aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

I'd live to have seen the Matrix with Will Smith in. Instead of Keanu's blank expression when something bad happens, Smith would have dropped in an "AAAAAAW HELL NO!" and bust some heads.

And when he'd sorted the bad situation, he'd clean it up with "naaa that's what I'm talkin' 'bout" and then chest bumps with Laurence FIshburne.

It sound like an infinitely better film already.

But can you imagine how terrible Wild Wild West would have been if Keanu got that role instead? Im happy the Matrix was ok in order for us to have big Will in WWW.

Really, could it be any worse? The only worthwhile thing (apart from the theme tune) in the entire movie is Salma Hayek's chebbingtons.

In TV or film, if music is used as part of the narrative e.g. the character is in a club, or playing an instrument then the music can be termed "diegetic".  If it's part of the soundtrack i.e. the character wouldn't hear it then it's "non-diegetic".

New words! 

Didn't realise there was a specific term for that before.

In TV or film, if music is used as part of the narrative e.g. the character is in a club, or playing an instrument then the music can be termed "diegetic".  If it's part of the soundtrack i.e. the character wouldn't hear it then it's "non-diegetic".

New words! 

Didn't realise there was a specific term for that before.

You can also say 'in diagesis'. It's not limited to just music - e.g. a voiceover is non-diagetic.

There are some great film terms. Versimilitude is probably my favourite.

If you're interested, I'd highly recommend reading up on the theory of 'suture' - it's fascinating and really makes you see film differently. In a nutshell (and it's much much more complicated than this) its the tricks/techniques that filmmakers use to suspend your belief and just go with the film world you're being presented. Meaning, we watch a film and know it's not 'real' but what the filmmaker wants to do is for those 2 hours at all points make you forget that fact and regress into a child-like state where everything you're seeing is new. There's a famous example used by the Coen brothers where they flash up 'based on a true story' before the film starts - The difference in mindset after seeing that is really interesting. You take in what you're seeing differently.

You can also say 'in diagesis'. It's not limited to just music - e.g. a voiceover is non-diagetic.

There are some great film terms. Versimilitude is probably my favourite.

If you're interested, I'd highly recommend reading up on the theory of 'suture' - it's fascinating and really makes you see film differently. In a nutshell (and it's much much more complicated than this) its the tricks/techniques that filmmakers use to suspend your belief and just go with the film world you're being presented. Meaning, we watch a film and know it's not 'real' but what the filmmaker wants to do is for those 2 hours at all points make you forget that fact and regress into a child-like state where everything you're seeing is new. There's a famous example used by the Coen brothers where they flash up 'based on a true story' before the film starts - The difference in mindset after seeing that is really interesting. You take in what you're seeing differently.

Ah strangely I saw the Coen's true story, er, story today in a news piece about Fargo becoming a TV series. A clever bit of misdirection to play with the viewer's pre-conceptions.

I like finding out little technical bits and pieces from the film industry like this.

One for women, waxing yer growler can lead to health problems, only get it done if you must. 

Which health problems?  

And the giant mechanical spiders that shoot fire bombs out of their face. But that goes without saying.

I was scrolling down to see the newest posts in this thread and skim read these 3. 

Today I almost learned that if you wax your fanny you'll spawn mechanical spiders, which goes without saying.