aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Czech Republic are a goal up already too. This is going to be a long game...

Turned out quite short really. In a way I was glad it was all over early to save the pain.The commentary was awful given it was poor to start with and then they had nothing much to say after 20 minutes or so except to point out that Spain are pretty good.

Still, we can take some further feeling of injustice by Lithuania's poor side that they put out (allegedly, it may have been their best, I wouldn't really know). They threw in the towel in the cheating cunts derby.

Guest Gladstone

I don't know why I constantly get disappointed when Scotland don't qualify - I should learn to accept it by now... BUT, we fucking could have qualified (well got a play-off place) from that group. If we'd actually tried to beat Czech and Lithuania away from home, instead of setting out our stall against shite opposition. I know everyone said the 4-6-0 idea was ridiculous but I said before the game that we were giving Czech Republic far too much respect because they're nowhere near the force they used to be and it was quite clear early on in that game that they were pish and we really should have canned the formation early and chucked on a striker in the first half. If we'd had a go at them in that game we really could have beat them. Lithuania were even worse and we couldn't beat them away from home either. Out of the first three games, Liechtenstein were the toughest opponents but we jammied a win against them. We should have been going into that game full of confidence though having won our first 2 games against pish opponents. We might not then have been relying on either beating the best team in the world away from home or other results going in our favour in the last game. It's always the fucking same. In that campaign when we beat France twice it was that shocker of a performance away to Georgia that fucked our chances of qualifying really. Got to say I thought Scotland did quite well last night against a far superior team. They created a few chances and with a bit more composure we could actually have scored at least 3 goals. Spain would always have had another couple of gears though so I don't think we were ever going to get a result. But the chance at the back post for Naismith in the first half where he just couldn't get his head on it. Fletcher's shot just over the bar. Goodwillie's wild shot over the bar, which should have been squared for an open goal. The Berra header across the 6 yard box that a defender just got a fucking hair to... On another night another couple of them would have found the back of the net. What a penalty from Goodwillie though - cocky bastard.

Onwards and upwards though... I just hope Levein sticks around for the whole of the next campaign so we can have a bit of continuity for a change. I think that's our only realistic hope of getting a bit of momentum going. If McLeish hadn't left, I'm convinced we would have qualified from that group that Burley managed to fuck up so badly.

I thought we played well last night, particularly in the 2nd half, so I'm not really that disappointed. As Shaki said, it was all over quickly. It would have been so much worse if we'd gone 1-0 up and gone on to lose the game. Defensive errors were at the heart of all of their goals, but that's what Spain do, they draw men towards the ball and create gaps in defences. Its easy to point out what defenders should be doing, but its not as easy as "STAY ON YER MAN F**KING GARY CALDWELL, YEH PRICK" when you're up against Spain.

Overall, they looked like they were just having a kick about at points of the game, but I still think we put in a decent shift. Makail-Smith looks like a really good player. I think he'll play at a decent Premier League team one day soon. Naismith, who's usually the focus of my anger when I watch Scotland, was decent too. The whole midfield are actually pretty good, I don't see why Scott Brown should start ahead of any of the lads in midfield last night. "AYE BUT HE GETS IN YER FACE, KEN?" - f**k off. We have actually have talent in our midfield, which should be used.

I really want Levein to stick around too. He's made some dreadful tactical mistakes over the campaign, but hopefully he'll learn from them for world cup qualifications. He barely used 442 until last night, did he? He should definitely play more 442.

It was ridiculous that because we didn't play to beat the Czech republic away we ended up having to beat the european and world champions away to qualify. Stupid. Aside from that it's been a not too bad campaign with some promising signs for the future.

I think the second half changes that Spain made flattered our 4-4-2 somewhat. Not sure it would have been as effective had Xavi still been on the pitch. But Goodwillie and Mackail-Smith up front against a lesser team could definitely work if Goodwillie bothers to pass to his teammate occasionally.

Don't expect much from the World Cup group. Serbia, Croatia, Wales and Belgium is going to be ridiculously tight.

Guest Gladstone

Despite the fact Spain passed us off the pitch for much of the game, I agree that defensive and goalkeeping errors contributed to their goals. The first one, Caldwell (I think it was Caldwell) was really unlucky - he threw himself in front of the shot but it went through his legs, but I really think McGregor should have got something on it. He probably saw it late, but it was pretty much straight at him. A foot could have kept it out. The second, Caldwell backed off Silva in the box which was asking for trouble and McGregor seemed to be a bit slow to get down to it as well. And the third one, Bannan forgot to defend. He was strolling back when he should have been sprinting back. Very easy saying all this of course - it's a fucking hard task even staying in the match with a team as good as Spain. McGregor is normally fucking awesome so I'm going to let him off with a couple of goals he maybe should have got something on. Caldwell is generally pish but to be honest, I've thought he's been not too bad in the past few matches and him and Berra are probably the best partnership we have available.

The only games I really think Levein got it wrong tactically were the games away to Czech Republic and Lithuania. He should have started with 1 up front away to Czech Republic because on paper it's a tough game (not as tough as not playing any strikers!!) and we would need to keep it tight but as soon as we saw how horrendous they were playing, we should have attacked them a bit more and maybe moved to a 4-4-2. We should probably have gone 4-4-2 away to Lithuania as well. People may think you have to be cautious away from home but you can't go to these places looking for a draw when Spain is in your group and you're fighting for second place. You need to go to places like Lithuania and try to win the match. Against the Czechs who were our main rivals for second place, a bit of caution is required because you don't want to lose an early goal, but you have to have someone on the park to try to score a goal!! On paper, you should be happy with an away draw to the Czechs but they were really really bad, and we should have beaten them on the day. We were really unlucky at home but we invited the pressure on once we were in the lead in the second half!!

As for Scott Brown, I wouldn't have him in the team in front of any of those guys - not because I don't rate him because I think he is quite a good player and good enough for Scotland, but more because it seems to be a more balanced midfield. Darren Fletcher is more than capable of doing the "in your face" job that Scott Brown does against the superior opponents but he also knows how to keep possession and keep his head more importantly. Charlie Adam is composed (most of the time) on the ball and can pick a great pass. Bannan, Morrison and Naismith are all good attacking options and seem to be pretty hardworking off the ball too. Bannan loses his way a wee bit in matches and gets caught out of position but he's young and with those guys round about him, he'll come on and he's a great prospect. Naismith is a ned and is always a yellow card waiting to happen but he's a damn good player (by our standards!!) and can find the back of the net. Morrison showed flashes of brilliance last night actually - really quick feet! Brown is decent back up for that midfield, but I definitely wouldn't have had him in that team last night if he was available. He would have got frustrated and booted someone off the park and got a yellow card in the first 5 minutes probably. Brown was one of our best players recently - was it the Czechs? I can't remember. Yeah - I think it was. Him and Fletcher were both really good.

Guest Gladstone
Jonathan Wilson on the 4-4-2 system: http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/tactics-two’s-a-crowd

Edit: in reference to people wanting Scotland to deploy this formation against 'lesser' teams

I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 - never have been.

I'd prefer a team to play 3-5-2 but nobody seems to do it anymore. Wingbacks that can run fast, have a big engine and are capable of crossing a ball in to the box are key to the formation. They have the responsibility of covering the wide midfielders in the opposition team but also of getting forward and linking up with the attack. Not many teams play with more than 2 strikers and increasingly these days, teams only play with 1 striker. 3 defenders should be able to cope with that. 2 marking and 1 as sweeper. 3 in the centre of midfield - 1 deep, sometimes 2 deep depending on the opposition. Very similar to 4-5-1 but the extra striker obviously gives more options up front and means you can always have a striker central or someone to feed off of flick-ons etc. In the last 2 Scotland matches there were a couple of times when Mackail-Smith was out wide chasing the ball down and if he won it, someone from midfield would have to really bust a gut to get into the box and one time last night he flicked on a long ball but it just ran through to the keeper. If Goodwille had been partnering him up front he would have at least been putting that ball under pressure.

Some would say that 2 up front away to Spain is mental, but I'm not so sure. They build their attacks from defence and an extra man up top to put a bit of pressure may mean the attack building isn't quite so easy. But, saying that, they carved our 4 man defence wide open a few times so not sure if it wouldn't be suicide. The wingbacks would have to play more or less as full backs for the entire game against stronger opposition like Spain.

I've always been an advocate of 3-5-2 since getting torn apart by a team who played that formation against our very static 4-4-2. 2-0 down in about 10 minutes due to that extra man in the middle. I went from right back into holding midfield and completely nullified that threat, so it was 3-5-2 versus 3-5-2. The game finished 2-0 but that first 10 minutes had us all over the place, nobody knowing who to mark, which runs to cover etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15291986.stm

If ever there was a player we don't need...

We already have Paddy McCourt, Kris Commons and ditched Shaun Maloney. We don't need McFadden. We would be far better off trying to sort our shite defence out!

Disappointed my fantasy gay lover may move to the Old Firm :( Is there not a Championship club where he can be a sexy legend without offending my sense of decency?

I didn't even realise Maloney had moved to Wigan. Hasn't been good for a few years.

So, who's going to Pittodrie on Saturday? I missed the Dunfermline game so am hoping we carry on this rich vein of form :D

I am going because I always go. Hopefully we can keep up the momentum although I don't know if the international break will have affected us positively or negatively. Gonna go for 2-1 Aberdeen, Fallon and THE BEST MAN IN THE FUCKING WORLD SCOTT VERNON to net.