aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

See I just can't use a pick that light on anything other than my acoustic. Obvz I use high gague on bass but even playing guitar the lightest I'll go is .73 (yellow tortex) otherwise I feel like I'm just rubbing the strings with a bit of felt. Lego brick or 2p coin ftw.

xx

Don't forget 'corner of bank card' either. :up:

Mind you, you stringjockeys haven't really lived until you've smashed a knuckle off the stainless steel rim of a snare drum or the razor sharp edge of a hihat, causing a jet of crimson staining across your coated batterhead. Mmm.

Or like i did the other night, hit yourself square on the knee cap full force thinking your away to power through a floor tom and your kick drum playing leg goes weak.

Or almost blind yourself by rocking out really hard with your head down and the stick bounces off the snare straight into your eye.

I dont think i have any drums left that dont have my blood on them.

Fucking guitarists have it easy, bunch of pussies.

I get the benefit if you're strumming that fast I suppose. Means you can just crank the amp to get the volume out and less change of strings breaking. I have managed to chew through a few bass strings in my time. Did my fucking A string at practice the other week. No idea how I managed to leave the E in tact and break the A string.

PUNXSTORYBRA'

xx

• Upvote 1

Or like i did the other night, hit yourself square on the knee cap full force thinking your away to power through a floor tom and your kick drum playing leg goes weak.

Or almost blind yourself by rocking out really hard with your head down and the stick bounces off the snare straight into your eye.

I dont think i have any drums left that dont have my blood on them.

Fucking guitarists have it easy, bunch of pussies.

You sound far too poorly co-ordinated to be a drummer.

xx

Impassioned discussions about the relative merits of different thicknesses of plectrums (plectra?) - I'm so glad I play bass.

And no, I don't use a pick. Except once when I was trying to sound like JJ Burnel (Stranglers awesome cover of Walk On By) and I improvised and used a coin. Sounded clangy enough :)

Still a poove.

Nah. Certain bass sounds needs a pick. Especially in punk rock, where the bass supplies more of a stabbing sound rather than a complete low end. Some of the bass stuff Mike plays in NOFX is great, but couldn't be done with fingers. Or maybe it could, but it wouldn't sound the same, and nowhere near as percussive.

• Upvote 1