aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Watched Gran Torino last night, very, very good in my opinion. Clint Eastwood is a bit typical, but the story is pretty exciting. Lot of moments that made me smile too.

Watching Fast and Furious just now and it's not great at all.

Going to watch The Rat Pack at 11.35pm.

Been on a documentary binge recently.

Wathced Jerry Seinfeld's The Comedian which I've been meaning to see for years purely because of the brilliant trailer. Was funny without being hilarious. A must see for stand up fans tho.

Rewatched The Five Obstructions, which is still one of my favourite films ever. Not gonna be to everyone's taste but I just love it. A guy remakes the same film five times with different 'obstructions' or pre-requisites each time. It is fascinating.

Also wathced Tyson which is just brilliant. It's a feature length monologue interspersed with the best bits of his career. Whether you like him or not or just think he's a mentalist, he has a great story to tell.

Currently watching Helvetica, a documentary about funnily enough Helvetica, the font. Pretty interesting so far in an academic BBC 4 talking head type way.

Watched 'All about my Mother' on Friday - really enjoyed it, quirky, funny, bizzarre & all about his mother

Also watched 'Don't Look Now' 1973 Donald Sutherland Thriller, good but not sure I got the full whack of the thriller and suspense that I should have got from it. We bit twisted.

I'm away to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the hundredth time after reading this wee interesting theory...

My favorite thought-piece about Ferris Bueller is the Fight Club theory, in which Ferris Bueller, the person, is just a figment of Camerons imagination, like Tyler Durden, and Sloane is the girl Cameron secretly loves.

One day while hes lying sick in bed, Cameron lets Ferris steal his fathers car and take the day off, and as Cameron wanders around the city, all of his interactions with Ferris and Sloane, and all the impossible hijinks, are all just played out in his head. This is part of the reason why the three characters can see so much of Chicago in less than one day Cameron is alone, just imagining it all.

It isnt until he destroys the front of the car in a fugue state does he finally get a grip and decide to confront his father, after which he imagines a final, impossible escape for Ferris and a storybook happy ending for Sloane (Hes gonna marry me!), the girl that Cameron knows he can never have.

I watched "The Wackness" the other night, which was a strange little film about a drug dealer in NYC in the 90s. It's kinda strange in that nothing really happens, but it's pretty entertaining though and the soundtrack is brilliant! The main character is really likeable as well.

Thumbs up

200px-Wacknessposter.jpg

Last night I watched "Spun" which is basically a couple of days in the lives of a bunch of junkies who are wired on crystal meth for days on end. Another film where nothing much really happens, it was very weird, but the cast was impressive and the acting was top notch (Brittany Murphy and Mena Suvari in particular were really good, Mickey Rourke basically played Mickey Rourke).

Really strange film, but still failry decent. Not unmissable, but good.

Thumps up

200px-Spun_poster.JPG

I watched 'Let's Go To Prison' which I had never heard of ever but it was in a bargain bin in Blockbuster. It also starred the guy who plays Gob in Arrested Development and so I just wanted it for that.

It was a bit...pointless, reminded me of My Name is Earl with the narrative style, but it was just a bit...rubbish.

Still it was something to do for an hour and 45 minutes when I had tonsilitis.

this sounds like "the brothers solomon", also starring g.o.b. and similarly lightweight.

directed by bob odenkirk from mr show, it has a couple of good visual gags but it never really held my attention. it has the best title-sequence i've seen in a while though.

I'm away to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the hundredth time after reading this wee interesting theory...

My favorite thought-piece about Ferris Bueller is the Fight Club theory, in which Ferris Bueller, the person, is just a figment of Camerons imagination, like Tyler Durden, and Sloane is the girl Cameron secretly loves.

Intriguing...I may have to re-watch. It's a classic...

Last night I watched "Spun" which is basically a couple of days in the lives of a bunch of junkies who are wired on crystal meth for days on end. Another film where nothing much really happens, it was very weird, but the cast was impressive and the acting was top notch (Brittany Murphy and Mena Suvari in particular were really good, Mickey Rourke basically played Mickey Rourke).

Really strange film, but still failry decent. Not unmissable, but good.

Thumps up

It's an awesome film IMO, great soundtrack too (the director, Jonas Ackerland, is a music video director by trade). Rourke's monologue regarding, ahem, 'the pussy', is classic...

I finally, for the first time in my life, watched an Indiana Jones film last night. Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Very good, I enjoyed it a lot.

Thumbs up

The mind boggles that you haven't seen an Indiana movie, but good you enjoyed it. The old ones are classic. I hated the new one though.

Just watched 'Burn After Reading' again last night to try and find the laughs. I struggled. To go from something as brilliant as 'No Country for Old Men' to that is ridiculous.

Movie marathon bank holiday weekend!

My boyfriend and I watched heaps:

The Big Labowski - Awesome...clearly

Dan In Real Life - very gentle comedy but no bad

The Happiness of the Katakuri's - fucking crazy and amazing until about half way through were it stops being funny and just gets confusing

Kung Fu Hustle - Got distracted halfway through but what I remember was good

Reservoir Dogs - classic...clearly awesome as well but still it's never quite as good as I think it's going to be.

Secretary - in lieu of going to Obedience School

I went to see In The Loop last week as and loved it.

This weeks viewing includes Venture Brothers or something, from Adult Swim. Anyone seen it?

The mind boggles that you haven't seen an Indiana movie, but good you enjoyed it. The old ones are classic. I hated the new one though.

Just watched 'Burn After Reading' again last night to try and find the laughs. I struggled. To go from something as brilliant as 'No Country for Old Men' to that is ridiculous.

"Burn After Reading" was great!

You didn't even find the Head of the CIA scenes with J.K. Simmons funny?

It's a lot like The Big Lebowski; a slow burner that grows better with age and with more viewings.

Watched a film called Red Road at the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's about a Glaswegian CCTV operator - quite a rare filming location, and probably made it more interesting for a Scot watching it. Top drawer acting from most involved and the story really draws you in as the film progresses, leaving you guessing a lot 'til the end. In true Scottish cinema style, it doesn't really portray us in a great light, but is worth picking up!

On a Scottish Cinema theme, Sweet Sixteen is also a brilliant film.

Watching Fever Pitch on Sky+ for the first time in about 12 years.

The last time was when I had to do a book report in S1, but I couldn't be bothered reading a whole book; settled on watching the film instead. Pretty sure they were wildly different in the end ?(