aberdeen-music

Scotland's World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Shaki

It's the age-old thing. Scotland only play well when they're underdogs. Arguably they were underdogs on Saturday against Macedonia as they'd just come back from a 4-0 humping. Burley inherited a squad who believed they were better than they were and it's only a series of wake-up call results that have got them back to playing like they did last night...a gutsy performance. Of course, the lack of a finisher (that's where McFadden could have come in useful) and the odd defensive fuck-up will always be a problem for us.

Kris 'Hey, I just scored five past Hamilton' Boyd can fuck off though - if Burley does go and someone else comes in, I hope the first thing they do is tell that arse-faced clown that he won't be playing during their tenure.

To be fair to Kris Boyd (and i hate him just as much as the next man)

20062008 Scotland Played - 15 Scored - 7

Not a bad record.

Bet the dutch shat it when Kris Commons came on.

Boyd's scoring record is unbelievable. Played 115 and scored 81 with Rangers, and how many of those appearances were from the bench..?

We can't afford not to have a player like that in the squad - as much as I think walking out on this campaign was a totally dickish thing to do.

Totally, he is a lazy cunt, frustrates the hell out of his managers but ALWAYS scores.

Typical Hun like but we cant all be perfect.

Regarding Boyd, it's all fine and dandy sticking to our principals and saying "fuck the stroppy twat", but our squad is a lot worse-off without him. There's no doubt about it, in my opinion. Players with egos cannot dictate squad selection and we should pander to their moans too much (and he should apologise if he comes back, definitely), but he's the best goalscorer that this country has and our team often looks toothless without him. We cannot rely on Kenny Miller to provide the goods, and the other options up front are all too inexperienced or equally pish (apart from Faddy).

Regarding Boyd, it's all fine and dandy sticking to our principals and saying "fuck the stroppy twat", but our squad is a lot worse-off without him. There's no doubt about it, in my opinion. Players with egos cannot dictate squad selection and we should pander to their moans too much (and he should apologise if he comes back, definitely), but he's the best goalscorer that this country has and our team often looks toothless without him. We cannot rely on Kenny Miller to provide the goods, and the other options up front are all too inexperienced or equally pish (apart from Faddy).

I wouldn't have started him last night anyway, an impact sub maybe.

Argh. What a performance. As somebody has said already, Fletcher was immense but he's been gash for the rest of the qualifiers. I thought Naismith was brilliant, Maloney played well and the back four looked assured (goal aside).

Kenny Miller is pish though. I don't care how much he runs, he just can't score. He's terrible infront of goal. I haven't seen the replays yet, but that looked like a total sitter off that rebound. On that note, Commons is woeful too.

I thought Burley got the team spot on, and we were just so unlucky. It's hardly his fault that we couldn't stick it in the net. I don't think sacking him will acheive anything; we were actually pretty exciting to watch out there. Still, we should be getting out of this group so he'll probably get fired. C'est la vie.

I really have divided opinions on Boyd coming back. He is a twat for turning his back on his country but if we need goals then he is the man to get it. I dare say if Burley goes then he'll go whimpering to the press about how he just wants to play football and loves his country etc etc blah blah. Still a cunt though.

Feel there is grounds for optimism with the national team though. Fletcher, Brown, Faddy, Gordon and Hutton are all top players and around the 25 years old mark. Whittaker could be good for the left back role and if Naismith can consistently perform like he did last night then he gives us another attacking option. Clearly need to bring through a centre half (Berra perhaps?) and there are guys such as Kevin Thomson who could perhaps fill the position that Alexander and Hartley have been playing. Or maybe I'm clutching at straws for wanting a trip to a major finals!

Bah, etc....

Plenty of good shifts from quite a few players last night, and things looked quite good for an hour even though Holland were barely in second/third gear. Both of Miller's sitters disappearing past the post or straight into the goalkeeper were pure agony to watch.

Probably taxi for Burley, but I can't see anyone coming in and doing much better...

Why did Boyd quit international football and why is he so hated for it? Alot of players give up the national game with very little backlash. Was it just a case of "We're losing, I'm taking my ball home" or was there more to it?

It was a case of "i'm always on the bench, hmmphhhh *plays lament on worlds smallest tin whistle*".

Why did Boyd quit international football and why is he so hated for it? Alot of players give up the national game with very little backlash. Was it just a case of "We're losing, I'm taking my ball home" or was there more to it?

He spat the dummy cos he was always on the bench. He said something like "there's no point going away to the international side just to sit on the sidelines, when I could be spending the time at Rangers training". Or something stupid like that.

I think that the number of teams in the next Euros is increased to 24, if we can't qualify for that we should just give up.

Shouldn't be a problem to do so, but I'm no fan of 24 teams qualifying out of 53 - what's the point? The nice thing about these World Cup qualifiers is the way that virtually every group is wide open and some big teams like France, Croatia and the Czech Republic might not qualify - but 24 teams is just going to make sure that the 'big' teams always qualify, which is shit and pointless.