aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I don't think I've tried good gin. Got a bottle of Gordon's someone left over at my stag weekend and that's what I'm basing my distaste of gin on.

Very good rum can be very very nice, similar to whisky. Think I've got some crap rum in a cupboard but suspect it'll be a bit meh like JD and coke.

Depends on the rum tbh, more and more places are selling the likes of Kracken now though. Morgan's Spiced is baws, but Captain Morgan's is awright. Make a mission of getting blasted one night in the moorings asking the bar staff to give you random combinations of shit. Or point to random strangers who aren't drinking beer and say "I want what they're having."

Also, Tia Maria and orange Lucozade = DA BOMB.

xx

I dig Bourbon and Coke, but it has to be coke with sugar. Diet Coke just doesn't have the same taste. It's much sharper, and has an unpleasant bitterness to it. Adding a splash of Lime cordial is great too, but you're getting into girly cocktail territory. I do it at home, when nobody is looking and is able to judge me. I usually go for Jim Beam (preferably the cherry flavored Red Stag) or Buffalo Trace over JD though, though I had some JD Gentleman Jack recently and it was awesome.

Dark Rum and Orange Juice is great too, and usually cheap, as it's usually just that cheapo OJ out of a carton which if often cheaper than a glass of Coke.

Are you a cider man? Again, most pubs have mostly crap cider like Strongbow or Magners, but better stuff creeping into the fridges of some places now. Some places have started serving the boxes of the non-carbonated scrumpy. That stuff is the bomb.

What can I drink instead of beer on a night out?

Chris, check out Hendricks if you want to try out a decent gin. It's pretty commonplace in a lot of bars now, I like it with soda but works as well with tonic. Served with cucumber rather than lime and tastes delicious. Made in Scotland, too.

http://www.hendricksgin.com/

• Upvote 1

I dig Bourbon and Coke, but it has to be coke with sugar. Diet Coke just doesn't have the same taste. It's much sharper, and has an unpleasant bitterness to it. Adding a splash of Lime cordial is great too, but you're getting into girly cocktail territory. I do it at home, when nobody is looking and is able to judge me. I usually go for Jim Beam (preferably the cherry flavored Red Stag) or Buffalo Trace over JD though, though I had some JD Gentleman Jack recently and it was awesome.

Dark Rum and Orange Juice is great too, and usually cheap, as it's usually just that cheapo OJ out of a carton which if often cheaper than a glass of Coke.

Are you a cider man? Again, most pubs have mostly crap cider like Strongbow or Magners, but better stuff creeping into the fridges of some places now. Some places have started serving the boxes of the non-carbonated scrumpy. That stuff is the bomb.

Not a cider drinker, but have started drinking the odd bottle of good cider in summer. But switching to cider is going to give me the same problem as beer. i.e. feeling bloated from drinking large pints and a crap hangover.  That's why I want to switch halfway through the night.  Need something I can sip that won't get me too trashed.

I might experiment with bourbon and rum.

I do like cocktails but that's an expensive way to go.  I have had some success with vodka and cranberry but it's not the manliest drink to order...

Chris, check out Hendricks if you want to try out a decent gin. It's pretty commonplace in a lot of bars now, I like it with soda but works as well with tonic. Served with cucumber rather than lime and tastes delicious. Made in Scotland, too.

http://www.hendricksgin.com/

I love hendricks.  not tried it with soda though, might give that a go tonight. 

+ 1 on ginger ale being a better alternative to most sodas.

Also, I quite like getting straight liquor and putting some lime syrup in it. Not quite a cocktail but still very sippable.

A fairly unpopular drink I like is Pernod/Pastis with water and a few ice cubes. I don't like sweet drinks and this has a lot of volume. An aquired taste for sure though. Possibly my favourite summer drink.

Not a cider drinker, but have started drinking the odd bottle of good cider in summer. But switching to cider is going to give me the same problem as beer. i.e. feeling bloated from drinking large pints and a crap hangover.  That's why I want to switch halfway through the night.  Need something I can sip that won't get me too trashed.

I might experiment with bourbon and rum.

I do like cocktails but that's an expensive way to go.  I have had some success with vodka and cranberry but it's not the manliest drink to order...

I get the bloatyness too after about 5 pints, without even feeling remotely cut. Probably doesn't help that I drink quite fast too, so it just builds up and I feel like I've eaten a huge meal. Then again, I find I have killer hangovers if I drink different drinks throughout the night. If I stick to one thing, I tend to wake up fine. I think starting on beer and moving to spirits would make me head cave in 12 hours later.

A house blended whisky is good with ginger ale too. A twist of orange peel adds some welcome zest. Although you're unlikely to get a  twist of orange peel in a bar unless you go to a cocktail bar or a bar that carries Blue Moon and tends to serve it with the slice.

I definitely endorse Adam's suggestion of Hendricks with soda water and cucumber.

How about a nice Bloody Mary? That said, it's hard to find the appeal of drinking more than a couple of those.

Edited by Eupraxia

I know what you mean, I'm a Guinness man and I'm tapping out after 4-5 pints and looking for something less ... physically substantial.

Gin?  Look for Caorunn http://www.caorunngin.com/ or Blackwood's http://blackwoodsgin.net/.  Hendricks is nae bad but there are better out there.

Rum?  Angostura 1919 http://www.angostura.com/ is pretty damn nice, and Brugal http://www.brugal-ron.com/ is decent too.

Agreed about some ginger ale for a change of mixer.

• Upvote 1