aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Right, an actual question now:

Would sports tape help prevent me slicing my finger open while playing the guitar?

My middle finger (haw haw) rarely makes it through a set on the acoustic guitar without being cut to pieces on the strings which is kind of annoying as it means I need to clean blood off them and the wood. So I was thinking sports tape or something might be a good way to cover my fingers and prevent that.

Any ideas?

Get some gorilla tips:

http://m3productsllc.com/

You have to order them from the US but they're the best solution I've found for this. I could hardly play my guitar at all in the first 6 months of this year due to a skin condition but I got some of these things (along with a few other options to try) and have been strumming away again with no problems since.

Get some gorilla tips:

http://m3productsllc.com/

You have to order them from the US but they're the best solution I've found for this. I could hardly play my guitar at all in the first 6 months of this year due to a skin condition but I got some of these things (along with a few other options to try) and have been strumming away again with no problems since.

I should have been clearer - this is for my strumming hand. Unless they do those too? That would be awesome though.

If he's strumming away for about 30 mins or whatever with no pick it seems pretty plausible...

I guess. But if all you're doing is strumming, then use a pick. Otherwise learn hybrid picking, grow your fingernails or use finger picks. No real need for the raw skin on your strumming hand to take that kind of punishment.

How in the hell are you cutting the fingers on your strumming hand!?
Yeah how are you cutting yourself with your strumming hand? I take it you play some kinda figure picking style?
If he's strumming away for about 30 mins or whatever with no pick it seems pretty plausible...

I *do* use a pick. I clearly don't use it properly... I hold it a bit funny - two fingers and one thumb so I don't let go of it (I'm pretty hard with the guitar on-stage). It's the base of the nail that gets shit from the steel strings.

EDIT: Oh, I also shave the skin from the heel of my hand too when I'm strumming. I SUCK AT THE GUITAR.

I cut the skin round my fingernails on my strumming hand a bit too, as I hold the pick by the very edge, so I'm always ready to squeal a massive pinch harmonic. I always have to be ready.

I don't ask questions about how to make it stop though, because I'm really tough, and blood on my guitar makes me look badass.

• Upvote 3

Superglue is great as a temporary second skin, I've used it for cuts as well as drumming blisters. Get the one with a little brush and just paint it on the required bit of your finger. Sets quickly to a rock hard covering then gradually cracks and peels off over the next few hours. I first heard about it from Flea on a RHCP video, he uses it on the massive holes he gets on his bass thumb.

I also use very thin picks, meaning I don't have to work on my strumming technique. I just strum, and the pick bends. Winner. It pays to be shit.

My picks are pretty thick. I lose.

Also, strumming a guitar to fuck is fine, unless it's an acoustic guitar. Don't do that. That's stupid.

It's also MY THING you THIEVING BASTARDS.

I cut the skin round my fingernails on my strumming hand a bit too, as I hold the pick by the very edge, so I'm always ready to squeal a massive pinch harmonic. I always have to be ready.

I don't ask questions about how to make it stop though, because I'm really tough, and blood on my guitar makes me look badass.

You forgot to mention tearing up yr hands with all those pick/hand scrapes.

I *do* use a pick. I clearly don't use it properly... I hold it a bit funny - two fingers and one thumb so I don't let go of it (I'm pretty hard with the guitar on-stage). It's the base of the nail that gets shit from the steel strings.

EDIT: Oh, I also shave the skin from the heel of my hand too when I'm strumming. I SUCK AT THE GUITAR.

Bleed for your art or buy a piano.

• Upvote 3

That's how it has to be. Pinch harmonics ftw. I was the same an I played bass. They're even better because they're unexpected.

• Upvote 2