aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Watched a film called Red Road at the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's about a Glaswegian CCTV operator - quite a rare filming location, and probably made it more interesting for a Scot watching it. Top drawer acting from most involved and the story really draws you in as the film progresses, leaving you guessing a lot 'til the end. In true Scottish cinema style, it doesn't really portray us in a great light, but is worth picking up!

I really enjoyed this film too. Red Road is a bit of well known address down here, and they're actually knocking down (or have knocked down) the Red Road high rise flats.

It is quite an explicit film though. But I quite believeable I guess.

Got another spanish film coming from lovefilm talk to her, same guy who did All about my mother and also Seed

I got an Almodovar boxset from HMV for like 20. Well worth it. His films are great... if not a little strange.

Also... I just watched Twilight and really enjoyed it!

After a drunken quotefest, I re-watched Team America.

Great film...sort of.

Fuck yeah! Dirka

I really enjoyed this film too. Red Road is a bit of well known address down here, and they're actually knocking down (or have knocked down) the Red Road high rise flats.

It is quite an explicit film though. But I quite believeable I guess.

I got an Almodovar boxset from HMV for like 20. Well worth it. His films are great... if not a little strange.

Also... I just watched Twilight and really enjoyed it!

Strange indeed! While tryin to exdplain to someone else what it's about hmmm nuns, trannys, hiv, pregenant nun to a tranny....I might look up some more!

Went to see Star Trek on Saturday night...

...oh dear, oh dear, oh fucking dear :down:

What a mess!

Visually stunning, but the plotting was diabolical.

All that cinematic technology and the storyline is like something a bunch of kids could have made up - "let's make so that....and then...and then...and wouldn't it be great if...and then...and then...and then..."

The whole time-travel/parallel universe plot is just plain stupid, cliche'd and a complete cop-out.

And don't start me on Simon Pegg's Scotty. They turned the dependable engineer, with good one-liners into a complete buffoon.

On a positive note, Zachary Quinto was excellent as Spock, Karl Urban did a decent McCoy and Uhuru would definitely have been getting it.

What a mess!

All that cinematic technology and the storyline is like something a bunch of kids could have made up - "let's make so that....and then...and then...and wouldn't it be great if...and then...and then...and then..."

I couldn't disagree more - I thought it was brilliant. OK, the plot wasn't the most complex, but what Star Trek film has a complex plot?!

What a mess!

The whole time-travel/parallel universe plot is just plain stupid, cliche'd and a complete cop-out.

And don't start me on Simon Pegg's Scotty. They turned the dependable engineer, with good one-liners into a complete buffoon.

On a positive note, Zachary Quinto was excellent as Spock, Karl Urban did a decent McCoy and Uhuru would definitely have been getting it.

I'm going to see Zachary Q.....erm I mean Star Trek tonight :)

I think they intentionally didn't make the plot complicated to try and appeal to non-Trekkies, and not alienate people who don't really watch sci-fi. My gf was with me and loved it, despite only watching Star Trek TOS a few times, and having never seen any of the movies. This was a mainstream Star Trek movie to get new people interested in the franchise instead of just the geeks with the Spock ears, they'll maybe make the sequels a little more geek-friendly.

Indeed. If you want a complex plot, watch the Star Wars prequels. We all know how great they turned out to be. :down:

I never mentioned anything the plot being complex or otherwise, just that it was diabolical.

On a Independance Day/Top Gun "park your brain" level, it was a great success and was enjoyable and like I said in my previous post, the visuals were stunning

I guess as a fan of the TOS, I expected less "attitude", martial arts and explosions and a bit more mature dialogue.

But Simon Pegg, what the fuck were casting thinking about?

This was a mainstream Star Trek movie to get new people interested in the franchise instead of just the geeks with the Spock ears, they'll maybe make the sequels a little more geek-friendly.

I doubt it could have been any LESS geek-friendly, with so many visual and spoken references.

I went to see star trek yesterday. Have to say, thought it was fucking great. Bits ridiculous, bits cheesy, and did we really need Leonard Nimoy? But still thought it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Its a vast improvement on the last two. But considering they were absolute shite, that wasnt hard.

Also say the DaVinci code on the telly last night. Never read the book so can't compare, but apart from a pretty shite ending it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. Though have to say Audrey Tatou was a bit pish.

Not exactly a film, but it's a dvd so there.

Ross Kemp in Afghanistan. A five part series which I thought did well to explore what actually happens on the front line and showing the effects of war on not just the soldiers but the families too. Made me feel quite proud of our guys risking their necks out there. The only thing that bothered me was not enough front line action as I would have liked to have seen a bit more, but ho hum.

Definite watch.

Reykjavik 101 - Had it for yonks and finally got round to watching it. Labeled as a 'hillarious black comedy' it wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs, but had a few good lines / scenes. The plot follows a loser, who's mum comes out of the closet and he's forced to change his ways - after he accidentally pumps his mum's girlfriend.

Film looks good and the story's not exactly clichd. Some of the scenery and general feel you get of Iceland is worth watching it for alone. Good, but not quite on par with the awkward dark comedy films of Todd Solondz (Welcome to the dollhouse, happiness etc) - which I think it was trying to achieve.

6.5/10

I went to see star trek yesterday. Have to say, thought it was fucking great. Bits ridiculous, bits cheesy, and did we really need Leonard Nimoy?.

I went last night loved it, ok albeit a wee bit cheesy I think it had to be a little bit to entice a wide variety of audience. The characters were real good and kinda suited who they were meant to be...considering they are from a totally different era I think they did well

I can understand why the girls like it tho....Spock & Kirk hubba hubba. I even thought Nimoy was looking pretty good for his age (and yeah I think he had to be in it :) good to have at least one of the original cast).

Uhura has one whoor-a long neck!

Flash Point (2007 Hong-Kong Film). The story was pretty much a dumbed down version of the Departed (which is a dumbed down version of the Infernal Affairs Trillogy!) but it was easy to watch as it didn't really make you think. The best thing about this film was the non-stop ass-kicking fight scenes scattered throughout, that culminate in a HUGE 20 minute action scene.

The combat is all pretty realistic and based on Mixed Martial Arts. After watching some of the features the reason it's so good was that they drafted 5 legendary fighters to help choreograph and film the action. It's pretty much a Tony Jaa film, but not as cheesy and far more life-like.

Well worth buying / renting / lovefilming if you like your action flicks. 8/10

I went to see Star Trek last night. I suppose it was mildly entertaining for an hour and a half with some amusing touches. Having said that, it was pretty dire. I like the way they combined the characters of Star Trek with the plot of the first Star Wars film (big planet-destroying spacecraft that can be attacked by hitting it in the right spot, mystical wise man and quasi-religious culture with young but conflicted acolyte etc.). Or maybe that was just lazy and cliched. It suffered from the same problems as the recent Dr Who revival: no imagination, no new worlds to explore (except as the occasional backdrop) but all about the tedious 'inner turmoils' of the characters. Maybe this was interesting once but now it's very boring. I suppose this is what happens when they let soap-opera writers like RTD and Abrams take over science fiction. Zachary Quinto was pretty bad as Spock too, although it's probably the hardest act to follow. Philip K. Dick once said that God spoke like Leonard Nimoy. Nimoy still does speak like God but I don't think Quinto ever has or ever will.

Cowboy Bepbop (The Movie) - Watched this film for the umpteenth time to test a 5.1 surround sound and it fairly did the trick! Could be considered as a demo disc for a multi-speaker set up. The story's ace, animation's quite good and all of the jazz / blues music is immense. Not as good as the series but definitely worth a looky! 7/10

Romanzo Criminal - Set in Italy during the 70s/80s this film follows the rise (and fall) of a notorious crime gang in Rome - including their links with fascists and the government. It starts with lots of fast-paced action but after about an hour turns into the usual downfall / betrayal stories associated with gang films. It's along the same lines as Goodfellas & Godfather and if you can stick it out to the end - almost 3 hours - it's a pretty good film. Acting's top drawer, the story's pretty epic and the location (and retro Italy backdrop) are all fairly convincing. 8/10