aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

The exact change thing is actually done to prevent theft. The drivers don't have access to the money box at all, so if their takings are short it's because they're genuinely short and not because the driver needed an extra fiver to buy a packet of fags.

But yeah, it is a ballache.

So First are more likely to hire robbing bastards than Stagecoach?

In Edinburgh with Lothian you can get a prepaid ticket for 20 journeys which can then be used until all the journeys are redeemed. I guess First would also be unwilling to invest in something like that? The card reading infrastructure is already in place there due to the ridacards instead of these old bus passes where you have to get it stamped. But aren't the OAP/disabled card holders using a scanning system for travel anyway? I don't really get on first buses anymore due to living close to town but they really should do that for everyone. It's so much easier to pay direct debit for a bus pass that doesn't need stamped every month and you just insert into the reader on journeys. Easier for drivers too.

They have machines that issue tickets at some stops in the centre of Edinburgh but never used them so don't know how good/bad they are.

I miss the Edinburgh bus service. It was amazing until the tram works started. Now every time I go home it just gets bloody confusing due to different parts of the city being dug up every time. Don't even get me started on the trams. Biggest fucking waste of money ever and even before the farcical money spent is taken into consideration the inconvenience it has caused everyone is mindblowing.

The exact change thing is actually done to prevent theft. The drivers don't have access to the money box at all, so if their takings are short it's because they're genuinely short and not because the driver needed an extra fiver to buy a packet of fags.

Doesn't make sense. Using that logic, if McDonalds can give change, so can First.

Would it be so all the money is inaccessible, thus preventing the driver from getting robbed?

I'm sure I was once told that the exact change policy isn't in place on all first services in the country just in certain cities. Which makes their reasoning for it even more interesting, whatever it is.

When I was back in Aberdeen recently the last bus from town to my mum's place just didn't turn up. I was at the stop 15 mins before it was due and waited until 20 mins after.

Ended up sharing a taxi with a girl going in the same direction and you'll never guess what happened next!

I had a conversation with the driver about mysterious cities of gold and other classic 80s cartoons while the girl sat by looking rather confused.

Doesn't make sense. Using that logic, if McDonalds can give change, so can First.

Would it be so all the money is inaccessible, thus preventing the driver from getting robbed?

That's part of it, but the main reason is as I described. Driver theft is far more common than a member of the public sticking the bus up. Not trying to be a know-it-all - I'm just speaking as someone with experience working in the finance department of a bus company.

DPD have redeemed themselves entirely! The driver swung past an hour ago and delivered my Miniak.

He seemed confused though...

Me: Thanks! I thought I was going to the depot tomorrow to get this

Driver: I automatically try again the next day

Me: Yeah but it was this morning that you failed to deliver

Driver: But I automatically come back the next day

Me: Yes, it was today that you tried the first delivery.

DPD have redeemed themselves entirely! The driver swung past an hour ago and delivered my Miniak.

He seemed confused though...

Me: Thanks! I thought I was going to the depot tomorrow to get this

Driver: I automatically try again the next day

Me: Yeah but it was this morning that you failed to deliver

Driver: But I automatically come back the next day

Me: Yes, it was today that you tried the first delivery.

Was he foreign or a robot or something?

• Upvote 1