aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I hate cheesy american humour, and there was far too much of it in Avenger's Assemble.

Also, how come Hulk was an uncontrollable force that kills everything on the ship...then in the final fight he's a'body that's not an aliens pal?

I'm probably nit-picking, but I don't give a fuck.

The Wicker Tree - enjoyed this immensely, never gonna be as good as The Wicker Man but as the companion piece it is intended to be holds up pretty good. Shame Sir Christopher Lee was only able to a cameo and is only on screen for a couple of minutes.

I hate cheesy american humour, and there was far too much of it in Avenger's Assemble.

Also, how come Hulk was an uncontrollable force that kills everything on the ship...then in the final fight he's a'body that's not an aliens pal?

I'm probably nit-picking, but I don't give a fuck.

I found that strange too. the cheesy humour was a-okay though.

• 2 weeks later...

Prometheus

Well...it's just....och...ye see...aye...and then again, naw.

Brilliantly made, but somehow hollow, full of the usual "away team" stereotypes - the surly one, the cynical one, the speccy, geeky one, the there's-more-to-me-than-meets-the-eye one.

Noomi's quite good in the lead role.

The main problem I have with it is....

1. They travel all the way to some distant planet in search of a superior alien race who are purportedly responsible for our creation. They find one (humanoid with almost identical DNA), wake him up and he immediately starts kicking fuck out of everyone in sight. What a let down!

The Grey

A bunch of oil refinery workers in a remote icy location are on their way home when their plane crashes in the wilderness and the survivors need to tackle the elements while being hunted by a pack of wolves. Liam Neeson is the guy at the refinery who was paid to shoot wolves. Seems like a canny number. Anyway he knows about wolves so becomes their guide. Actually the guy being paid to shoot wolves sounds a bit like a handy plot device rather than a realistic job...anyway it's a not bad film.

8/10

Bronson

Decided to give this another go, kept falling asleep the first time I watched it and it just seemed to be the same scene playing over and over each time I roused. The story of Charles Bronson, Britain's most notorious prisoner who has spent most of his adult life in jail. Actually better this time, Tom Hardy's performance in the lead is pretty outstanding.

8/10

I spent yesterday hungover, exhausted and despondent so I decided to watch the beautiful people fall in love. This is often my go to remedy when in a pit of hungover despair and its grey outside.

First I watched Valentine’s Day, which is essentially the American version of Love Actually (except not nearly as good). It follows an all-star cast on Valentine’s Day as they learn about life and love. At the end all their paths cross and they are all happy. It made me feel incredibly low and wonder why I cannot find true love. It boosted my ego too, as it reminded me that I am almost physically identical to Bradley Cooper. Ashton Kutcher was surprisingly likeable. Queen Latifah was still shit and fat. I love Anne Hathaway and her wonky eyes. 4/10

Second I watched No Strings Attached. Ashton Kutcher – again, surprisingly likeable – and Natalie Portman (shwing) start a sex based no romance with “no strings attached.” They end up getting closer and falling a love. It made me wonder why I haven’t met a beautiful woman like Natalie Portman to tolerate my penis. I cried a bit at the end when they finally get together. 3/10

Moby Dick

Ishmael goes whaling on a ship, the captain is Ahab who is obsessed with hunting down and killing the white whale Moby Dick who bit off his leg, to the expense of all else. The old Gregory Peck as Ahab one. Great film and even though it's pretty old the whale effects aren't completely shit and actually look better than some CGI I have seen.

8/10

When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth

This came on when I was hungover and I dozed off through much of it. It's an old Hammer film that has cavemen and women existing alongside dinos. There is no dialogue in English, everyone just talks in an obviously made up caveman dialect where 'Akita' seems to mean everything from 'Look there', 'Go away', 'Go and get her' to 'Fuck there's a big fucking dinosaur'. Largely shite, made slightly tolerable by the unfeasibly attractive cavewomen in scanty fur bikinis.

2/10