aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Watched a film called Red Road at the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's about a Glaswegian CCTV operator - quite a rare filming location, and probably made it more interesting for a Scot watching it. Top drawer acting from most involved and the story really draws you in as the film progresses, leaving you guessing a lot 'til the end. In true Scottish cinema style, it doesn't really portray us in a great light, but is worth picking up!

On a Scottish Cinema theme, Sweet Sixteen is also a brilliant film.[/QUOTE]

Good shout. That's an excellent film.

"Burn After Reading" was great!

You didn't even find the Head of the CIA scenes with J.K. Simmons funny?

It's a lot like The Big Lebowski; a slow burner that grows better with age and with more viewings.

Aye, the bits with JK and David Rasche I did actually think were really funny. I found bits of it funny but not on the whole. But I am willing to accept it may well be a slow burner. I'll no doubt keeping going back to it.

Might take many viewings however to be close to the same standard as Lebowski though. But hey I'll give it a chance again sometime.

Last night I watched "Spun" which is basically a couple of days in the lives of a bunch of junkies who are wired on crystal meth for days on end. Another film where nothing much really happens, it was very weird, but the cast was impressive and the acting was top notch (Brittany Murphy and Mena Suvari in particular were really good, Mickey Rourke basically played Mickey Rourke).

Really strange film, but still failry decent. Not unmissable, but good.

Thumps up

200px-Spun_poster.JPG

I bought this film for the soundtrack.

I watched a documentary last night called Riding Giants which is about surfing, from the birth of the surf culture in Hawaii in the 1950s and the developments in the sport and the various characters involved in it,right up to the present day. It's not just about surfing but about the whole lifestyle that went along with it, back in the 50s when guys used to turn up in Hawaii with nothing but a surfboard and stay for months just living off the land, and the present day guys that just live and breathe big wave surfing.

It's really a brilliant film, one of the best docs I've seen in years. Even if you're not interested in surfing you would enjoy this. Highly recommended, 5/5. Find it and watch it!

riding_giants.jpg

I'm away to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the hundredth time after reading this wee interesting theory...

My favorite thought-piece about Ferris Bueller is the Fight Club theory, in which Ferris Bueller, the person, is just a figment of Camerons imagination, like Tyler Durden, and Sloane is the girl Cameron secretly loves.

One day while hes lying sick in bed, Cameron lets Ferris steal his fathers car and take the day off, and as Cameron wanders around the city, all of his interactions with Ferris and Sloane, and all the impossible hijinks, are all just played out in his head. This is part of the reason why the three characters can see so much of Chicago in less than one day Cameron is alone, just imagining it all.

It isnt until he destroys the front of the car in a fugue state does he finally get a grip and decide to confront his father, after which he imagines a final, impossible escape for Ferris and a storybook happy ending for Sloane (Hes gonna marry me!), the girl that Cameron knows he can never have.

I love these alternative readings that pop up. The only other one that comes to mind just now is the reading of the characters in The Thing as addicts of different drugs. Not seen it in a while but remember it being pretty plausible, what with an alcoholic character, speed-freak character, stoner character, etc. anyone know any others?

on another note, Ferris bueller is one of those films that is completely flawless. In my opinion the screenplay is every bit as good as Chinatown, which often gets cited as the best ever.

I watched Rear Window last night (the 4th film out of my Hitchcock box set - I'm watching them chronologically). Didn't really enjoy it that much, I found it a bit boring, there's a point where suspense just becomes slowness and I think this film falls into the latter. It wasn't a bad film, the characters were good and the premise was interesting, it just dragged a bit.

Thumbs middle

(For the record, the others from the box set I've watched are Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), and Rope (1948) which were all excellent. Next up is The Trouble With Harry (1955). I've already seen Psycho, The Birds and Vertigo but will watch them again because they are good.)

Sweet Sixteen is also a brilliant film.[/QUOTE]

Good shout. That's an excellent film.

Yip, I was quite annoyed that it had finished

I watched Rear Window last night (the 4th film out of my Hitchcock box set - I'm watching them chronologically). Didn't really enjoy it that much, I found it a bit boring, there's a point where suspense just becomes slowness and I think this film falls into the latter. It wasn't a bad film, the characters were good and the premise was interesting, it just dragged a bit.

Thumbs middle

Is that the one where he's sitting watching the flat opposite with a broken leg? I got that from lovefilms last year, agree with what you say :)

Yip, I was quite annoyed that it had finished

Is that the one where he's sitting watching the flat opposite with a broken leg? I got that from lovefilms last year, agree with what you say :)

Yeah that's the one. Disturbia a couple of years ago was based on Rear Window, but it was a teenager stuck at home on house arrest. That's a good film.

I watched The Orphanage last night, which I really really enjoyed. I was expecting a horror in the style of The Ring or The Grudge, but it's really nothing like that at all. There are a couple of eerie bits, but nothing scary, it's more of a chiller than a horror really. But it's quite a beautiful little film, and really well made. Top marks.

Thumbs up

I watched The Orphanage last night, which I really really enjoyed. I was expecting a horror in the style of The Ring or The Grudge, but it's really nothing like that at all. There are a couple of eerie bits, but nothing scary, it's more of a chiller than a horror really. But it's quite a beautiful little film, and really well made. Top marks.

Thumbs up

Bought this on Blu ray last week so will be watching it this weekend hopefully. :up:

Watched the remainder of The Orphanage last night, really quite enjoyed it, wee ghost story.

I am learning Spanish just now and think I might order a heap of Spanish films from Lovefilms to see if I can improve a bit!

Anyone got any good Spanish film recommendations?

There's a Colombian movie called Maria Full Of Grace, which is really good. It's about a girl who gets forced into becoming a drugs mule. Also Nine Queens, which is Argentinian and about a conman in Buenos Aires. It's a sort of Spanish language Lock Stock. The original is ace, but they did a lame American remake with George Clooney. Get those on your Lovefilm.

Nine Queens (2002) DVD | LOVEFiLM

Maria Full Of Grace (2004) DVD | LOVEFiLM

There's a Colombian movie called Maria Full Of Grace, which is really good. It's about a girl who gets forced into becoming a drugs mule. Also Nine Queens, which is Argentinian and about a conman in Beunos Aires. It's a sort of Spanish language Lock Stock. The original is ace, but they did a lame American remake with George Clooney. Get those on your Lovefilm.

Nine Queens (2002) DVD | LOVEFiLM

Maria Full Of Grace (2004) DVD | LOVEFiLM

I already had Nine Queens, but have added the other, excellent cheers :)

Talk to her, which you've already got, is fantastic. Volver is also great, as are most of Almodovar's films. I like Julio Medem's stuff, although they've been getting harder and harder to follow. Vacas is a big favourite but The Red Squirrel and Lovers of the Arctic Circle are wonderful too. Quite enigmatic films.

Just watched "King of Kong - A fist Full of Quarters" which is a documentary about an argument over a Donkey Kong high score. It's a lot more interesting than it sounds and may be one of the best depictions of good versus evil to make it to the silver screen. One look at the "villain" and his USA tie/lush black mullet combo and you will be hooked. Honest.

Watching this tonight :up: