aberdeen-music

Aberdeen-Music stalking.

Lemonade

Guest Gladstone
I do agree with you, of course they are entitled to not serve you anything, but I think it does get messy and is interfering with your rights if you have provided an ID and the store is happy with positive identification that proves you are over 18, then they discriminate against selling you a product because of the company you keep.

I don't know why I am so angry about it anyway, im 26 and most of my friends are of similar age and it rarely ever happens to me. I shall let the 18 year olds cry about it.

I hear you, but honestly, nobody has a "right" to buy alcohol from Morrisons (or any other particular supermarket). In exactly the same way that I don't have the "right" to walk into Topman and buy a jacket.

It is a contractual agreement between the seller and the buyer. In fact, I'll go all "cool story bro" on you here, with the basics of contract law - a person taking a product to the till in a shop is an "offer", and the shop has the discretion to give their "acceptance" by agreeing to sell the product to the customer - but they have absolutely no obligation to accept the offer.

A contract is only complete when there has been an offer and an acceptance.

Anyway - this is the stalking thread, so let's stop talking about buying alcohol!

I saw Circus Hands on Tuesday attempting to play drums at Captain Tom's at the Underkills practice. Not a proper stalk because I vented abuse at him for 2 hours. ;)

The reason supermarkets will ask your mates for ID is due to the fact that they can still get fined for not considering that the alcohol is being bought for someone under the age of 18 or who cannot prove their age through the use of ID. As a personal licence holder, I sure as hell don't want to be fined if a checkout operator commits a proxy sale and the police start pointing fingers.

If I'm in charge then it's myself and the operator who sold the booze as well as the person who committed the proxy sale that's getting done. In my line of work, I can't afford to have my licence revoked or pay a hefty fine for that matter!

At the end of the day, the under 25 policy gives shops a safety net, because there are loads of kids out there who look a lot older than they actually are and we're all trained to look out for signs of proxy sales. So don't get angry, people just want to keep their jobs! :)

In France I've never seen or heard of anyone getting ID'd for anything ever. The laws are pretty much the same as back home but they are just more relaxed towards it. I mean, If you really want to get a hold of booze and fags when you're 15 it's easy enough without having to buy it yourself so why get so militant about it to the point where a lot of people in that borderline of-age looking 18-25 bracket constantly have that awkward moment at the counter where they get eyed-up by the assistant. It's only mildly annoying, all you need to do is flash your driving license but still, it shatters your street cred. Luckily I have none to shatter. That said, I've not been ID'd back home for a good while so my balls must have finally dropped.

I feel this is an important point. Our government made a massive deal about trying to introduce a "more continental attitude" to drinking by introducing 24 hour licencing etc. France doesn't have nearly the kind of drinking problems we do. I say, if they are 18, let them buy alcohol. If they give it to underagers, so be it. Granted there will be 12 year old nedling scum off their face on white lightning for a few years on every street corner, but hey! Natural selection through liver disease! And the winner is... Society!

simple answer to the problem is if your 18 and over carry ID to prove it.

no need to get pissed off at the clerk because your cursing yourself for leaving ID at home or whatever, it's not their fault.

If i go to the shop before I catch the bus for work in the mornings, theres always a group of teenage girls waiting to ask you to buy em fags

they only get as far as "excuse me" before I'm shouting "I'm nae buying you fags!"

they are nice an polite when they want you to buy em fags, but wasnae you wi that group of youths the other nights shouting abuse at me when i was walking home

FUCK OFF

As a checkout assistant at a supermarket, let it be known that we're tested regularly on people who look 18-25, and if we make the most remote slip-up, there are massive ramifications for both shop and employee. So bring yr ID. Don't be a prick about it, we're just doing our job. Kthx.

We are not allowed to sell alcohol to someone we suspect is going to give it to someone underage, and if you don't look over 25 and can't produce ID then we need to treat it as if they are under 18. So if you are with someone buying alcohol and cannot provide ID we assume the person buying it is going to give it to/share it with the "underager" it seems kind of silly, but then if it wasn't in place then we would have 15 year olds walking up with any tom, dick or harry they could find to buy them alcohol and we wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's just another one of those things here the minority of people ruin it for the majority.

That policy will only ever work on any one individual once as the next time the underager will just wait outside the shop. I see what you're trying to do but you don't exactly need to be a criminal mastermind to figure this one out. The silliest part of it all is that people who are most likely to flout the law are the people who are most likely to know about it, meanwhile the ignorant majority are inconvenienced for (in my opinion) no good reason.

I agree with everything you're saying, but I'm just pointing out that this is one of these company policies thick to the brim with woolly-minded good intentions that doesn't actually accomplish anything significant other than inconveniencing genuine customers.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

We are not allowed to sell alcohol to someone we suspect is going to give it to someone underage, and if you don't look over 25 and can't produce ID then we need to treat it as if they are under 18. So if you are with someone buying alcohol and cannot provide ID we assume the person buying it is going to give it to/share it with the "underager" it seems kind of silly, but then if it wasn't in place then we would have 15 year olds walking up with any tom, dick or harry they could find to buy them alcohol and we wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's just another one of those things here the minority of people ruin it for the majority.

That policy will only ever work on any one individual once as the next time the underager will just wait outside the shop. I see what you're trying to do but you don't exactly need to be a criminal mastermind to figure this one out. The silliest part of it all is that people who are most likely to flout the law are the people who are most likely to know about it, meanwhile the ignorant majority are inconvenienced for (in my opinion) no good reason.

I agree with everything you're saying, but I'm just pointing out that this is one of these company policies thick to the brim with woolly-minded good intentions that doesn't actually accomplish anything significant other than inconveniencing genuine customers.

To be honest, I don't think John's making the policies...