aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

You have an Integra or something though, don't you James? So that's understandable.

I get an average of around 39MPG with good driving, and I do 60 miles per day, 5 days a week. When I first got it, I was doing 32/33. In my opinion 40MPG is still pretty poor when you consider some cars are up there at 75MPG. Fair enough that's diesel, but I'm massively disappointed with mine.

Yeah I thought that. 41 is pretty damn good. I get 36mpg after deliberately trying to save fuel by pottering around in a higher gear and accelerating slowly.

What are you driving Chris?

Just beware that if you are pottering around in 5th at 30mph you are labouring the engine and therefore saving no fuel at all.

I get an average of around 39MPG with good driving, and I do 60 miles per day, 5 days a week. When I first got it, I was doing 32/33. In my opinion 40MPG is still pretty poor when you consider some cars are up there at 75MPG. Fair enough that's diesel, but I'm massively disappointed with mine.

If you're doing 60 miles a day, presumably most of that is open road, in 5th? Town driving makes a big difference. I'm lucky to get 30 average, I'd be very happy with 40.

You have an Integra or something though, don't you James? So that's understandable.

Yeah, Supra Twin Turbo. So the fuel failure is understandable :laughing:

40mpg or thereabouts is pretty good in my opinion (on a petrol car). My Golf gave me about that when motorway driving.

Those diesels and the blue motion VWs are terrifying in terms of fuel consumption. So disheartening haha!

Yessss! Someone else with a shit MPG!

Well the reason that photo was taken was because I've never seen that good on my car before ... that was after cruising for an hour at about 50 in 6th gear. 25 to low 30's is the usual order of the day. It is a GTI so mpg isn't really the reason it was bought.

What are you driving Chris?

Just beware that if you are pottering around in 5th at 30mph you are labouring the engine and therefore saving no fuel at all.

A 1.8 Focus Zetec, petrol. I would imagine most diesel's don't get close to 75mpg, that new Toyota hybrid does, but that'll be on it's economy setting.

I do a mix of country driving and city, commuting from Banchory into Aberdeen every day. When I said a higher gear I just meant using 4th instead of 3rd at 30mph and generally trying to get into good habits. I've gone from filling up every week or so when I first got it to filling up every fortnight now and got the range up to 430 miles on the trip computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild

Today I learned what the "49ers" in "San Francisco 49ers" refers to.

It's a reference to the Californian gold rush of 1848/1849. Those local to the gold went in pursuit of it, and were termed "49ers" after the year of 1849.

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly today, but recently, I learned that in the 1860s there were plans for Aberdeen to have an 'inner' circular railway called the 'Circumbendibus'.......honest! It was supposed to go from Kittybrewster via Rosemount to Hamilton Plave, Forest Ave etc before joining the Deeside line at Holburn St. The tracks were planned to be 'sunk' in channels, so as not to disturb the views around the better-off areas.