aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

It's the boards problem though, so what does it matter whose fault it is?

It's not their fault 100%, no, but they have very few initiatives to bring back more fans. Decisions like disbanding the seating areas for the ultras for example contribute to a worse atmosphere in the stadium, do you not agree?

So it's the board's fault that our fans are shit?

Wow.

You're really banging the drum on this blame the fans shit. I really don't think you can blame a team of professional sportsmen getting beaten by a team of part-timers on shit fans. We should be beating them 10 times out of 10, regardless of circumstances, no excuses. There's no doubt the fans have some effect on the match, but I don't think it affects the players as much as you seem to think it does. If you're a professional footballer and you let your decision making on the pitch be affected by the fans getting on your back, or shouting "shoot!" or whatever, then you're just not a very good professional footballer. You also seem to be under the impression that this is exclusively an Aberdeen thing, which it isn't. Yes we put a lot of pressure on the players to get results, but that happens everywhere, I've sat in the home end at Ibrox and the fans there give their players absolute pelters if they're not 1-0 up in the first ten minutes, shouting abuse at their own players and whatnot. And this weekend Wolves got booed heavily by their own fans in the first half of their game against QPR. Rightly or wrongly, football fans do it everywhere, and they have every right to.

The board at AFC are a disgrace. Nothing will change while there is no change at the top.The same thing will happen to every manager.

Brown may have signed some good players, but they are all central midfielders.

Added to that half the team are playing out of position.

Our defence is so slow and we still have no full backs. We have no wingers. We have an array of shit strikers.

It was obvious which areas needed strengthened and it hasn't been done. No brainer.

You're really banging the drum on this blame the fans shit. I really don't think you can blame a team of professional sportsmen getting beaten by a team of part-timers on shit fans. We should be beating them 10 times out of 10, regardless of circumstances, no excuses. There's no doubt the fans have some effect on the match, but I don't think it affects the players as much as you seem to think it does. If you're a professional footballer and you let your decision making on the pitch be affected by the fans getting on your back, or shouting "shoot!" or whatever, then you're just not a very good professional footballer. You also seem to be under the impression that this is exclusively an Aberdeen thing, which it isn't. Yes we put a lot of pressure on the players to get results, but that happens everywhere, I've sat in the home end at Ibrox and the fans there give their players absolute pelters if they're not 1-0 up in the first ten minutes, shouting abuse at their own players and whatnot. And this weekend Wolves got booed heavily by their own fans in the first half of their game against QPR. Rightly or wrongly, football fans do it everywhere, and they have every right to.

I am banging the drum, cos I do think it's an issue. I know not many agree with me, but when you look at our record over 20 years, getting humped by diddies, bad league finishes, no trophies etc etc etc, you have to start looking beyond managers (we've had more than most) and start looking at common denominators, things that are a problem, that have been present throughout.

I'm not blaming the fans entirely, although I accept I sound like it....but I do think we're harder on our team than most, and I think the evidence shows it's utterly counter-productive.

Obviously, we should be doing better...much, much better, and I 100% agree that we should be gubbing teams like East Fife even on one of our bad days. This team is not the strongest we've ever had, but on paper it should be way to strong for a div 2 side. Trouble is that this sort of defeat has been going on for so long, there must be some problem at the club that is systemic, and goes beyond the current manager and the current crop of players.

I'm not blaming the fans entirely, although I accept I sound like it....but I do think we're harder on our team than most, and I think the evidence shows it's utterly counter-productive.

Every single club in the world get pelters from their fans. Aberdeen FC are no different. People pay their money they have every right to complain.

The problem with AFC is that Stewart Milne came along and pissed away millions of pounds on shite players/managers in order to try and keep up with old firm (Paul Bernard, Brian O'Neil, Tzanko Tvetanov, Alex Miller et al anyone?).

He got us into crippling debt and now we are in a vicious cycle and can't get out of said debt. Dick Donald would be spinning in his grave.

It was a bad one last night and we haven't done well in the league so far but let's not overreact. Brown put his finger on it when he said that he shouldn't have rested any first team players last night because the guys he put out weren't good enough. I appreciate it's his job to know that in advance but I think that was the problem. Our first 11 are pretty decent and I think we'll start picking up the points in the league soon. I still maintain Fallon will come good.

I don't think the fans were that bad last night compared to any other club in the same circumstances. Good passages of play and near misses were applauded last night and bad passes were met with the sound of frustration. It's not exclusive to AFC nor is it exclusive to the fans - I overheard Foster tell Magennis that he was "doing fucking nothing out there"!

Top 6 finish and a Scottish cup win is still on :)

In hindsight we should have never sacked JC. Best Aberdeen manager in 20 years.

In hindsight we should have never sacked JC. Best Aberdeen manager in 20 years.

20/20 hindsight. I was more patient with him than most, but by the time he went I was calling for his head too. JC had some real quality in the ranks though, Anderson, Diamond (sometimes), Clark, Nicholson, Hart, Lovell, Lee Miller, Josh Walker, a fully fit Sone Aluko... we had a better squad than most of the SPL when he was in charge. Way better players than we have now.

Inter fire Gasperini after 3 league games. Pretty mad on the surface but he was never the right man for the job. That's not as mad as Palermo, though, who sacked Stefano Pioli before the start of the Serie A season because chairman Maurizio Zamparini "had a feeling we were going to get relegated". Pioli had only been appointed in June.

Italy is mental. Attilio Tesser is the longest-serving manager at current Serie A club: he was appointed in 2009 (!) and coaches newly-promoted Novara.

I reckon he's gonna make a career-ending cameo to remember. He'll score two, set up two then go out in a blaze of glory on the 60 minute mark when his knee caves in. It's written in the stars.

There will be an audible "pop" when his knees implode of course. Seriously though, i've seen video evidence that he's back to full fitness!!!

Every single club in the world get pelters from their fans. Aberdeen FC are no different. People pay their money they have every right to complain.

The problem with AFC is that Stewart Milne came along and pissed away millions of pounds on shite players/managers in order to try and keep up with old firm (Paul Bernard, Brian O'Neil, Tzanko Tvetanov, Alex Miller et al anyone?).

He got us into crippling debt and now we are in a vicious cycle and can't get out of said debt. Dick Donald would be spinning in his grave.

========

Partly ... but Aberdeen were shite before Stewart Milne came along ... They were a great team whilst Alex Ferguson was the manager, that period of success has been a millstone of unrealistic expectations on Aberdeen fans since.

========

Partly ... but Aberdeen were shite before Stewart Milne came along ... They were a great team whilst Alex Ferguson was the manager, that period of success has been a millstone of unrealistic expectations on Aberdeen fans since.

This.

The Fergie-era has just led to unrealistic expectations of repeat success ever since. Interestingly, one of the closest anyone got to getting them there was Jimmy Calderwood. When they were flying in the upper reaches of the SPL and doing decent in Europe it was all "Jimmy, Jimmy, give us a wave" from the stands when he emerged from the tunnel. Then as soon as things started going pear-shaped it was calls for his head. Repeat ad-nauseum for any sucker to take the job on who can't perform miracles with what he has at his disposal. Along with "Get Milne oot!", as if some billionaire is going to come along and save the day.

There are far too many elements in a big melting pot that have led to Aberdeen's current state and it seems unlikely there will be any easy fix. To be honest a slide into the First Division and a complete restructuring with players at that level who have ability, hunger to do better and none of the prima-donna expectations of those who seem to inhabit the SPL would probably be the best thing to happen, however how the whole financial system would cope with that I have no idea.

It's a sad mess to be sure.

it'll be celtic's then.

St Mirren v Ayr United

Dundee Utd v Falkirk

Hibs v Celtic

Kilmarnock v East Fife

Away to Hibs isn't that easy for them (although Hibs seem a bit cack at the moment). Killie will rip East Fife to bits just to make us look even worse.

Quite why I'm voicing an opinion on the Diddy Cup when we're not even in it any more I just don't know.....

I partly agree that Dons fans have overly high expectations, although I don't think most sane fans have aspirations of doing anything better than 3rd/4th spot in the league, a cup final every once in a while and perhaps the odd Euro adventure....surely dumping East Fife, QoS et al on a regular basis isn't too much to ask?