aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Anyone know of any landlords renting out their flats/houses who would accept cats? Our landlord is selling, and pretty much all the big lettings agents give an instant 'no' when asking about pets. Not a clue what to do!

I think I know someone that would be able to help - the flat is in Rosemount. How long are you looking to take on a lease for? Pretty long-term? You can take this to PMs/Facebook if you want. :up:

Anyone know of any landlords renting out their flats/houses who would accept cats? Our landlord is selling, and pretty much all the big lettings agents give an instant 'no' when asking about pets. Not a clue what to do!

Just dont tell them, make sure you know when they are coming for visits so you can hide evidence of the cat being there. I got away with it for two years with my cat, when they came to inspect, the cat would go for a car ride with my flat mate and her stuff went into a cupboard, they were none the wiser and i got my full deposite back.

• Upvote 1

I want to buy an external hard drive that has veritable fuck-ton of room.  I don't want to spend much money and I want to avoid getting one that requires software.  Can anyone recommend one?  Under £50. 

You probably already know this, but avoid WD like the plague. My hard-drive was one of theirs and it just fucked for no reason whilst I was backing up one day. Lost everything on it, including stuff I'd deleted off my laptop thinking that it'd be safe on the hard-drive.

I've been recommended 'G-Drives', but they seem pretty expensive. I've heard quite good things about Samsung ones and it looks as though you can get a 1TB one for just over £50 from amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361445092&sr=8-8

• Upvote 1

I want to buy an external hard drive that has veritable fuck-ton of room.  I don't want to spend much money and I want to avoid getting one that requires software.  Can anyone recommend one?  Under £50. 

Touch over your budget, but getting 1TB for under £50 will be a stretch. A 512GB will probably cost about £45-50 so you're as well pushing up to nearer £60 for twice the storage.

EDIT: Link. Derp. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Samsung-1TB-M3-External-2-5-Portable-Hard-Drive-USB-3-0-Black-/121020040214?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item1c2d5b4416

xx

EDIT2 - Also note that this is USB 3.0, which is fast as fuck. Massive step up from USB 2.0. If you have a USB 3.0 compatible computer, it'd definitely worth getting.

Edited by Stroopy121
  • Upvote 1

You probably already know this, but avoid WD like the plague. My hard-drive was one of theirs and it just fucked for no reason whilst I was backing up one day. Lost everything on it, including stuff I'd deleted off my laptop thinking that it'd be safe on the hard-drive.

I've been recommended 'G-Drives', but they seem pretty expensive. I've heard quite good things about Samsung ones and it looks as though you can get a 1TB one for just over £50 from amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361445092&sr=8-8

A hard drive is moving parts. Don't assume any data is safe if it's just held in one place. The hard drive could just fail one day or something could fall on it while the disc is spinning and fuck it over that way.  Doesn't matter which brand the HD is, you should store really important stuff in more than one place.

If you are looking for an external hard drive just for backup purposes and you've got a decent Internet connection at home/work etc then you might want to consider backing up to the cloud instead (e.g. Dropbox, Box, Amazon S3 etc.) It's much cheaper, more secure and avoids the false feeling of security that using an external USB drive gives like Chris points out. The only inconvenience is that you need an Internet connection to backup/restore, but if it's for stuff you won't be accessing often then this usually isn't a problem.

A hard drive is moving parts. Don't assume any data is safe if it's just held in one place. The hard drive could just fail one day or something could fall on it while the disc is spinning and fuck it over that way.  Doesn't matter which brand the HD is, you should store really important stuff in more than one place.

I'm not a millionaire, Chris!

No, I know, but it broke within three months and they were pretty useless when it came to helping so now I hate them.

Just dont tell them, make sure you know when they are coming for visits so you can hide evidence of the cat being there. I got away with it for two years with my cat, when they came to inspect, the cat would go for a car ride with my flat mate and her stuff went into a cupboard, they were none the wiser and i got my full deposite back.

This is not good. If I was the landlord and I really didn't want pets in the property I own and am renting out and this was happening I would overflow with rage.

He's sorted now, anyway, I believe. Thanks to me being the best person ever.

I basically need one to transfer all my custom made models.  As an Economist I model a variety of situations, scenarios; many of which i have done in my current job.  Basically I want to store all my models, each made for different purposes, so that when I go into a new job I don't to start at square one again. 

I have a dropbox.  If you pay for it, can you get hunners of storage?  Might be an idea.  I probably will just pay the extra £10-£20 for a 1TB, if I get an actual hardrive.  Would the hardrives of that capacity, at that price, not be quite shitty though? 

I basically need one to transfer all my custom made models.  As an Economist I model a variety of situations, scenarios; many of which i have done in my current job.  Basically I want to store all my models, each made for different purposes, so that when I go into a new job I don't to start at square one again. 

I have a dropbox.  If you pay for it, can you get hunners of storage?  Might be an idea.  I probably will just pay the extra £10-£20 for a 1TB, if I get an actual hardrive.  Would the hardrives of that capacity, at that price, not be quite shitty though? 

Nope. As I said, USB 3.0 is nice and quick and as for physical build quality, these things are generally fairly similar across the board. The only way to make it more reliable is to get solid state memory, but that'd cost a fucktonne more for being slightly more robust, but still not as robust as cloud storage a la dropbox.

xx

As Neil said you can do a secondary backup to cloud storage (google drive, MS Skydrive, Dropbox, Flickr, Facebook even if it's photos) for low cost or free in some cases.

Or even just leave the original files on your PC so at least then they're in two places but you might need to free up the space.  There's always the old burn to DVD option too.

Incidentally we say all this but most of us in IT are just as useless at following this advice.

This is not good. If I was the landlord and I really didn't want pets in the property I own and am renting out and this was happening I would overflow with rage.

He's sorted now, anyway, I believe. Thanks to me being the best person ever.

If you never knew they were there you'd be none the wiser ;)

The thing is as well, the majority dont want purely because it increases the chances of them maybe having to do the place up, not because they hate animals. Also allergies can come into it obviously.

Anyway, as you say he is sorted. :)

• Upvote 1

No, I know, but it broke within three months and they were pretty useless when it came to helping so now I hate them.

I dropped my 1T WD hard drive, DIT were able to recover almost all the files (expect from my The Ultimate Fighter series) - I gave them a BIG tin of choccies, and I sent it back to WD - got a replacement a week or so later.  I have a WD passport too, that I prefer.  My replacement 1T hard drive started smoking for no reason (no "aw did it need a nicotine fix" gags, please) and again WD were happy to replace it - I was even a week outwith the warranty, but they happily replace it.

The passport hasn't fucked up yet, and the big hard drive is fine.  I will be looking to get another one to make sure everything is backed up, I have a LOT of music I wouldn't want to lose...

Edited by Slutbags McGee

+2 for the Seagate drives though I've heard from the IT folks at work that excessive load and download to the passport drives kills them pretty quick (like loading and unloading large GB's of data almost daily for 6months).  I've used mine for large file transfer but mainly just music storage so the upload/downloading isn't too excessive, I've had no issues in the +2years I've had it and its been happy getting dropped and chucked in my bag at the end of the day.