aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

• 4 weeks later...

Most letters you send are electonically read by robots to extract the address. If your handwriting is really bad the robot can't read it and an image of the address gets sent to a worker who deciphers it and sends it on its way. Not particularly interesting but something I'd never considered before.

Most letters you send are electonically read by robots to extract the address. If your handwriting is really bad the robot can't read it and an image of the address gets sent to a worker who deciphers it and sends it on its way. Not particularly interesting but something I'd never considered before.

I knew about this, after some doc (possibly Dispatches) about Royal Mail and their general shittiness many years ago. They were saying how important it is that the post code is as clear as possible, and that most mail that is "lost in the post" was because the post code wasn't clear enough to be deciphered by a computer, and instead of sending the image of the address for a human to make sense of, they just binned it.

Royal Fail Parcel Farse LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Belarus is the only country in Europe which still uses the death penalty. 2009 is the only year in which there are no recorded deaths from capital punishment in Europe, but Belarus have been back at it since then. So far, none in 2013.

The last person to be executed in Scotland was a guy from Aberdeen, hanged in Craiginches in 1963 for shooting his lover's husband in the face at 14 Jackson Terrace. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_John_Burnett

Weirdly, I read that Wiki article yesterday, thinking that 'Guyan' is a very Aberdonian surname.

What do people actually think of the death penalty? Does any sane person actually want it reinstated as a form of sentencing under Scots law?

It's barbaric and archaic IMO. Blows my mind that any developed first world country would still use it, never mind the fucking USA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...