aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

I reckon it's because of that logic, if they weren't protected we would have loads of dead seagull lying around as well as most young un's putting baking soda on beak and feeding it to them.

That's actually a really surprising comment from you because its not totally mind-numbingly stupid.

Oh aye, they love looking at birds but won't do much else.

The other day one of my friends found an injured bird and they wouldn't come and see to it.

you're best bet is to phone the sspca rather than rspb for things like that, i'm not sure if the rspb have vets in many places or facilities for animal recovery whereas sspca do.

you're best bet is to phone the sspca rather than rspb for things like that, i'm not sure if the rspb have vets in many places or facilities for animal recovery whereas sspca do.

sspca won't do anything about a healthy young seagull either though. Being on the ground is what they're supposed to do when they leave the nest. They stay on the ground for a couple of weeks before flying off. If that just happens to be in your garden and you get swooped by protective parents then that's just your bad luck. Moving it away from the area would be the opposite of protecting it really.

But it sounds like you're being attacked not the baby seagull.

They grow really quickly and it'll be on a roof before you know it!

You're that lady that answers the phone for the RSPB aren't you?

I can't remember if I mentioned it but one of them actually drew blood when it swooped my girlfriend. Beaked her right on the crown! Talking of instinct, it is mine to protect my loved ones so I guess it could be this family of gulls bad luck....

(joke disclaimer)

The Libyan flag is the only self coloured national flag.

Herring Gulls are protected because their numbers are declining in general. Unfortunately not in Aberdeen and other urban areas. They're on the RSPB red list which is defined by the following criteria:

Globally threatened

Historical population decline in UK during 18001995

Severe (at least 50%) decline in UK breeding population over last 25 years, or longer-term period (the entire period used for assessments since the first BoCC review, starting in 1969).

Severe (at least 50%) contraction of UK breeding range over last 25 years, or the longer-term period

Guest idol_wild

The bastards should be completely culled.

Although a seagull did provide a superb comedy moment walking down Belmont Street one time; a gull swooped down on to my pal's head, leaned over, stole the flapjack my friend was in the process of putting in his mouth, then flew off. Leaving my friend a bit bewildered. And peckish.

The RSPB won't do anything about a seemingly healthy seagull chick in your garden even if you are attacked by protective adult gulls any time you walk near it. However, they did tell me that they would come and rescue it if it had a broken wing or something. I'm really not sure that they're doing a particularly good job at protecting birds by dishing out that information....

Take a nail gun to it and tell them to come clean up the dead bird mess. Answer the door holding the nail Gun. Deny shooting the bird with a nail gun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Knob
Herring Gulls are protected because their numbers are declining in general. Unfortunately not in Aberdeen and other urban areas. They're on the RSPB red list which is defined by the following criteria:

Globally threatened

Severe (at least 50%) decline in UK breeding population over last 25 years, or longer-term period (the entire period used for assessments since the first BoCC review, starting in 1969).

Severe (at least 50%) contraction of UK breeding range over last 25 years, or the longer-term period

Come on man, it's getting a bit boring now.

sspca won't do anything about a healthy young seagull either though. Being on the ground is what they're supposed to do when they leave the nest. They stay on the ground for a couple of weeks before flying off. If that just happens to be in your garden and you get swooped by protective parents then that's just your bad luck. Moving it away from the area would be the opposite of protecting it really.

scootray said it was injured though, not healthy.

Globally threatened

The European Herring Gull is currently sitting at "Least Concern" on the IUCN Categories list.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild

Today I learned that the massive debt I had built up on my credit card has been wiped out. The statement merely reads:

"Payment Received - Thank You" with the amount paid into my account. I never paid a single penny in to this account.

I'm seriously confused. ?(

Not that I ought to complain. But still.

You're that lady that answers the phone for the RSPB aren't you?

I can't remember if I mentioned it but one of them actually drew blood when it swooped my girlfriend. Beaked her right on the crown! Talking of instinct, it is mine to protect my loved ones so I guess it could be this family of gulls bad luck....

(joke disclaimer)

The Libyan flag is the only self coloured national flag.

On a school trip once we were climbing some hill towards an old castle that was a favourite nesting place of seagulls. It was in spring when they are really protective. One of the fuckers flew right into the side of my mate's head, full pelt, beak first. He cried. I laughed so hard I almost shat myself.

Guest idol_wild
Any idea on how i can make this happen?

Well, I'm sort of assuming that the bank have decided to just call it a day and wipe the debt off, thus fucking up my credit rating. Which may not necessarily be a good thing.

Guest idol_wild
How long has this debt been racking up if you don't mind me asking? I'm not just being nosey i'm somewhat in this problem myself?(

I opened the account approximately two years ago, used it to book the travel in advance of my tour in January 2009, and never put the money back in after my tour accountings due to sheer laziness. So I have literally made zero payments into the account in about a two year period, and before the 4th August 2010, it was 60% over the overdraft limit.

Now it isn't.

I'm still confused.

My bet is guitars.

Pretty fucking good reason in my book.

God, I'm desperately trying to resist just sticking a Tele on my credit card rather than saving up for it. I'm about halfway there though. A quiet end to the year should see it in my hands soon enough and it's not like I need it for a band just now anyway.

Guest Gladstone
Today I learned that apparently if you get in a lift, hold down the close door button, and once the doors close hold down the button for the floor you want to go to and hold them both down until the lift starts moving, it will go straight to the floor without stopping at any others.

How can you ever test that theory? If there is nobody at any of the floors in between it goes straight to your floor anyway. Until it doesn't work, you'll just think it works, but there will always be a nagging doubt at the back of your mind...