aberdeen-music

Scotland's World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Shaki

our central defenders are very slow and one of em is a bombscare at the moment, all of this means we will play deep. unless we learn how to hold onto a football under pressure, this will mean Miller is isolated.

if we had the players I would have suggested 3 at the back with wing backs. Davie Weir as sweeper. hutton and whittaker running the ball up the flanks with fletcher and Miller getting stuck in up front. like ONeill used to use at Celtic.

but the fact is that he's been very effective in that one up front role for Scotland for a number of years now

o_O

Very effective!? He never scores!

Cardiff City midfielder Gavin Rae and West Brom's Graham Dorrans have been called up. The Dutch will be shitting themselves now.

Graham Dorrans scored the best goal I've ever seen. Wonder if Scorge was there to witness his 20-yard bicycle kick for Thistle against the Mighty Heed.

Yes, it's up there with Andy Ross' strike from 27 miles out and Gerry Britton's Jim Baxter impression at Dens as one of the best goals I've ever seen.

Dorrans is quite a tidy player, though I'm not sure he's what we're looking for on Wednesday....

o_O

Very effective!? He never scores!

Yeah, but you're not necessarily expecting the one up front striker to score, you need him to hang onto the ball and bring other players into the game in the final third. Seem to recall they tried Boyd at one point but he was a disaster on his own up front, despite his scoring prowess.

Seem to recall they tried Boyd at one point but he was a disaster on his own up front, despite his scoring prowess.

Boyd doesn't do enough work to play up front on his own, however Miller will run and run, he might not get any (or many) goals, but if he gets into the right places then others should (hopefully) score from that.

The thought of Hartley playing scares me... Where is he playing now?!

Yes, it's up there with Andy Ross' strike from 27 miles out and Gerry Britton's Jim Baxter impression at Dens as one of the best goals I've ever seen.

Dorrans is quite a tidy player, though I'm not sure he's what we're looking for on Wednesday....

Amazed you didn't mention Scott Patterson!

Wednesday is going to be a belter... a chance for someone to become a hero. We're going to do it; I believe :love:

Boyd doesn't do enough work to play up front on his own, however Miller will run and run, he might not get any (or many) goals, but if he gets into the right places then others should (hopefully) score from that.

The thought of Hartley playing scares me... Where is he playing now?!

Bristol City. Would still rather have Hartley in the "holding role" than Alexander. We should probably have Fletcher in there.

I just hate playing with one up front anyway. If we start with Miller on his own on Wednesday then we can play all night and probably never score.

After all so far we've only scored 6 goals in the whole campaign, and those were all in 2 games.

I'm getting really tired of Kenny Miller. Everyone always give it the old 'he runs his heart out for the team.' So? So would I if you gave me a game, but I'd still be gash.

He has scored some great goals for us, but he has absolutely no composure in front of goal and he's probably the last person I'd want running through one-on-one with the 'keeper.

• Upvote 1

I just hate playing with one up front anyway. If we start with Miller on his own on Wednesday then we can play all night and probably never score.

After all so far we've only scored 6 goals in the whole campaign, and those were all in 2 games.

It's the system we used to get good results against the big teams in the last qualifying campaign, keep it tight, work hard and try to nick a goal. Also got the Huns all the way to the UEFA cup final. I agree, that I'd rather see silky "total" football, but as Dirty Harry said in Magnum Force, "A good man always knows his limitations."

I wouldn't be surprised if you nick it against Holland. Their squad is comprised of about 90% wingers (not really, but close). It was nuts just how many wide men started in the friendly against England. A winger in the centre of midfield and a winger upfront! They didn't look up to much in the middle, and scored from two howling defensive errors. Their central players kept drifting wide, and the wide men overlapping. It was a mess. No doubt they'll bring Babel on at some point, who is terrible, but is still tipped as some kind of potential superstar because he's fast. I also imagine you will have a bit more match fitness, with the SPL starting earlier than the leagues most of the Dutch play in. Alot of them also out of favour at their clubs anyway. Get them raped.

Just when I was sliding into Vogts-era-style apathy/disdain we go and give ourselves a chance in a must win fixture against one of the best teams in the world.

Is it possible that we beat the Dutch and still fail to get a playoff place? 10 on that if so. I take it we wouldn't even find out if we definitely get a play off spot until October when the other groups conclude?

I wouldn't be surprised if you nick it against Holland. Their squad is comprised of about 90% wingers (not really, but close). It was nuts just how many wide men started in the friendly against England. A winger in the centre of midfield and a winger upfront! They didn't look up to much in the middle, and scored from two howling defensive errors. Their central players kept drifting wide, and the wide men overlapping. It was a mess. No doubt they'll bring Babel on at some point, who is terrible, but is still tipped as some kind of potential superstar because he's fast. I also imagine you will have a bit more match fitness, with the SPL starting earlier than the leagues most of the Dutch play in. Alot of them also out of favour at their clubs anyway. Get them raped.

Show them all on to their weaker foot and we've won :laughing:

I didn't realise that we had to wait till October. Ace. Make the tension stretch out for an entire fucking month. Way to go, FIFA!

As I was saying to a mate the other day...

It's like FIFA came up with the idea, drew the teams and went "Awww, shit lads, look what we've done" and then just thought ah fuck it, we'll just make it up as we go.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

We can beat Holland. We can beat anybody at Hampden. My first ever Hampden trip was a 1-0 victory over Holland in the playoffs for Euro 2004. Fletcher hit a shot from the right of the box, it took a wicked deflection off a sliding defender and bang! Past the keeper and into the corner of the goal! Cue Hampden going fucking nuts. Great atmosphere that day. Tho the less said about the return leg, the better...

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

We can beat Holland. We can beat anybody at Hampden. My first ever Hampden trip was a 1-0 victory over Holland in the playoffs for Euro 2004. Fletcher hit a shot from the right of the box, it took a wicked deflection off a sliding defender and bang! Past the keeper and into the corner of the goal! Cue Hampden going fucking nuts. Great atmosphere that day. Tho the less said about the return leg, the better...

I watched the return leg in a entertainment area in the campsite i was living at in Australia with two Dutch guys. I got no end of shit for about a month after that game.

I think the away leg is one of those 'where were you when...' moments that will stick with everyone who saw it for the rest of their lives. I was in the RGU student union with my mate Kenny, drinking cider.