aberdeen-music

Scotland's World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Shaki

The Jocks and The Geordies made a surprise return in the 90s. DC Thompson (who publish the Dandy) sued Viz after they started using a character called "Wanker Watson" a riff on the Dandy character Winker Watson. As the case rumbled on, Viz published a strip in their comic called "D.C. Thompson : Miserable Scottish Bastard" which was some old guy in a kilt moaning about stuff. In retaliation the Dandy did a one of special off the Jocks and The Geordies where all the Geordies were Viz characters.

Viz (comic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I fucking love Viz, me.

That is right good! I knew Desperate Dan was Scottish, but I never actually knew the whole comic was. It makes sense now why the Jocks were often more triumphant than the Geordies.

Terrible news about Gordon like, he can really pull off some world class saves when called upon.

Agreed, I think Gordon is a fantastic keeper. Very few keepers as willing to throw themselves as far into a save as he is. That save against Iceland was unbelivable, he threw his whole body onto it and took what looked like a massive blow to the chest.

I think having him missing is a pretty vast set-back. Still optimism and all that....:up:

If Miller had a little bit more composure we might just have won it.

Very good performance, not much to complain about. We lost because a momentary lapse from a tired, ageing player (and to be fair, it was a pretty awkward ball to deal with anyway). Burley set the team out very well tonight, but I don't think I could stomach another campaign of his dross.

Miller played his role very well tonight. Yes, he missed probably our best chance, but otherwise was great. And normally I think he's a dirty Hun fuck. Or is he a Tim? Who knows...

Calderwood and Strachan can get fucked, Levein for me please. Wouldn't have him at the Dons but would do a great job at national level, I reckon.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I was calling for Burley's head before the game on Saturday but the last two performances might be enough to save him. I'm still not convinced but i'm not convinced we can get anyone better. I'd say give him the Euros. Good game tonight, if only Miller had sunk that sitter it would have been different. I thought he was terrible tonight, just no composure at all and he kept getting the ball at his feet and trying to take on 4 players himself instead of holding it up and waiting for support. Infuriating.

It's not on Miller, I thought he played well tonight. Was a great save from the 'keeper in the first half. Great performance but why can we not play like that at the start of campaigns? We have been a bit unlucky but overall we weren't good enough to qualify.

and various other cliches.

Dutch Cunts.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Much as i hate the cunt, i'd really like to bring back Kris Boyd. He is a sulky faced hun bastard, but he's a natural goal scorer, and by Christ do we need one of then. Listening to Charlie Nicholas and Frank De Boer after the game talking about the problems Scotland have at grass roots level. Made an awful lot of sense. We touched on it earlier in the thread, about how they encourage the big strong players and reject the wee skillful ones, who could end up being the matchwinners.

So frustrating! We had enough chances to win that game. Miller did the donkey work well but we need a striker who can score, he should have scored that chance in the first half. If he lifted the ball we were in the lead.

Fair to say Burley is gone but does Scottish football need a new manager or a bit of a shake up? We have three governing bodies in the SPL, SFA and SFL but surely it would be better for a small nation such as ourselves to have one who are completely committed to one cause rather than three who have their own interests. A better structure within Scottish football would surely benefit a national manager if the standard of the league is better. Doubt it will ever happen mind you.

I was calling for Burley's head before the game on Saturday but the last two performances might be enough to save him. I'm still not convinced but i'm not convinced we can get anyone better. I'd say give him the Euros. Good game tonight, if only Miller had sunk that sitter it would have been different. I thought he was terrible tonight, just no composure at all and he kept getting the ball at his feet and trying to take on 4 players himself instead of holding it up and waiting for support. Infuriating.

I agree with all of this. Individual mistakes, one from a player who wouldn't be in the squad if we didn't have a lot of injuries, and several from a waste of space that did nothing but greet about how shit his team-mates were all night, was all the difference.

Scotland need to get a tad more discipline as well. Too much boo-hooing at the ref when a decision goes against them. I'm sure refs don't appreciate people shouting abuse and waving their arms about EVERY decision that doesn't go their way.

If we are going to persist with Kenny Miller up front i'd like to see him with a partner who can naturally put the ball in the net (ie) Kris Boyd, or someone similar in style.

Kenny Miller should be taken out into a field and shot.

The boy is utter shite. Anyone could run about like a headless chicken up front.

That game was well and truly there for the taking last night. No composure as usual and totally bottled it (fuck me, it's just like watching the Dons) ;)

And what the fuck was going on with the Dutch goal? What a fucking disaster.

Good job I wasn't drinking or it would have been sore heeds all round today.

Scotland DIE! Boom :up:

It's the age-old thing. Scotland only play well when they're underdogs. Arguably they were underdogs on Saturday against Macedonia as they'd just come back from a 4-0 humping. Burley inherited a squad who believed they were better than they were and it's only a series of wake-up call results that have got them back to playing like they did last night...a gutsy performance. Of course, the lack of a finisher (that's where McFadden could have come in useful) and the odd defensive fuck-up will always be a problem for us.

Kris 'Hey, I just scored five past Hamilton' Boyd can fuck off though - if Burley does go and someone else comes in, I hope the first thing they do is tell that arse-faced clown that he won't be playing during their tenure.