aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

You should probably be extra careful driving around cyclists now anyway. If you hit one, and the cops see you making murderous statements like these on the internet you'll be straight to the big house.

Sounds like that Tom Cruise film, where they hammer down on folk for even thinking about committing a crime. Great film.

Ok, here's one:

Pretention is an awful thing, but inverse-pretention is even fucking worse.You know the thing I mean; when people pretend to be salt-of-the-Earth because they're deathly afraid of someone calling them out and having to either explain their position or admit that they've been moved by something.

Music a bit challenging? Pretend not like it, esposue the values of a 'proper' rock band over all this bleepy-bloopy shite, because real men like rock, yeah? Musical stagnation, whoo yeah!

Ambigious ending of a film? Aye, 'at wiz pure balls, wiz it min! Christ, just admit you find it tough! It might invite learning and discussion.

Modern art isn't 'real' art. Why? Because it requires emotional or intellectual engagement? Fuck you.

It must be awful to use the Ronseal slogan as your life philosophy, but I see it all the time. Guardian columnist faux-intelligista are awful, but I'd rather hang out with them than an emotional or intellectual coward.

Modern art isn't 'real' art. Why? Because it requires emotional or intellectual engagement? Fuck you.

Amongst all that neurosis you struck a chord with me on that one. How many times have you heard... 'I could have done that' in reference to a piece of conceptual art?

You didn't though did you? you tit!

Amongst all that neurosis you struck a chord with me on that one. How many times have you heard... 'I could have done that' in reference to a piece of conceptual art?

You didn't though did you? you tit!

Let's face it though, some of the stuff that folk put out and call art is pure shit. :popcorn:

EDIT: Case in point:

tracey-emin-my-bed.jpg

Let's face it though, some of the stuff that folk put out and call art is pure shit. :popcorn:

Of course it is (literally, sometimes), but I have a lot more respect for someone who can discuss why they don't like something that's been made to be engaged with intellectually than someone who spends 2 seconds staring blankly before farting something like 'My wee brither could dee 'at' out of their gob.

hmm... i'm definitely not gonna get into a debate about the merits of Tracey Emin coz it'll no doubt just go in circles.

I will say though, conceptual art is exactly the same as any other forms of art, there are things that people find shit and others think are amazing. Personally I dont think the bed is outstanding but at the same time I don't think it's shit. I do think its as valid a depiction of the mental state she was in after a breakup as a photorealistic selfportrait of her greeting would have been... but that wouldn't have gotten as much column inches. The point is that you can look into it as far as you want... the fact it's merit as an artwork is in question is even part of the idea. (an unmade bed being a symbol for a 'lazy' artist)

She did a much better piece, on display in Edinburgh actually, which is a tent with the names of all the people she has slept with embroidered into it. Folk'l say again it's just a tent with writing on it and anyone could do that but that's missing the point entirely. It gets you thinking about what your tent would look like, questions the sacredness of sex, etc... there's a lot more to it than what the thing looks like, it's all about projecting ideas onto an object.

The thing is though, she's nowhere near one of the best conceptual artists knocking about so it's unfair when people bring her up when bashing it.

Do you look it that and just see a messy bed?

Yes!

and in my mind I can conjure up an image of the untidy minger that left it that way....:)

Does anybody remember that "2 Rows of Bricks" that some daft twat at a gallery paid thousands for?....... I don't call that art.... ooh he placed those bricks so uniformly!, what can he be trying to say?..... gtf, absolute pish!

Yes!

and in my mind I can conjure up an image of the untidy minger that left it that way....:)

Does anybody remember that "2 Rows of Bricks" that some daft twat at a gallery paid thousands for?....... I don't call that art.... ooh he placed those bricks so uniformly!, what can he be trying to say?..... gtf, absolute pish!

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is

Rapidly agin'.

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

For the times they are a-changin'.

It is just a messy bed. I think people look too hard to find meaning in stuff that just doesn't matter or isn't there to find. Yes, Emin can put some story behind it, but it's still essentially an unmade bed. There's nothing behind that for me, but someone who couldn't be arsed one day and thought, "Hmmm, I could pass this as art and folk will buy into it". That's the world we live in. People buying into "art" because it's cool or trendy as if if puts them in some intellectual bracket above everyone else.

That's my perception of that kind of art anyway. Hate me all you want for it, but if I had a younger sibling, then yes, they could do that. Would it pass as art? No, because they wouldn't be mingling in the same social, arty farty cliques. Simple as that.

Something like Banksy is what I appreciate as art. Politically charged, visually aesthetic pieces. Something that doesn't need to have some strange obscure meaning behind it. It just is. That to me is art.

But, horses for courses, eh? :up:

/rant

• Upvote 1

I don't think this was meant as a serious critique in anyones taste in art.

Oh, and there's the episode where Homer is an outsider artist in The Simpsons on C4 right now.

I don't see what's wrong with criticising modern art on its face value of being a load of wank. I went to the Centre Pompidou and one of the things I saw was like a canvas painted with what looks like that textured paint stuff, you know, like paint-on stucco? And it was grey! Fucking bullshit, man. Gimme some Warhol or some Banksy, I can appreciate what they're doing there.

That's my perception of that kind of art anyway.

I think that just about sums it up. You're brushing aside a lot of worthy stuff based on your thoughts about one particular piece that not many people thought was great anyway.

It's exactly the same as me saying all metal music is shit because I heard one song once where a guy was screaming. I know nothing about it but I know better than to dismiss it.

Also, the cliquiness of the art world has existed forever. Your wee bro wouldn't have gotten into a national gallery back in the 16th century either, even if he could draw perfect renditions of plump whores flashin their tits on sofas surrounded by cherubs.

I think that just about sums it up. You're brushing aside a lot of worthy stuff based on your thoughts about one particular piece that not many people thought was great anyway.

It's exactly the same as me saying all metal music is shit because I heard one song once where a guy was screaming. I know nothing about it but I know better than to dismiss it.

Also, the cliquiness of the art world has existed forever. Your wee bro wouldn't have gotten into a national gallery back in the 16th century either, even if he could draw perfect renditions of plump whores flashin their tits on sofas surrounded by cherubs.

By the way, her tent is shit too. :up:

EDIT: to be fair, not as bad as the bed, but still, come on. She gets paid for this?

Yeah. If you aren't informed, then you aren't a critic.

I went to the Emin exhibition in Edinburgh last year (I think it was last year) and it was actually pretty good. She's completely crazy, but it was quite clear there's a lot of emotion in her pieces. Even the unmade bed!

Today's pet hate: my indoor aerial. It's driving my Freeview box mental and my outisde aerial doesn't work. Oh well.