aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

People at work who never tidy the fridge or put away their dishes.

This does my head in too. The minky bastards at my work are incapable of putting away their dishes and always leave food to go rotten in the fridge. Its rank. Most of them can't even wash cutlery and plates properly. You take them out of the cupboard and they are still covered in someone else's lunch. Yuck!

Aw man, all we did in Film Studies was talk about how stuff was either a penis or a vagina. It got to the point where one of our lecturers was making a fairly far-fetched point about some spaceship or other looking like a vagina AND being phallic at the same time. One of the students had enough and just asked what the fuck that had to do with anything we'd been talking about up to that point (which was nothing). You can read sexual imagery into almost anything, and sometimes it will be relevant. Other times it's just film students seeing how many times they can fit the word 'penis' and 'vagina' into an essay/presentation.

Published works by Dr Martin Fradley include...

(I'm right, aren't I?)

(Am I?)

Guy was ace, he was getting paid to pretty much troll people and most of them fell for it every time. One of the best lecturers I had. Loads of folk hated him, but he always seemed open to people calling him on what he said if they could support their arguments intelligently. A subject like film studies shouldn't be about getting the 'right' answers, but developing the critical faculties to make informed reading of texts, not making inflexible statements like 'the shark's mouth in Jaws IS a vagina' that make you look like a tit, but saying 'from perspective (X), the shark's mouth in Jaws could be read as a vagina because...'

Lettuce in sandwiches; it's not a proper filling, it's just more crap for me to pick out. It also annoys me just how many sandwiches have fucking lettuce in them as well, wtf happened to variety?!?!?!?! "blah blah WITH LETTUCE" or "blah de blah WITH LETTUCE".

It is raw tomato in a sandwich that really gets me. At least with lettuce it doesn't taint the whole sandwich with its evil, vile, shite, wrench inducing taste.

I can openly admit I am racist to raw tomato. Cooked in something, fantastic, but if it is raw, it might as well be taking our jobs.

Best use of fanny imagery in a film = the tops of the eggs in Alien. They actually had to persuade H.R. Giger to re-design them to have 4 segments as originally it basically was just a pretty detailed set of labia on top of the eggs. Old perv.

Back to change in shops - not so long ago someone was whining about folk coming in with a 20 sheet first thing in the morning, now there's moaning about too much change - do folk working on tills just whinge the whole time? It's not a perfect world and you aren't going to get the correct money in the most efficient mix of denominations all the time...

Published works by Dr Martin Fradley include...

(I'm right, aren't I?)

(Am I?)

Guy was ace, he was getting paid to pretty much troll people and most of them fell for it every time. One of the best lecturers I had. Loads of folk hated him, but he always seemed open to people calling him on what he said if they could support their arguments intelligently. A subject like film studies shouldn't be about getting the 'right' answers, but developing the critical faculties to make informed reading of texts, not making inflexible statements like 'the shark's mouth in Jaws IS a vagina' that make you look like a tit, but saying 'from perspective (X), the shark's mouth in Jaws could be read as a vagina because...'

Awwww. I'm extremely flattered! However, I imagine the whole spaceship-as-penis/vagina obsession has been unduly credited to my good self, when it is almost certainly Steve Rawle who is the culprit.

I would never be so glib, honest! :laughing:

Awwww. I'm extremely flattered! However, I imagine the whole spaceship-as-penis/vagina obsession has been unduly credited to my good self, when it is almost certainly Steve Rawle who is the culprit.

I would never be so glib, honest! :laughing:

Oh God, we've got enough pretentious bastards round here as it is.

Don't you have some first years to seduce or something?

16753-13443.gif

• Upvote 1

People at work who never tidy the fridge or put away their dishes.

I got a disciplinary at my old job because I wasn't doing support workers washing up. Even though I was getting paid more than they were for being a senior administrator, I was expected to wash their soup bowls after their lunch, because they simply "didn't have the time". It's not even something a cleaner would do, or be expected to do, since cleaning up after yourself is just common courtesy.

It was a charity though, and charities are all batshit mental by default it seems.

Oh God, we've got enough pretentious bastards round here as it is.

Don't you have some first years to seduce or something?

16753-13443.gif

I tend to leave it until third year, pal.

Back on Topic:

i) Kneejerk arseholes who dismiss anything outside their experience as "pretentious"

ii) Students who dismiss anything conceptual or vaguely abstract as "bollocks" without actually bothering to try and understand the thing they're dismissing.

iii) Vacuous neoliberal cretins who will see the fucking Tories elected in a few months. Well done.

Re-releases of albums I already own that provide a better deal than my previous purchases.

This months Uncut magazine has reviews for the 3 Galaxie 500 albums, 'Today', 'On Fire' and 'This Is Our Music' which are now being released as 2-disc efforts with 'Uncollected', 'Peel Sessions' and 'Copenhagen' as the bonus discs - all of these were previously released as stand alone CD's, so my 6 purchases has now become 3. Grrr.

Re-releases of albums I already own that provide a better deal than my previous purchases.

This months Uncut magazine has reviews for the 3 Galaxie 500 albums, 'Today', 'On Fire' and 'This Is Our Music' which are now being released as 2-disc efforts with 'Uncollected', 'Peel Sessions' and 'Copenhagen' as the bonus discs - all of these were previously released as stand alone CD's, so my 6 purchases has now become 3. Grrr.

This is why it makes sense just to illegally download stuff.

That's a fair point. If I had just laid a brown snake and reached for the bog roll only to find that little fluffy scroat-bag had dragged it all away to play with adorably, the only sensible choice would be to grab the little bastard himself and finish the clean up job with his fur.

Exactly.

We're clearly advanced thinkers. We'll end up in charge.

That's a fair point. If I had just laid a brown snake and reached for the bog roll only to find that little fluffy scroat-bag had dragged it all away to play with adorably, the only sensible choice would be to grab the little bastard himself and finish the clean up job with his fur.

then flush the little cunt....

whenever women are described as 'full time mums'

as if there is such a thing as a part time mum

' yeah i look after it when i get home from work but most of the time i just leave it in the kitchen with a paddling pool and the toaster nearby incase it gets hungry. Oh yeah, and i have to leave a really sharp knife if he wants to cut the bread cos he is still quite weak'

staff meetings. fucking awful. i had one today that lasted 2 hours longer than it should have. the whole point of it was to get ideas on how to get everyone working more effectively as a team, etc. one of the first things that came up was the lack of communication between everyone. so everyone started shouting ideas and what-have-you without actually being patient and listening to what others had to say. anyone else know this feeling?!

person 1: "COMMUNI-"

person 2: "COMMUNICATION GUYZ!!!!"

person 3: "GUYZ WE DON'T SPEAK TO-"

person 4: "NO-ONE LISTENS TO ME!!!!"

ALL AT THE SAME FREAKIN' TIME. and no-one sees the irony in the whole situation. bah. idiots.