aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

Chris - what's the one that's left? Any good? Is Stoney worth a nicht oot?

I forget what it's called. Only been in it once. It's a typical small nightclub playing chart pish. Mix of teenagers and people old enough to know better, lots of fights and suspicion towards strangers.

Stoney can be great for a night out though. Plenty of pubs (not as many as there used to be sadly). Almost worth it for The Marine alone.

I'm sure there used to be one in Stoney called Divas. It was in the back of one of the hotel pubs I think. Went in there one new years eve after the fire balls. Walked in with a bag full of booze, no questions asked. Had a drink, saw a couple of fights then left.

I think Diva's was what they renamed the club in The Royal Hotel after it was The Vennel for so many years. Fuck knows what the one above the Stoney Bar is called these days. Used to be Romany's.

Don't really understand why it's surprising that Stoney has a nightclub.

The infamous "New Coke" that was released in 1985 was just Diet Coke, but with all the sweeteners taken out and regular sugar added in its place

Diet Coke is New Coke. Or vice-versa. When it was introduced in 1982, Diet Coke was an answer to Diet Pepsi, which had been around since 1964 and outsold Coke's diet cola Tab. Diet Coke quickly became the 3rd best-selling soda on the market, behind only original Coke and Pepsi. Using the "Coke" name helped it's popularity, although Diet Coke is not a sugar-free version of the original Coke formula. As it turns out, New Coke was actually a version of the Diet Coke formula sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. Even today, Diet Coke shares more with New Coke than it does the original formula, and Coke Zero is the closest Coke has ever come to a sugar-free version of its classic taste.

• Upvote 2

don't understand why people think you can't send personal emails at work.  it's in EU human rights legislation, a small amount of personal correspondence is expected.  Like "what we having for dinner?  do you want me to pick anything up?" not constant chat all day obv.

also: stoney is ace for a night out, just don't go to the nightclub.  lots of fine pubs though.

Edited by framheim
  • Upvote 1

don't understand why people think you can't send personal emails at work.  it's in EU human rights legislation, a small amount of personal correspondence is expected.  Like "what we having for dinner?  do you want me to pick anything up?" not constant chat all day obv.

also: stoney is ace for a night out, just don't go to the nightclub.  lots of fine pubs though.

I agree in principle, however, how did people manage before the internet? Husbands and wives were hardly on the phone to their spouses every hour asking incidental questions, why should iit be any different now?

It would be fucking amazing if Sandwich Gate couple started up their own sandwich van business.

The remaining nightclub in Stonehaven is beside Troupers pub and is called Zee's after the Indian lad who runs it these days. Haven't been for quite a while but I was definitely in the more senior clientele category last time I was dragged in, lots of youngsters. It's largely shit as per most small town nightclubs that I have visited in years past. Let's face it, you aren't heading to them for the music, it's extended drinking that attracts, I just tend to zone out the music and rarely note what is playing unless some random great song pops up.

A few pubs in Stoney are open till 1, that is usually sufficient for me these days.

Edited by Godzilla Blues

don't understand why people think you can't send personal emails at work. it's in EU human rights legislation, a small amount of personal correspondence is expected. Like "what we having for dinner? do you want me to pick anything up?" not constant chat all day obv.

Okay, sorry but this has got to be nonsense. Where in EU human rights legislation does it say people have right to be able to send personal e-mails in the workplace?

For the record, I've got nothing against this either. Hell, I'm posting this from work afterall. But I can't believe for a second that this is now a human right. Presumably it's also a human right to have a computer and a connection to the Internet as well?!

If we are still talking about the Sandwich van girl and her fella, I'm sure a few informal emails will be seen as acceptable by most companies, but talking in graphic detail about last nights "session" could easily be seen as an abuse to whatever IT policies are in place. I imagine it definitely would be where I work.

Okay, sorry but this has got to be nonsense. Where in EU human rights legislation does it say people have right to be able to send personal e-mails in the workplace?

For the record, I've got nothing against this either. Hell, I'm posting this from work afterall. But I can't believe for a second that this is now a human right. Presumably it's also a human right to have a computer and a connection to the Internet as well?!

no, it's true!  I looked up once because someone kept banging on about personal stuff shouldn't happen at work.  I can't direct you to a specific para but it was in there.  I think it's looking at a common sense, couple of emails a day kind of thing rather than graphic chat about sex life over a whole morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Not today but on Wednesday I learned that Catholics get ash put on their foreheads at mass on ash wednesday. I can't believe I've gone my whole life unaware of this. Do they not do it in Scotland? I was so confused walking down the street seeing all these people with crosses on their foreheads. I genuinely thought someone was playing a prank somewhere and getting people to touch their foreheads a la boot polish on the telescope.

• Upvote 2

Not today but on Wednesday I learned that Catholics get ash put on their foreheads at mass on ash wednesday. I can't believe I've gone my whole life unaware of this. Do they not do it in Scotland? I was so confused walking down the street seeing all these people with crosses on their foreheads. I genuinely thought someone was playing a prank somewhere and getting people to touch their foreheads a la boot polish on the telescope.

That'll explains the guy I saw on Wednesday afternoon