aberdeen-music

Scotland's World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Shaki

BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Depleted Scots call up Naismith

Something like this?:

Alexander

Hutton, G Caldwell, Berra, Alexander

McCormack, D Fletcher, Brown (if fit), Hartley, Maloney

some poor bastard upfront on their own - S Fletcher, K Miller, Faddy?

Not too confident but then Scotland under Burley has never instilled that in me..........

Anyone going over?

I'm not confident about this at all, under Burley we've been an absolute shadow of the team we had under Smith and McLeish. Something has gone really wrong under Burley, not helped by the fact that, despicable as they are, 5 huns have quit / been dropped from the squad that probably would have been starters.

They need to win games to ensure maximum points, so if Burley persists with this one- up carry on then we're certainly odds on not to qualify. I can't understand why he wouldnt take a punt and go for two up top, take the game to them and see what happens. The worst that'll happen is that we won't qualify, which would be nothing new either way.

4 across the midfield would have another benefit in that Paul Hartley wouldn't get a game; he's absolutely stinking.

Scotland squad: Neil Alexander (Rangers), Jamie Langfield (Aberdeen), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Wolves), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Steven Caldwell (Burnley), Callum Davidson (Preston), Alan Hutton (Tottenham), Jamie McAllister (Bristol City), Steven Whittaker (Rangers), Graham Alexander (Burnley), Scott Brown (Celtic), Kris Commons (Derby County); Darren Fletcher (Man Utd), Paul Hartley (Bristol City), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), James McFadden (Birmingham), David Clarkson (Bristol City), Steven Fletcher (Burnley), Ross McCormack (Cardiff City), Kenny Miller (Rangers), Steven Naismith (Rangers)

Must be the first time 3 Bristol City players have been called up for Scotland duty.

Guest Gladstone
I have never been convinced by Burley and I sure as fuck am not at this moment and time. Under Smith and Mcleish I thought we had a set of players and a regime able to qualify in the very near future. Now, well, we don't.

Totally agree.

We are progressing very well under the previous regimes, and had either of the two previous managers stuck around, I think we'd be in a far better position than we are, and we'd all still be feeling very optimistic.

But Burley has done fuck all to inspire confidence and we seem to have taken a massive backwards step.

Jimmy Calderwood for Scotland...

They need to win games to ensure maximum points, so if Burley persists with this one- up carry on then we're certainly odds on not to qualify..

I don't agree that he's gone with a one up front policy. Look at the last few games, it has been more of a 4-3-3 each time. The wide players are more attacking (McCormack, Commons, McFadden, S.Fletcher, Morrison) than a 4-5-1 would suggest. I much prefer that attitude to Walter Smith's definite 4-5-1 formations.

I'm going over with Zippy, and really looking forward to it! We've been busy behind the scenes organising other matches to take in whilst we are there, so we now have the Lyn Oslo reserve game on the Monday (free entry) and the Skeid (managed by Arild Stavrum) league game on the Tuesday. The Skeid one was actually moved by the Skeid chairman after he was in discussions with several Scottish fans who thought they'd be able to drag along an extra few hundred if the game was moved from the saturday. It looks like there'll be a few thousand turning up now!

I feel really sorry for Burley, as he's had a terrible fixture list to contend with (i.e. Macedonia away in 35C heat, followed by another away match to Iceland 4 days later, Norway before the season starts!) as well as the usual bashing from the Old-Firm bias press. I'm happy to have him as manager and appreciate the style of play he's trying to instill in a squad which has previously been coached to lump balls up the park to the likes of McCulloch.

Really hope this is the team

-----------------Alexander--------------------

Hutton-----G.Caldwell--Berra----Whittaker

------Fletcher-----Brown-----Rae---------

---Commons----Fletcher----McCormack

Happy enough to swap S.Fletcher with Miller though.

Home tickets arrived for the Macedonia and Holland games. Just trying to secure a few extra for mates...

-----------------Alexander--------------------

Hutton-----G.Caldwell--Berra----Whittaker

------Fletcher-----Brown-----Rae---------

---Commons----Fletcher----McCormack

:down: Please No.

Just No.

I hate Paul Hartley, but I'd far rather he played than Gavin Fucking Rae. He was shite at Dundee. He was shite at Rangers. He's shite at Cardiff.

Can I re-iterate that I hate Paul Hartley to the point that my top five most hated players of all time is:

1. Former Morton Player Paul Hartley

2. Former St Johnstone Player Paul Hartley

3. Former Hearts Player Paul Hartley

4. Paul Hartley of Bristol Rovers

5. Ross Tokely.

As much as I don't rate Gavin Rae, I think he's one of the only centre midfielders that we have left! Thomson at Rangers would've been my first pick but he is still injured...

EDIT: Just noticed Rae isn't in the squad (I don't think)

So stick Graham Alexander as the sitting midfielder for me then instead of Rae. He was awesome in that position all season for Burnley

Why on earth would you put Langfield in goal?

Langfield had a good season last year. But I think he's nowhere near Scotland standard. N.Alexander has got the experience both Internationally and in Europe to do well I feel, that's why i've gone for him.

I'm more concerned that he's put Maloney in centre midfield o_O

I don't understand why everyone is crying about Burley. We're still in with more than a decent chance of reaching the play-offs with three games to go, two of them being home games.

The two disappointing results have been a fairly unfortunate loss in a tricky away fixture to Macedonia, and the 0-0 with Norway which we all know could have been very different if a certain somebody had his shooting boots on. I couldn't believe the way some Scotland fans were pissing and moaning after the Holland game, as if we have the right to expect our tiny, very limited side to go and beat one of the best teams in the world in their own back yard. Gah. Bad results happen under every management regime; getting gubbed by a Georgian second-string, anyone?

We still have a lot to do, but lest we forget, Smith and McLeish both ultimately failed to get us into a major championship. Burley should enjoy our full support whilst we're still in with a shout.

• Upvote 1

Why on earth would you put Langfield in goal?

Cos I'm a Dons fan ;)

My dream Scotland squad would be:

---------------Langfield---------------

Foster---Diamond---Considine---Mulgrew

----McDonald---Kerr---Duff---Maguire----

---------Miller----Mackie---------

Just be thankful I'm not the Scotland boss.

Langfield had a good season last year. But I think he's nowhere near Scotland standard. N.Alexander has got the experience both Internationally and in Europe to do well I feel, that's why i've gone for him.

I'm more concerned that he's put Maloney in centre midfield o_O

Do not question my logic. I won the world cup with Scotland on Football Manager 2007 playing Maloney in centre midfield. He'd be in more of a behind the strikers attacking midfielder kind of role rather than in a flat central mid though. I just couldn't draw the formation very well.

Ok more like this. Or something. Fuck knows.

--------------------Langfield-------------------

Hutton----Berra----Caldwell---Whittaker

-------------D Fletcher---Brown------------

McCormack---------------------McFadden

---------------------Maloney-------------------

-------------------S Fletcher--------------------

Cos I'm a Dons fan ;)

My dream Scotland squad would be:

---------------Langfield---------------

Foster---Diamond---Considine---Mulgrew

----McDonald---Kerr---Duff---Maguire----

---------Miller----Mackie---------

Just be thankful I'm not the Scotland boss.

Mine would be similar but I'd put Duff in at CB and Derek Young at RB.

• Upvote 2