aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone

Really? It was a petulant kick at an opponent, nothing more. Had to be a red card, but I wouldn't be happy if one of my players got more than 1 match for that, maybe 2 at a stretch. There are far worse offences get lesser bans than that.

Really? It was a petulant kick at an opponent, nothing more. Had to be a red card, but I wouldn't be happy if one of my players got more than 1 match for that, maybe 2 at a stretch. There are far worse offences get lesser bans than that.

Gervinho got 3 games for "slapping" Joey Barton, if those type of incidents deserve 3 game bans then Rooneys does for sure. I was surprised to not see him get special treatment and just get a 1 game ban.

Guest Gladstone

Would you take Rooney to the Euros anyway? It's a debate that will go on and on and on...

I've been thinking about it and (obviously dependent on form going into the end of the season and injuries aside etc.) I think I would have him in the 23 man squad and tell him he has to knuckle the fuck down and show in training that he's going to give 100% to the team etc. and tell whoever else is in the squad and picked for the first 3 matches that if they play really well, grab a goal or two and lead the team out of the group stages that they will be first pick. Try to use keeping Rooney out of the team as an incentive. Let's be honest, he'd be a fucking awesome sub / back-up striker to have at your disposal.

Would you take Rooney to the Euros anyway? It's a debate that will go on and on and on...

I've been thinking about it and (obviously dependent on form going into the end of the season and injuries aside etc.) I think I would have him in the 23 man squad and tell him he has to knuckle the fuck down and show in training that he's going to give 100% to the team etc. and tell whoever else is in the squad and picked for the first 3 matches that if they play really well, grab a goal or two and lead the team out of the group stages that they will be first pick. Try to use keeping Rooney out of the team as an incentive. Let's be honest, he'd be a fucking awesome sub / back-up striker to have at your disposal.

I wonder if you'll be in contention for the England job after Capello after that display of management nous? ;)

Rooney has to go. In a 23-man squad you're probably looking at four, if not five strikers.

Rooney

Bent

Defoe

Sturridge

Wellbeck

Carroll

Zamora

Five from the above seven, form dependent? Looks like Crouch is out of the reckoning, and can't see him playing his way into the squad between now and then at Stoke.

So, if I was picking the five (the ban shelved for the moment), I'd go with Rooney, Bent, Sturridge, Wellbeck and Carroll. Realistically if you were to remove Rooney (the stand-out 'star' striker) you're not replacing like-for-like, you're replacing a first choice with a sixth choice (who will probably not get a game anyway). So you get through the group stage with Carroll and Wellbeck (or whatever it is by that time) upfront (your second and third choicers) - let's face it, you're not going to win the World Cup if you can't get through the group stage missing one (albeit key) player - and you have a fresh, hungry and 'showing the country he's sorry' Wayne Rooney ready to lift the team in the knockout stages.

It's a complete no-brainer for me.

I worry about the "fresh, hungry and showing the country he's sorry" Wayne Rooney. He tries too hard and when Rooney tries too hard he's not as effective. Gotta take him though.

A lot depends on the formation that we play. The last couple of games have been a 4-2-3-1 with a 3 of Young + Rooney + Downing or Walcott. I could see Ashley Young being moved into Rooney's role and having 2 of Downing/Johnson/Walcott on the wings.

Guest Gladstone
I wonder if you'll be in contention for the England job after Capello after that display of management nous? ;)

Rooney has to go. In a 23-man squad you're probably looking at four, if not five strikers.

Rooney

Bent

Defoe

Sturridge

Wellbeck

Carroll

Zamora

Five from the above seven, form dependent? Looks like Crouch is out of the reckoning, and can't see him playing his way into the squad between now and then at Stoke.

So, if I was picking the five (the ban shelved for the moment), I'd go with Rooney, Bent, Sturridge, Wellbeck and Carroll. Realistically if you were to remove Rooney (the stand-out 'star' striker) you're not replacing like-for-like, you're replacing a first choice with a sixth choice (who will probably not get a game anyway). So you get through the group stage with Carroll and Wellbeck (or whatever it is by that time) upfront (your second and third choicers) - let's face it, you're not going to win the World Cup if you can't get through the group stage missing one (albeit key) player - and you have a fresh, hungry and 'showing the country he's sorry' Wayne Rooney ready to lift the team in the knockout stages.

It's a complete no-brainer for me.

It's a complete no-brainer aside from the fact that Rooney hasn't scored in the finals of an international tournament since 2004...

Does that change your view?

It doesn't change mine.

I would win the World Cup if I was England manager. I can't believe how fucking shit England managers are at times.

[/FATSAM]

Rooney is a fucking awesome player. He's probably the only real match winner in the squad, capable of just taking a game by the scruff of the neck.

Young and Walcott have shown glimpses of being able to do the same (walcott in a devastating wing pace kinda way and Young a bit more jinky than Rooney) but it's a total no-brainer to take him to the Euros. Unbelievably stupid of him to get sent off. Shows he's still just a brainless idiot.

Guest Gladstone

He shouldn't have played in that game on Friday. It was ridiculously stupid of him to get sent off but with his dad getting locked up and all that stuff a player that has a history of being temperamental should have just been left out. They only needed a draw to win the group, surely the rest of the team could get a draw without Rooney in the team. And even having played him at 2-0 up, Capello should have taken Rooney off (nothing to do with the situation with his Dad etc. but just to not risk anything happening to his star man).

Do you agree with what Capello says about not playing Rooney in any of the warm-up matches? I don't think that's a good idea at all. If he's going to be in the squad for the tournament he should be in the squad for the warm-up matches and should play in at least some of the matches. The only way he should drop him all together for the warm-up matches is if he isn't going to take him to the Euros. I wouldn't actually be that surprised if Capello doesn't take him to the Euros despite the fact everyone else can see that he's England's best player.

(EDIT: I heard his Dad had £1000 on Rooney to get sent off on Friday...)

Unless he has a severe downturn in form for the rest of the season or an injury that rules him out for the summer he'll get called up. I'd also expect him to be a regular second half substitute in friendlies, there's little point in starting him as it's more important for whoever is likely to play in the group games to get a start. Maybe we'll start playing as a team without a 'star player' to pin all our hopes and expectations onto.

You are suffering from a mental illness/lack of understanding of football if you don't think Wayne Rooney should be in the England squad.

England could be knocked out before he's allowed to play a match. It's well worth considering not taking him at all. If I was Fabio it wouldn't be an easy decision, I guess I'd probably pick him in the end though.

I don't think anyone should be complaining about the three match ban for Rooney, it was thoroughly deserved. Daft little man but he still should be taken to the euros on the off chance England might progress.

Meanwhile in my world of slapdash toilet football a mouth-watering home match against another football giant Alfreton Town! Oh the joy.... at least the sun shines here in East Anglia! Should be an easy three points but they did cunt us 6-3 last season in the FA Trophy whilst a Blue Square North team and we were at flipping home... mind you that clueless cretin Martin Ling was still in charge then!

England could be knocked out before he's allowed to play a match. It's well worth considering not taking him at all. If I was Fabio it wouldn't be an easy decision, I guess I'd probably pick him in the end though.

I doubt that would be a consideration to those selecting the team though. With the strikers available England should be more than capable of getting through the groups and they should probably be expecting to do so. The issue will be in taking Rooney do they take an extra striker on the chance they have injuries during the group stages and his red card has certainly given them a selection problem in choosing the quantity of players to take in each area of the pitch.

He'd still be one of the first names on my squad list for the reason of having a world class player in the team for the knockout stages of the tournament - basically where it is won or lost. England will be going to Ukraine/Poland with the aim of winning the competition so I'm sure that is what the team will be selected for.