aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I know there's better places to go for medical advice, but I trust you dicks. Plus I'm sure I've read other people on here having the same thing. I've woken up this morning completely deaf in one ear. It's as though my right ear is underwater, and there's this annoying whooshy, hummy noise in it all the time. Anyone suggest a remedy?

I know there's better places to go for medical advice, but I trust you dicks. Plus I'm sure I've read other people on here having the same thing. I've woken up this morning completely deaf in one ear. It's as though my right ear is underwater, and there's this annoying whooshy, hummy noise in it all the time. Anyone suggest a remedy?

Stop sleeping in the bath.

• Upvote 2

Did you wake up like that or did you get water in it when you were in the shower? Water in the ear is well annoying but I'm not sure there's a more satisfying feeling than when you finally shake it out of there.

Uh-oh... we're gonna end up with more ear-syringing chat.

It's most likely a build up of wax beyond the reachable cotton bud area. You've maybe pushed some in so it's become compacted. I've had this a few times. Some people just produce a lot of tatties in their lugs.

Go to the chemist and get some ear drops. put a load in and lie on your side for 15 mins. It's so satisfying letting it crackle and pop. It'll come out naturally and you can just wipe it away with tissue. 

The feeling of satisfaction one gleans from an immediately syringed ear is pretty remarkable. It's almost as good as ejaculating.

That's probably what you need done, Lucky. Aye, I mean ejaculating, that is. Go have a wank. Your ear trouble will dissolve.

Please report back with success/failure as I could really be doing with something similar. 10+ years of playing in loud practice rooms must have done something to my ears. I wonder if I really know what it's like to actually hear stuff.

No drops are going to help you with that, if it's noise exposure related hearing loss you're talking about.  All you can do is use earplugs from now on to stop it getting any worse.

No drops are going to help you with that, if it's noise exposure related hearing loss you're talking about.  All you can do is use earplugs from now on to stop it getting any worse.

I just mean a wax build-up more than long-term damage tbh. If my ears fill up with wax after going to see a gig, I'm sure there will be an accumulation after many years of never having my ears syringed. LOVELY.

Uh-oh... we're gonna end up with more ear-syringing chat.

Quite rightly. Getting your ears blasted is better than Christmas.

It seems unlikely to be loud-noise related if you've just woken up and you feel completely deaf in one ear. Chances are you've slept on it in a way that has pushed wax into your ear. when I had waxy ears, I could temporarily unblock it if I pulled my ear back, as it seemed to stretch the ear canal, but then it went back to being blocked as I let go. So got them rinsed out, and now I hear in sonar.