aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I always chuckle at the almost religious zeal Atheists seem to have about their Atheism...

Irony, much?

*can of worms opens*

Yeah, I much prefer those atheists who are embarassed... It is emphatically not ironic to be zealously atheistic in anything other than purely semantic terms. Enthusiastic or passionate atheism if you'd rather.

I can hear the "but you're as bad as fundamentalists" arguments coming, but I would hope most people realise that being "zealous" about atheism is a whole different thing to being "zealous" or militant about a particular faith.

Actually, I wish I hadn't replied to this now, this whole debate is contained in other threads.

*can of worms opens*

Yeah, I much prefer those atheists who are embarassed... It is emphatically not ironic to be zealously atheistic in anything other than purely semantic terms. Enthusiastic or passionate atheism if you'd rather.

I can hear the "but you're as bad as fundamentalists" arguments coming, but I would hope most people realise that being "zealous" about atheism is a whole different thing to being "zealous" or militant about a particular faith.

Actually, I wish I hadn't replied to this now, this whole debate is contained in other threads.

Amen bro

*can of worms opens*

Cool story bro. My post was tongue in cheek, well done for missing the tone.

I hate it when there's a new post on the funny pictures thread, and the title is in blue and I'm excited to see what new and entertaining internet meme from 2 years ago will appear only to find there's no new pictures but just some cunt saying how funny the above picture is.

Basterds.

It is a highly likely they have their accounts linked so they can update their Facebook by Tweeting by text. Pretty much everyone I have on Twitter and Facebook have this set up.

:up:

have to say thats a bit above me head!! even so its still bloody annoying :up:

Willie Thorne ruining a snooker match with his fucking awful commentary, all the other chaps are really good apart from Clive Everton who seems to have been pensioned off. But Thorne is dreadful, he cannot go through a frame without saying a shot was 'top drawer' Thankfully the cunt is absent from ruining my enjoyment of the O'Sullivan v Ebdon match. Plus he's bald and has a moustache so more reasons to hate him. And he was a shit snooker player in his day, almost as crap as Virgo!:up:

Guest idol_wild
George Street.

You know, I've never ever encountered any trouble on George Street and I used to walk up and down it almost every day and frequently in the wee hours of the morning as I lived on Charlotte Street. Just nothing. Yet I hear so many bad stories of people being started on and such like.

Think I've only had trouble once, thankfully the two guys were so out of it that by the time they realised I was gone I was in a much more well-lit and less dodgy part of George Street. It's just such an awful, awful place. Some of the things I've witnessed at work have just been beyond belief. At least I don't have to engage with anyone or anything on any level, which works absolutely fine for me!

Never felt threatened on George St at all, albeit I'm well aware of how dodgy it can be having witnessed the cleanup of a stabbing outside farmfoods a few years back...

Mind you, the Co-op round the corner's a bit dodgy. I hear the staff are right animals at times...

I lived on Calsayseat Road for over a year and frequently felt unsafe walking up George Street at night. A couple of times with good reason, though nothing serious ever happened to me.

That aforementioned stabbing outside Farmfoods occurred just as I should have been walking past there on my way home at that exact time, but I decided to taxi it instead. Woke up the next morning to loads of voicemails asking if I was dead...

Once witnessed a massive fight between some neds and some polish guys who'd apparently been using the neds as target practice with an air rifle. Metal bars and everything involved. Every time we called the cops they'd turn up, everyone scattered then 5 minutes later they'd come back and start again. Eventually one of the poles got smacked in the head with the metal bar and his mates had to carry him away.

Also looked out my flat window once to see one guy getting attacked by a group of guys with sticks and buckie bottles. Pretty sure there was at least one drug dealer using the public phone box across the road as well.

Not to mention all the warnings Denzil used to give us about the muggers in the area who'd ask for change then rob you. Plus all the fights witnessed outside Thains and the number of times I was challenged as I walked home or heard about people getting started on as they walked home.

A couple of years ago after I'd stopped living there I was walking back from another flat on George Street in the snow and there was one nutter just going walking back and forth across the street harassing people and threatening to stab them. That was good fun trying not to catch him up.

Having said all that I had some great times in the George Street area and definitely don't hate it. But you should keep an eye out there at night.

George Street is horrible. I lived on Elmbank Road for a while and had to walk up George Street to get home, and it was just full of junkies and crazies, no matter what time of the day or night. One Friday night while walking home I got jumped on from behind by two neds who knocked me on the pavement and then took turns booting me in the face and stamping on me while I lay motionless on the ground. That was fun. Smashed my pretty face up, broke my nose, and left my ribs, chest and arms covered in bruises. Thankfully a passer-by intervened and told them to stop, since I was lying defenceless in a pool of blood. The injuries weren't too bad but it really affected me mentally, I wouldn't walk anywhere by myself at night for like 2 years afterwards. I still hate George Street.

Mr. Rathen is right; no matter what time of day you walk down George Street, you're always going to see at least one person who looks like a complete and utter lunatic, nailed-on. I've never had any trouble personally, but I've felt uneasy walking up the street alone a couple of times. Two of my friends were started on by four or five pissed-up Polish guys a couple of months ago. They were spewing all kinds of racist toot (one of my friends is black) but the Polish guys were monged off their faces and my mates managed to talk their way out of it. Scary shit, though; they were followed home and heard them calling for them even when they got to their flat.

I've lived on George St. for 5 months. It's full of crazies and there are numerous fights every week (I like just a few doors along from Thain's, which seems to be a hotspot), and it's certainly hard to argue that it's not a dodgy street, but I think that you can avoid trouble if you're careful enough. If it's a Friday or Saturday I'll walk along the Gallowgate and down Hutcheon Street instead, but if I'm in a large enough group then we'll just walk up it. Not had any trouble so far, but having said that I'll probably get my block knocked-off next time I nip down to the Spar for a pint of milk.

I quite like it during the day, though. Plenty of places to go for lunch/tea if I'm feeling lazy, and there are some quite interesting shops.

I've stood there at 10pm-ish at night waiting for a bus after band practice quite alot. Not had much trouble personally, but seem to see alot of batshit mentals hovering about. One of them kicking the door at the off license repeatedly, because he was convinced it was 9:55 and should still be open, even though it was 10:15.