aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone
I think, like in the RWC the other week, that we might actually take the lead against Spain and look like we're in the driving seat to qualify. We'll all get excited for 10 minutes before eventually losing 3-1 to a second half skelping.

That is also a distinct possibility. Whatever happens though - we'll be really really close to qualifying...

My heart says: "its our turn to qualify, we've not been in a competition since 1998!" and my head says "emm, we're playing Spain. You know, the best team in the world. The current world and European champions."

We can hope, but I honestly can't see anything other than a skelping tomorrow night. Fuck, I'd absolutely love to qualify though, and if we can qualify, I'll be smiling right up intil the finals. Come on lads, prove me wrong!

Think Miller and Mackail-Smith are both doubtful as it stands and I don't think there's any point being super defensive against Spain as they can break anything down. i.e. we're dooooomed. I'm tempted to get a live stream of the Czech game as that's where the realistic hope lies. I read yesterday that the Czechs were booed by their own fans who are calling for their coach to be sacked so let's hope they implode.

This isn't even the final hurdle anyway. Even if we are lucky we've got a play off against a team of equal (at the very least) ability to contend with.

Is it 2016 that they're raising the number of teams in the finals from 16 to 24? That's our best bet...

...and I'm usually unrealistically optimistic.

The past four years we've gone into the last game needing a win against the big guns and fucked it up. See 2010: Netherlands. 2008: Italy. I predict heroic failure, sadly. Still, I'll be screaming my lungs out at the telly on Tuesday night.

Incidentally, who the fuck is Craig Mackail-Smith? I know I don't follow football as closely as I used to, but it's been a while since Scotland have had a player in the team I've never actually heard of.

He plays for Brighton. Not sure why he's playing ahead of Goodwillie or Ross McCormack. Took his goal well on Saturday mind.

I watched a bit of the Brighton Leeds game a couple of weeks ago and he was on fire.

I'd have guessed he was more Brazilian than Scottish judging by his performance in that game.

Goodwillie has hardly lit up the EPL since moving there, infact i dont think he has really had a shot on target so far! McCormack should have been in the squad tho, he has been on fire so far this season.

Where is Maguire? Why is he not leading the line for us tonight?? Oh wait he has only played about 40 minutes of first team football this year, what a great move that is turning out to be for the kid.

Levin needs to suck it up and get Fletcher back playing, he is by far the best striker we have at the moment, both of them need to grow up and sort it out, if they dont do it soon it will never happen.

Agree completely. Heard the usual "no player is bigger than Scotland" lark, but none of our other forwards are anywhere as near as good as Fletcher. He's a very well-rounded striker who's scoring goals in the Premier League and can play in a number of different positions. We're shooting ourselves in the foot by not bringing him back, even if he was a bit cunty in the first place.

Don't ask me why, but something I thought about the other day whilst watching the Scotland game was can only professional players play for the national team? They'd probably be playing professionally anyway if they were that good, but could Jimmy Bloggs from the street play for Scotland or even someone from a Highland League team?

Don't ask me why, but something I thought about the other day whilst watching the Scotland game was can only professional players play for the national team? They'd probably be playing professionally anyway if they were that good, but could Jimmy Bloggs from the street play for Scotland or even someone from a Highland League team?

See Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, San Marino etc. (sometimes not far off our level!)

Goodwillie has hardly lit up the EPL since moving there, infact i dont think he has really had a shot on target so far! McCormack should have been in the squad tho, he has been on fire so far this season.

Where is Maguire? Why is he not leading the line for us tonight?? Oh wait he has only played about 40 minutes of first team football this year, what a great move that is turning out to be for the kid.

Goodwillie hit the bar and then the post in his first two sub appearances and since then I think he's only started one game that he wasnt very effective in and scored 1 and set up another in the Lager cup as Soda Jerk said. So he's hardly had a terrible start. He's just on a poor team so that does limit chances.

Guest Gladstone

Same starting line-up as Saturday:

McGregor

Hutton Berra Caldwell Bardsley

Morrison Bannan Fletcher Adam Naismith

Mackail-Smith

Disappointed Miller isn't fit to start - he's the guy we need to play this kind of team to be honest. Mackail-Smith is a big hardy hoor and puts in a load of effort though, so not much different from Miller. Miller just has far more experience. Adam, Naismith, Morrison and Bannan all capable of pulling a wonder goal out of the bag and delighted Fletcher has made it - he's our best player at the moment. Our defence is fucking shite though, so I'm a bit worried about that - best defence available though probably. Good job McGregor's behind that defence because, despite being a fucking bellend, he's an ace keeper!

C'MON LITHUANIA!!