aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

The origin of the term doolally:

A link between captivity and mental illness in the armed forces had been established in the late Victorian period and was reflected in the term doolally, a popular term for madness. In 1861, the British Army had set up a base and sanatorium at Deolali, Maharashtra, about 100 miles north-east of Mumbai. It served as a transit camp for soldiers who had finished their tours of duty (time-expired) and were waiting for a passage to Britain.

Troopships left Mumbai between November and March, so a soldier who completed his tour outside those dates often had a long wait for transport. Confined to a restricted life in camp during the hot summer months, some soldiers broke down and behaved bizarrely; they were described as having the doolally tap.

I feel better for having learned that.

Not really today, but over the past wee while I've noticed lots of people walking (too poor for cars obviously) about carrying stuff in Farmfoods bags. I've never been in the place but I have deduced from this phenomenon that Farmoods issue "good" carrier bags, in a Next stylee.

Not really today, but over the past wee while I've noticed lots of people walking (too poor for cars obviously) about carrying stuff in Farmfoods bags. I've never been in the place but I have deduced from this phenomenon that Farmoods issue "good" carrier bags, in a Next stylee.

After recently visiting the one in Stonehaven to stock up on Fruit Shoots for the bairn (for some reason they have an incredibly good deal on these) I can vouch for the sturdy nature of their carrier bags, proper thick plastic like the stuff Jeremy Clarkson would burn just to annoy an environmentalist. They also dish them out freely as well, unlike these other brand name supermarkets who make you feel as if a rare orphaned mammal is dying each time they give you one of their flimsy offerings that split if you put any more than a loaf of bread in them.

After recently visiting the one in Stonehaven to stock up on Fruit Shoots for the bairn (for some reason they have an incredibly good deal on these) I can vouch for the sturdy nature of their carrier bags, proper thick plastic like the stuff Jeremy Clarkson would burn just to annoy an environmentalist. They also dish them out freely as well, unlike these other brand name supermarkets who make you feel as if a rare orphaned mammal is dying each time they give you one of their flimsy offerings that split if you put any more than a loaf of bread in them.

Agree about the plastic bag facists, what a bunch of bastards. What's the price on Fruit Shoots? Asda does 8 for 2 I think (the water ones).

Agree about the plastic bag facists, what a bunch of bastards. What's the price on Fruit Shoots? Asda does 8 for 2 I think (the water ones).

Can't remember how many you get but it's a big tray of them for a fiver. Probably about 20?They are the smaller bottles but it's a good price in any case I know that. We can't give the bairn the water ones, he goes nuts with the additives rush. Normal ones are OK.

Can't remember how many you get but it's a big tray of them for a fiver. Probably about 20?They are the smaller bottles but it's a good price in any case I know that. We can't give the bairn the water ones, he goes nuts with the additives rush. Normal ones are OK.

The water ones have additives and the other ones don't? Good to know.

Guest idol_wild

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

I once saw a documentary about Private Eyes (the "gentleman's" bar, just off Market Street), and some guy paid very good money to have one of the girls initiate sex by donning heels and stamping on his ballsack.

I'm not sure which is worse.

Guest Gladstone
The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

I once saw a documentary about Private Eyes (the "gentleman's" bar, just off Market Street), and some guy paid very good money to have one of the girls initiate sex by donning heels and stamping on his ballsack.

I'm not sure which is worse.

That was Fantasy Bar, not Private Eyes. I remember that scene well. He kept asking her to stamp harder. It looked fucking painful.

Guest idol_wild
That was Fantasy Bar, not Private Eyes. I remember that scene well. He kept asking her to stamp harder. It looked fucking painful.

Fantasy Bar! That's the one.

Despite having worked in one, my knowledge of titty bars isn't especially good.

Guest idol_wild
1 out of 3 isn't bad i guess. The other two were complete horseshit though.

That butterfly one was true?

Fail.

Did you successfully debunk the Charlie Chaplin one too? I think that might just be a legend.

That butterfly one was true?

Fail.

Did you successfully debunk the Charlie Chaplin one too? I think that might just be a legend.

Technically, yes, butterflies have "taste" receptors on their tarsi.

I don't know much about Charlie Chaplin so i wouldn't know about that one. His granddaughter, Oona Chaplin, is hot though.