movie!

My missus bought a new copy of 'Empire Records' on DVD and it was that longer 'Fan Edition' or whatever...led to her just harping on about the different bits...not really sure why they added them in, they were pretty pointless....Patrick Swayze isn't in 'Requiem for a Dream', are you nae thinking of his televangelist in 'Donnie Darko'?

'Requiem...' is one of my favourite films, great movie!

Fuck your very right for some reason i had him and Christopher McDonald completely mixed up in my head!!

Cleanskin

Counter-terrorism thriller starring Sean Bean as a government agent working "off the record" to stop a terrorist cell from setting off bombs in London. Decent time filler. 6.5/10

Turn of the Screw

Recent adaptation of Henry James' classic gothic horror story. Stars two of the main Downtown Abbey cast who's names escape me. A tale scary enough for those recovering from major heart surgery. 6/10

Battleship

Watched this on my own whilst on holiday. Complete and utter bobbins, but somehow endearingly watchable. Taylor Kitsch makes a decent hero figure and Rihanna actually looks like a real girl rather than a crack ho in this sci-fi/military crossover. 6/10

Silent House

Low key, low budget psychological thriller starring Elizabeth Olsen - the wee sister of them freaky twins Mary-Kate and Ashley - as a girl stuck in a big country house who is terrorised by an unseen assailant. Miss Elizabeth must have got all all the talent DNA because she turns in a quite remarkable performance in this otherwise half-decent thriller. 6.5/10

Drive Angry

Nic Cage further cements his status as The Star Who Makes The Worst Choices in this complete stoor of pish. It's the everyday tale of a man comes who back from hell to save his granddaughter from a bunch of nasty cultists. William Fichtner has a great role as The Accountant though. 4/10

Mighty Ducks 1 - A touching Disney story about a group of tearaway, ice hockey playing kids who hit rock bottom before fighting through the adversity to triumph.

Mighty Ducks 2 - A touching Disney story about a group of tearaway, slightly older, ice hockey playing kids who hit rock bottom before fighting through the adversity to triumph.

Mighty Ducks 3 - A touching Disney story about a group of tearaway, even older, ice hockey playing kids who hit rock bottom before fighting through the adversity to triumph.

The last two nights have been great.

I'm not sure if I've seen 3, does it have the same kids or does do a home alone and change everything up? First two are great though. And I'll always remember that Iceland is very green and Greenland actually very icey.

21 Jump Street - hella funny. Would watch again and again. Was better than I expected considering Channing Tatum is a lead in this.

I watched this the other day. A good fun film. Better than it should be really.

Cleanskin

Counter-terrorism thriller starring Sean Bean as a government agent working "off the record" to stop a terrorist cell from setting off bombs in London. Decent time filler. 6.5/10

Turn of the Screw

Recent adaptation of Henry James' classic gothic horror story. Stars two of the main Downtown Abbey cast who's names escape me. A tale scary enough for those recovering from major heart surgery. 6/10

Battleship

Watched this on my own whilst on holiday. Complete and utter bobbins, but somehow endearingly watchable. Taylor Kitsch makes a decent hero figure and Rihanna actually looks like a real girl rather than a crack ho in this sci-fi/military crossover. 6/10

Silent House

Low key, low budget psychological thriller starring Elizabeth Olsen - the wee sister of them freaky twins Mary-Kate and Ashley - as a girl stuck in a big country house who is terrorised by an unseen assailant. Miss Elizabeth must have got all all the talent DNA because she turns in a quite remarkable performance in this otherwise half-decent thriller. 6.5/10

Drive Angry

Nic Cage further cements his status as The Star Who Makes The Worst Choices in this complete stoor of pish. It's the everyday tale of a man comes who back from hell to save his granddaughter from a bunch of nasty cultists. William Fichtner has a great role as The Accountant though. 4/10

I thought 'Drive Angry' was pretty great!

I have been checking out a few Simon Pegg films that aren't as good as 'Shaun of the Dead', 'Hot Fuzz' or 'Paul'....

Run Fat Boy Run

Pegg plays Dennis who jilts his girlfriend while regnant and then spends his time as an out of shape security guard trying to win her back but dastardly American Hank Azaria gets in the way. He also runs marathons so Dennis decides to run one as well. Better than I remembered, gets a bit stereotypical towards the end but some great laughs in there.

8/10

How to Lose Friends and Influence People

Also better than I remembered but the tone still confused me and Pegg's character alternates between likeable and being a bit of a cock. He plays a British satirical showbiz magazine writer who gets hired for a big American magazine so moves to New York and has various culture clashes etc.

7/10

Burke and Hare

Hadn't really been fancying this one much but decide dto give it a try. Tale of the well known grave robbers starring Pegg and Andy Serkis in the leads. Was OK but I was tired when I watched it and dozed off a few times so need to rewatch.

6/10

Nightmares in a Damaged Brain

Picked this up in the Oxfam shop for buttons, one of the old video nasties that I had never seen and as with pretty much 90% of them is pretty gash. A guy who has been locked up in a mental asylum since childhood is released due to his apparent rehabilitation under medication but he starts killing again and the authorities need to find him. Stupid plot, stupid film.

3/10

Repo Man

Emilio Estevez is Otto, a punk who gets in-tow with Harry Dean Stanton's ageing car repossessor and the rest of his colleagues and chases after a Chevy Malibu which has dead aliens in the trunk and has a reward of $20K on it. various other folk are also after the car, including rival repo men and government agents. A definite cult classic with weird plot and still an ace film with great music from Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Iggy Pop, among others.

10/10

Aye he was the best thing in it...I thought it was a good switch the brain off movie and as a bit of a Cage fan I think it was just good to see him in something remotely watchable...

Like I said in my original post - he's made some dreadful choices.

His best work - for me anyway - was Wild At Heart

Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone.

Harry Potter & The Chamber Of Secrets.

I've purposely avoided all thing Potter until now but finally decided to give them a go now that all the annoying media hype has stopped. Actually really enjoyed these two films, although the acting is a little suspect at times - Hermoine in the first film over-acts horribly, and Draco Malfoy in the second one seems to be in such a rush to get his lines out he trips over half the words and forgets to enunciate anything except for spitting the "P" in "Potter". I like Malfoy as a baddie though, he's a proper little shitebag. If I were at Hogwarts I'd be in Slytherin.