aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

So, Friday football at Pittodrie for the first time tonight. I'm heading along, but I fear it's going to be a fucking disaster. Crowds are already terrible, but with the added problem that it's on a working day, and on an evening when most people will have plans. Stewart Reagan said Friday football is in reponse to supporters demands for it.....but I haven't spoken to a soul who thinks it's a good idea.

Sounds like a desperate and ill-informed attempt to attract punters to me. Typical crowds for SPL games are in the 7-8000 range just now, and off the back of the E.Fife debacle, I'd predict 6000 tonight if we're lucky.

Worrying.

Friday night football is a fucking stupid idea. If nobody wants to see a team of hapless no-marks on a Saturday then why on earth would they want to on a Friday evening? I'm predicting 6,000 at best.

I actually can't be arsed going at all. If I wasn't a season ticket holder then I wouldn't be. Already exasperated with this team. I have always remained pretty upbeat about the Dons but 12 years of supporting them, and especially the last three, have been so testing that I'm just starting to get fed up of watching them...

Surely the point of Friday night football is that you go out with your mates on Friday night so why not combine that with a trip to the game beforehand and then go out after? Did i miss something or is that not a no-brainer?

I think that might work if the team was doing well, but seeing Aberdeen on current form would only piss you off or put you on a downer, and nobody wants that before a night out. I appreciate they couldn't account for that when they made the fixture list.

Although now you mention it Skacel, we have just humped teams out of the blue in the run of poor results before, let's hope tonight's the night!

I think that might work if the team was doing well, but seeing Aberdeen on current form would only piss you off or put you on a downer, and nobody wants that before a night out. I appreciate they couldn't account for that when they made the fixture list.

Although now you mention it Skacel, we have just humped teams out of the blue in the run of poor results before, let's hope tonight's the night!

So is it only Aberdeen that are playing Friday night games?

I'm just not sure how big a proportion of the typical Dons crowd the "go-out-in-town-with-your-mates" mob actually is.......and indeed, how many of that crowd would actually prefer to go the game vs. stay in the pub.

Many folk have other plans on weekend nights, and overall when compared to a Sat 3pm game, I just think there's more scope to lose our normal punters, than gain additional ones.

Guess we'll see tonight, but i ain't optimistic.

It's a shame, cos they're all going to miss a Josh Magennis hat-trick.

I'm just not sure how big a proportion of the typical Dons crowd the "go-out-in-town-with-your-mates" mob actually is.......and indeed, how many of that crowd would actually prefer to go the game vs. stay in the pub.

Many folk have other plans on weekend nights, and overall when compared to a Sat 3pm game, I just think there's more scope to lose our normal punters, than gain additional ones.

Guess we'll see tonight, but i ain't optimistic.

It's a shame, cos they're all going to miss a Josh Magennis hat-trick.

I'd say quite a few people would be of that type and even those who aren't may stay out for one or two after as a social activity.

As opposed to the people who have to miss weekend games because they work or have family commitments? Horses for courses.

So is it only Aberdeen that are playing Friday night games?

Well I think I can safely assume the teams we are playing also have Friday night games too ;)

All joking aside I'm not too sure if other teams are doing it for their home games, I think I heard mutterings about other teams. Oh well, at least it's a good night for it!

Well, it's always been referred to as an experiment, which I guess implies that nobody really knows how it will work out.

I'm not optimistic, but hey, there's no point discussing it to death, as we'll all find out in a few hours. Fingers crossed. :up:

Aye, it's an experiment to see if they can do something to improve attendances. You're right, it might not work but at least they're being pro-active and trying something different. I'm surprised that there's as much negativity towards it. They need to give it a few games as well anyway, no point in making a snap judgement based on the attendance of one game.

Guest Gladstone

I would have thought the idea would be that Aberdeen has a core support who turn up regardless (someone I know once floated the idea of cheaper tickets to Willie Miller and he said the reason they don't do it is because they wouldn't get enough extra people to justify it - the core would still come and they'd get less money overall) - who will be there tonight, but there's a lot of people who can't justify buggering up their entire Saturday to go to a football match (family commitments, nagging wife, their own football to play etc) who will be able to go because it's on a Friday.

I don't think they'll lose any punters tonight, but they might gain some - I would have thought that's the thinking behind it.

Being fucking shite doesn't help attendances regardless of what day of the week it is though.

Surely the point of Friday night football is that you go out with your mates on Friday night so why not combine that with a trip to the game beforehand and then go out after? Did i miss something or is that not a no-brainer?

ugh, i liked a post by alkaline in the football thread. how'd that happen?

but, this is right. i've heard folk talking up friday night football for years adn citing spain as a good example of it working. it's worth a shot and beats sunday lunchtime football anyway. in saying that, i'm not going because i'm utterly broke. boo.