aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

Not exactly today, but recently, I learned that in the 1860s there were plans for Aberdeen to have an 'inner' circular railway called the 'Circumbendibus'.......honest! It was supposed to go from Kittybrewster via Rosemount to Hamilton Plave, Forest Ave etc before joining the Deeside line at Holburn St. The tracks were planned to be 'sunk' in channels, so as not to disturb the views around the better-off areas.

This kind of stuff really interests me, but I've never taken the time to find much out about Aberdeen and it's history.

Can you recommend any books, Alan?

There are few good ones by Diane Morgan ('Lost Aberdeen', 'the story of Union Street' etc) that you'd probably enjoy, and they're easy to get hold of.

Also 'A thousand years of Aberdeen' by Alexander Keith, and ''City by the grey North Sea' by Fenton Wyness are excellent.

For a while the Aberdeen journals 'This is North Scotland' forum had some great local history with old photos, but too many copyright problems led to it being closed. This one is pretty good though.....

Fit like, Aiberdeen! :: Index

He wrote quite a few local-history books, which I've gradually been collecting. When I was at school he was being shown round (he was an ex-pupil), and came into our Art-class for a shuftie. Wish I'd said more to him at the time. We were probably more concerned that our 'background music' was switched off (I suspect it was the first Hawkwind album, or maybe 'Deep Purple in Rock'.)

There are few good ones by Diane Morgan ('Lost Aberdeen', 'the story of Union Street' etc) that you'd probably enjoy, and they're easy to get hold of.

Also 'A thousand years of Aberdeen' by Alexander Keith, and ''City by the grey North Sea' by Fenton Wyness are excellent.

For a while the Aberdeen journals 'This is North Scotland' forum had some great local history with old photos, but too many copyright problems led to it being closed. This one is pretty good though.....

Fit like, Aiberdeen! :: Index

Brilliant, thanks!

Not exactly today, but recently, I learned that in the 1860s there were plans for Aberdeen to have an 'inner' circular railway called the 'Circumbendibus'.......honest! It was supposed to go from Kittybrewster via Rosemount to Hamilton Plave, Forest Ave etc before joining the Deeside line at Holburn St. The tracks were planned to be 'sunk' in channels, so as not to disturb the views around the better-off areas.

I think there used to be some major railway lines that led down to the harbour as well? I remember seeing an old photo and there were about 7 or 8 tracks converging at a station on the seafront. Obviously not there now but sort of thing you see in a picture and get a surprise something like that was there in the first place.

I think there used to be some major railway lines that led down to the harbour as well? I remember seeing an old photo and there were about 7 or 8 tracks converging at a station on the seafront. Obviously not there now but sort of thing you see in a picture and get a surprise something like that was there in the first place.

Aberdeen Waterloo by any chance? It still runs from the harbour to Kittybrewster following the old canal, but is just used for freight

You often see old copies of Leopard Magazine in the Oxfam shop. If you can get past the interviews with local industrialists, articles about golf and the 'society weddings' crap it's a decent read, as is the website...

Leopard magazine

:up:

The editor Lindy Cheyne was quite a well known folk singer in the sixties I believe too, she founded the Aberdeen Folk-Song Club. Did you ever meet her in your 'local-music-legend' circles Mr Cynic?

I think I might have been introduced................her ex husband can still be seen playing the banjo in folk jams round town. I was a strange schoolboy, and used to go to the folk Club in the Adelphi to see the likes of Lizzie Higgins, Bob Cooney & Stanley Robertson...then going home & listening to Terry Riley, Amon Duul etc

Think there's a family connection to Janice & Jenny Clark (ex Battlefield Band) too (nieces?).

I think I might have been introduced................her ex husband can still be seen playing the banjo in folk jams round town. I was a strange schoolboy, and used to go to the folk Club in the Adelphi to see the likes of Lizzie Higgins, Bob Cooney & Stanley Robertson...then going home & listening to Terry Riley, Amon Duul etc

Think there's a family connection to Janice & Jenny Clark (ex Battlefield Band) too (nieces?).

Aye, Janice (Iolair) and Jenny (Battlefield Band) are her nieces. You may also know Ian Hamilton, played guitar back then too.

Her son Gav was the guitarist in my first 'proper' band many years ago. FROSTYFACT.

Me too!

I just assumed he'd left out 'American' and just called it football or something and then gone back and edited it once it was pointed out.

I had to copy and paste Trigger's original post and Idol_wild's correction into a Word document to be compared together, then I got it. Then I thought about all the important things I have to do at work before the end of today and how these things often take a back seat to utterly meaningless exercises related to internet chat. I'm glad my Managing Director didn't spring up on me by surprise.

"How are you getting on with that proposal?"

"Erm, yes, not bad. I'm just, erm, I don't know what this is. There's something wrong with my keyboard."

The Oklahoma University American football team play at the Gaylord Stadium.

The Oklahomo University American football team play at the Gaylord Stadium.