aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

• 2 weeks later...

Not today but on Wednesday I learned that Catholics get ash put on their foreheads at mass on ash wednesday. I can't believe I've gone my whole life unaware of this. Do they not do it in Scotland? I was so confused walking down the street seeing all these people with crosses on their foreheads. I genuinely thought someone was playing a prank somewhere and getting people to touch their foreheads a la boot polish on the telescope.

Yup. They do that here. I had no idea either until last year I saw a whole bunch of people walking around with ash on their forehead. I thought the Irish were just dirty.

Today I learned that the tuna sub is the most filling of all the subs. I've never had to give up on a footlong before.

Well duh. That might work for Soundgarden, but I don't imagine there's that much money in UKJ reforming?  I'd guess Dave Fortman makes a lot more producing than he ever did playing.

You just said that you were very tempted to go to Download to see them, so I'd imagine you would definitely go if they played Aberdeen, and possibly Glasgow/Edinburgh. Like Stroopy said, people are nostalgia daft, people pay top dollah to revisit their youth.

Didn't Wheatus sell a fuckload of tickets when they played tunnels not long ago?

xx

I remember going to see them in Kef in 2002ish.

I imagine going to see UKJ would be a waste of money outside a festival as you'd only be interested in the older stuff rather than the new stuff. I remember seeing Sinead O'Connor at TitP the place was rammed, once she sang nothing compares to you the tent emptied.

You just said that you were very tempted to go to Download to see them, so I'd imagine you would definitely go if they played Aberdeen, and possibly Glasgow/Edinburgh. Like Stroopy said, people are nostalgia daft, people pay top dollah to revisit their youth.

Yeah people will go see them, but it's not like they're Alice In Chains, Soundgarden or RATM.  They're playing well down the bill at festivals and the EP released last year didn't exactly set the world on fire.  The money they're going to get for that isn't going to be a lot is it?  They probably still get more money from radio plays of Everything About You.

Maybe I'm wrong and they're charging a fortune for the gigs and people are paying it.

Yeah people will go see them, but it's not like they're Alice In Chains, Soundgarden or RATM.  They're playing well down the bill at festivals and the EP released last year didn't exactly set the world on fire.  The money they're going to get for that isn't going to be a lot is it?  They probably still get more money from radio plays of Everything About You.

Maybe I'm wrong and they're charging a fortune for the gigs and people are paying it.

Think about it though - the position of a band like UKJ is where every young musician wants to be. They have a dedicated cult following who will always come to their shows, they have a steady stream of income (from royalties), they can write and record at their leisure and can be fairly confident their record will get put out (or they could self-release pretty effectively). They can play all the major festivals. They are in a very enviable position in the "twilight years" of the bands life. If I could be in a band who reach that level at their peak, I'd be happy as a bastard!

xx

Didn't Wheatus sell a fuckload of tickets when they played tunnels not long ago?

xx

I went to see them in Leeds, for LOLs, just before I moved here, so it mustve been 2007. The place was about half full in a venue about the size of the big Tunnels. They played Teenage Dirtbag 3 times. Nobody knew what to do when they played songs that weren't Teenage Dirtbag or that cover they did.

They were really, really, really bad. My friends band supported them. It was all very awkward. Nobody was into the two support bands. It was just pure anticipation of "how awful is this going to be??"

Former Aberdeen skipper, Scott Severin, is a private landlord in Aberdeen. I spoke to him on the phone yesterday at work. He sounded like a bit of a dick.

Alex Ferguson also owns and rents out a house up in Danestone. I've never spoken to him though.

Edited by Joda Serk