aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

How do i stop smoking?

I've tried unsuccesfully for some time now and can't crack it. Anyone have any wonder cures?

Stop buying cigarettes. Don't drink so much. Get a girlfriend that doesn't smoke (that did it for me). Exercise more (helps the craving and minimises weight gain from increased appetite).

Patches, sprays and e-cigarettes are all well and good but the main thing you need to do it break the routine of smoking. You can beat the nicotine with willpower in a few days but it takes weeks and months to get out of the habit of wanting a smoke after a meal or while you're having a pint.

Doesn't everyone have good health reasons to stop smoking?

Well, yes but most smokers just ignore them. Mine wasn't lung related or anything, I used to get insanely bad stomach pain when I worked offshore and couldn't figure out what was causing it, tried eliminating obvious foodstuffs that I only had offshore but nothing seemed to cure it, then a guy pointed out that smoking can irritate the stomach, which I never realised. There was no smoking in the cabins so there was a tendency to chain smoke pre-bedtime and I would sometimes be kept awake with stomach pain until after 2 which is crap when you are getting up at 5 for a 12 hour shift. When I stopped I never had the same issue again. I used to get similar stomach issues when I'd been out drinking as well, again due to increased ciggy intake I guess.

Maybe not really a health reason, more a discomfort issue. In any case, the fact I no longer suffered it gave me reason enough to stay off that fags. Pretty glad at 6 pound-odd a packet of 20 these days, WTF...literally money going up in flames!

I'm aware it does me no good but for some reason that's not the reason I want to quit. It's a stinky habit and there literally is no need for it. The fact that I smoke annoys me and not being able to quit only makes it worse. Fuck knows how I'm going to do it, I have the will power of Michelle McManus in a cake shop.

I'm aware it does me no good but for some reason that's not the reason I want to quit. It's a stinky habit and there literally is no need for it. The fact that I smoke annoys me and not being able to quit only makes it worse. Fuck knows how I'm going to do it, I have the will power of Michelle McManus in a cake shop.

But she's really fat. She probably has poor will-power because she eats ALL THE CAKE in the cake shope. I don't think this was the intended meaning of your metaphor.

Metaphor. If he'd said "If I'm going to do it, I will have to have will power like Michelle McManus..."

You're wrong. Nice one.

"I have the will power of..." is synonymous with "I have the same will power as..." or "my will power is like that of....".

A simile is a type of metaphor in which the comparison is made with the use of the word like or its equivalent.

Stick to cereal, language isn't your strong suit.

xx

• Upvote 2