aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest Gladstone
God yes, this annoys me too. Not everything has a hidden meaning. Not every character and every prop is supposed to symbolise something. JUST ENJOY THE FUCKING FILM!!!!

I approve.

These fuckers must never enjoy anything. What a miserable existence.

Guest Gladstone
Just quickly lick your fingers first.

You think I haven't tried that?

That just makes me look even more special.

Not only can I not get into the little bastarding bag, but I'm standing at the front of a supermarket queue, frantically licking my fingers.

I can see the argument here BUT at the same time I can't be bothered with a level of wankiness that looks for hidden meaning that in many cases just simply isn't there.

Animal Farm is a good case in point, it's a fairly clear, blunt and in your face example of something that's supposed to be taken on two different levels. Ditto The Crucible.

But in many cases pretentious bastards "see" things that the author/director/painter/whoever simply didn't intend to be there in the first place. I lasted one class of film studies at University before I got fed up of the tutor trying to tell me that Bum Stroker's Dracula was some sort of allegory for the Vietnam war, or something.

I think it's interesting you used the phrase 'hidden meanings'. I don't really agree that anyone's hiding anything. There's no cheat code that gets you infinte critical ammo and infinite lives or something.

I also don't think that just because an author doesn't intended something to be in their work that it's invalid for it to be there, not to mention it's really good fun examining these ideas, even if they don't always stand up to scrutiny. People stake their own claims to work once it's open to the public; the validity of their reading depends on how well researched, thought out and supported it is.

I agree pretension is really awful though, but I still think inverse-pretension is even more sickening. A pretentious arsehole still has something to say, even if it's laughable. What does someone who blatantly refuses to engage with a piece of work have to say? One thing that strikes me about inverse-pretention is that while pretentious people often pretend to be more educated than they really are, inverse-pretentious people pretend to be under-educated and 'common-as-muck', as if being uneducated and close-minded is some kind of romantic ideal, which is kind of offensive in some ways.

Hmm...

EDIT: For the benefit of Original Spies :

I hate when someone uses a broken cash machine, then refuses to tell everyone queing behind them it's broken. Saying 'it's broken' takes a fucking second. ARRRTGJDHQKWIHD!

I also don't think that just because an author doesn't intended something to be in their work that it's invalid for it to be there, not to mention it's really good fun examining these ideas, even if they don't always stand up to scrutiny.

Well we can agree to disagree, I don't find looking for something that quite probably isn't there fun at all, life's too short. At the same time I'm not going to decide to watch nothing but ITV so that people don't think I'm a cunt because I've got a decent degree. I like to strike a happy medium, if a book or a film or whatever looks good, I'll watch it/read it but I don't need to work out what it "means" just to somehow convince myself that I'm an intellectual.

• Upvote 1

Well we can agree to disagree, I don't find looking for something that quite probably isn't there fun at all, life's too short. At the same time I'm not going to decide to watch nothing but ITV so that people don't think I'm a cunt because I've got a decent degree. I like to strike a happy medium, if a book or a film or whatever looks good, I'll watch it/read it but I don't need to work out what it "means" just to somehow convince myself that I'm an intellectual.

That sounds pretty healthy to me :)

Genunine thanks for the civil reply.

I hate dropping money. Even though it's my money, I feel like a penny pincher bending down to pick it up. There's something about picking money up off the floor that uneases me. Like, everyone is looking at me, and assuming I'm picking up lost change, and not because of being a clumsy butter fingers. I hate that, y'know?

I hate dropping money. Even though it's my money, I feel like a penny pincher bending down to pick it up. There's something about picking money up off the floor that uneases me. Like, everyone is looking at me, and assuming I'm picking up lost change, and not because of being a clumsy butter fingers. I hate that, y'know?

I never have this problem. Mind you, I'm Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II, so I never carry cash.

The guys that come in to Morrisons at 10am everyday with their change counted out with hundreds of coppers and 5p's. Kinda feel sorry for them at the same time, how much do you need to fuck up your life before you find yourself there a few years down the road?

Maybe they just want rid of all their shrapnel. Maybe they have also seen the threads with you moaning about the things shoppers do to irritate you and decided this would be another good tactic.

If they have counted out the change why is this irritating enough for it to be a pet hate for you, surely all you have to do is take change and deposit in the drawer?

The guys that come in to Morrisons at 10am everyday with their change counted out with hundreds of coppers and 5p's. Kinda feel sorry for them at the same time, how much do you need to fuck up your life before you find yourself there a few years down the road?

Indeed. Imagine being so destitute that you can only afford to shop at Morrisons.

There but for the grace of God...

Lettuce in sandwiches; it's not a proper filling, it's just more crap for me to pick out. It also annoys me just how many sandwiches have fucking lettuce in them as well, wtf happened to variety?!?!?!?! "blah blah WITH LETTUCE" or "blah de blah WITH LETTUCE".

I just want to go to a shop, pick up a sandwich and pay for it, not fanny about getting some pleb with a hat on to make me one.

Lettuce in sandwiches; it's not a proper filling, it's just more crap for me to pick out. It also annoys me just how many sandwiches have fucking lettuce in them as well, wtf happened to variety?!?!?!?! "blah blah WITH LETTUCE" or "blah de blah WITH LETTUCE".

I just want to go to a shop, pick up a sandwich and pay for it, not fanny about getting some pleb with a hat on to make me one.

I don't mind lettuce, but it depends on the leaf itself I suppose. Week old, lifeless crap I can be doing without.

I'm hating ham sandwiches at the moment. They're just so boring and such a default sandwich. Even with various different varieties of ham slices in the supermarket it still ends up tasting like a shitty ham sandwich.

It's never crisp though, it's soggy and looks like slime when I pick it out of my sandwiches. One of the reasons I have to have a sandwich with lettuce is because most of the ham sandwiches have crappy congealed pink stuff that doesn't even taste like ham. It's even difficult to get a tuna sandwich without sweetcorn now!

Maybe they just want rid of all their shrapnel. Maybe they have also seen the threads with you moaning about the things shoppers do to irritate you and decided this would be another good tactic.

If they have counted out the change why is this irritating enough for it to be a pet hate for you, surely all you have to do is take change and deposit in the drawer?

You can't trust that a customer has given you the correct change. That's just asking for till shortages.

John W - why did you put an apostrophe in sandwiches (sandwich's), but not trays? Surely, as they're both plurals, if one deserves an apostrophe then so should the other.

(FWIW, neither should have an apostrophe.)

Inconsistent grammar is a total pet hate of mine - if you're going to get it wrong, then at least get it all wrong. The amount of times I see the following in a shop window or menu:

Coffees, sandwiches, toasties, panini's.

Why would the slightly fancy-sounding word suddenly warrant an apostrophe?

People are stoooopid.

John W - why did you put an apostrophe in sandwiches (sandwich's), but not trays? Surely, as they're both plurals, if one deserves an apostrophe then so should the other.

(FWIW, neither should have an apostrophe.)

Inconsistent grammar is a total pet hate of mine - if you're going to get it wrong, then at least get it all wrong. The amount of times I see the following in a shop window or menu:

Coffees, sandwiches, toasties, panini's.

Why would the slightly fancy-sounding word suddenly warrant an apostrophe?

People are stoooopid.

Misuse of apostrophes - Bad

Intentionally spelling words wildly wrong - REALLY COOL.

You know grammar covers everything from punctuation to spelling, right? Where's the consistency?

My pet hate today. Going the wrong way. You know when you're walking down the street and you suddenly change your mind about where you're going, or you realise that you're going the wrong. You can't just turn round and walk the other way because people will think you're an idiot. So you stop, and get out your phone and pretend to read a text, look at your watch, then make a big show of turning round and mouthing "Oh for fuck's sake!" the flounce off in the other direction as though someone has just fucked up your plans.

Can we all just agree to just start simply turning round and going the other way, because I have to do this all the time.