aberdeen-music

What this scene needs

Guest Bob

Im quite upset that there is no scene anymore. Means Ill need to disband my own anti-scene. You absolute fuckin bastards!

Stripeys contributions are now at a new truly psychotic level however.

Too much time in the digital domain - not enough reality?!

That's how the posts read anyway.

Fuck off yourself, so many people around here have developed a false sense of security and it's about time they took a long hard look at what they are doing not in the context of this shithole of a city, but in the wider world, before they start acting all smug.

Or be like you and just take a look at what they are doing in the context of their own bedroom and act all smug.

Go back to polishing your motorbike flash, if you can't discuss things in an intelligent manner without resorting to pathetic insults against me and my music just don't bother.

Hey, you used the same comeback (more or less) with me earlier in the thread. C'mon min try something original ;)

First off... why does anybody need 'direction'? And from who? A man with a large cigar who repeatedly says 'I'll make you a STAR!'?

Secondly, its stating the obvious that unestablished people aren't going out of their way to help other bands. They're unestablished: they don't have the contacts.

If you don't want your head bitten off, stop spouting off buzz words like 'focus' that mean bugger all.

Why does it need direction? Cause at the minute, it represents one big mess, all these people, who have barely achieved fuck all in the grand scheme of things, only doing what's best for them. Of course, some people are very content with doing fuck all..which is fair enough. I dare say though, that there's a lot of people claiming to be happy with their lot when they blatantly aren't. As I said, it's no coincidence that the people with the most amount of security in themselves are the ones that are keen to do something for everyone.

I can think of two fairly prominent people on here who have made repeated noises about everyone working together in some form or another. Yet it's been consistently ignored by people for whatever reason. Why? Because people are more interested in their own little part of the 'industry'. They don't give a flying fuck about what goes on elsewhere, even if ten minutes of their time could help everyone.

The selfishness will kill off a great part of the music 'scene' here. Things aren't strong enough in Aberdeen for everyone to have their own agenda, especially as there's hardly big bucks supporting things.

As for direction, they should be directing themselves. It's not that bloody hard to cooperate for mutual benefit, is it? Yet there's very little evidence of it, sadly.

The selfishness will kill off a great part of the music 'scene' here. Things aren't strong enough in Aberdeen for everyone to have their own agenda, especially as there's hardly big bucks supporting things.

As for direction, they should be directing themselves. It's not that bloody hard to cooperate for mutual benefit, is it? Yet there's very little evidence of it, sadly.

Hey, I've got my own agenda and I don't give a toss about helping out anyone else up here, why on earth should I or anyone else give a damn what other people are doing? Why should there be a "scene" in aberdeen atall?

Why does it need direction? Cause at the minute, it represents one big mess, all these people, who have barely achieved fuck all in the grand scheme of things, only doing what's best for them. Of course, some people are very content with doing fuck all..which is fair enough. I dare say though, that there's a lot of people claiming to be happy with their lot when they blatantly aren't. As I said, it's no coincidence that the people with the most amount of security in themselves are the ones that are keen to do something for everyone.

I can think of two fairly prominent people on here who have made repeated noises about everyone working together in some form or another. Yet it's been consistently ignored by people for whatever reason. Why? Because people are more interested in their own little part of the 'industry'. They don't give a flying fuck about what goes on elsewhere, even if ten minutes of their time could help everyone.

What fucking industry? Of course people should be doing whats best for them! The whole concept of a 'music scene' is a bit of an illusion anyway, why should anyone in a band help out another band just because they are from the same area? It should be about people and bands you like helping each other out, sure, but mainly doing things themselves. You seem to think that everyone in a band is concerned with 'making it.' Why do you need big bucks supporting things? Its not hard to put on your own shows et al.

Sorry if that seems a little angry, but I think your posts are too ridiculous and too constant to ignore.

Actually, I'm not sorry at all!

Eureka!!!!!! I've got the answer to Aberdeen's lack of a 'Scene'....let's start 'grump', which would be cutting-edge dancefloor stuff utilising very old people moaning. Chilli, Graeme and myself can provide the grumping (although you're welcome to join in, Stripey), and Stripey and Rune can process it into something Maryanne Hobbs and Robbie Shepherd can both play.

Marketable or what????8-)

We could grump for grumpian

What fucking industry? Of course people should be doing whats best for them! The whole concept of a 'music scene' is a bit of an illusion anyway, why should anyone in a band help out another band just because they are from the same area? It should be about people and bands you like helping each other out, sure, but mainly doing things themselves. You seem to think that everyone in a band is concerned with 'making it.' Why do you need big bucks supporting things? Its not hard to put on your own shows et al.

See, this is exactly what's wrong. What's wrong with helping someone out randomly? What's wrong with a random act of kindness towards another band? What's wrong with generally doing a bit to improve things for everyone? Hell, why should "like" or "dislike" even come into it? I'd help out someone I disliked if they needed help and I could help them - to not consider helping them would be sheer selfishness.

Let's be honest, the vast majority of people making music aren't making it for themselves. There may be exceptions here and there, but it's essentially a vanity project in a lot of cases - as is most art.

Stripey - you're not relying on anyone though, are you? It's one thing to do your own thing when you rely on absolutely no-one, but another thing to rely on others while only being out for yourself.

As for what industry? Your record shops, your music venues, your equipment shops, it's all part of the same industry. To not support it is asking for it to die, ultimately.

Stripey - you're not relying on anyone though, are you? It's one thing to do your own thing when you rely on absolutely no-one, but another thing to rely on others while only being out for yourself.

I'm not entirely sure what that is supposed to mean, what's wrong with being self sufficient and independant? Who's relying on who while being out for themselves?

See, this is exactly what's wrong. What's wrong with helping someone out randomly? What's wrong with a random act of kindness towards another band? What's wrong with generally doing a bit to improve things for everyone? Hell, why should "like" or "dislike" even come into it? I'd help out someone I disliked if they needed help and I could help them - to not consider helping them would be sheer selfishness.

Let's be honest, the vast majority of people making music aren't making it for themselves. There may be exceptions here and there, but it's essentially a vanity project in a lot of cases - as is most art.

As for what industry? Your record shops, your music venues, your equipment shops, it's all part of the same industry. To not support it is asking for it to die, ultimately.

You're exactly whats wrong!

Whats the point in even considering to 'help' someone just because they also make music, in the same city or locale as you? Really? Its false comradery, and I'm sure the vast majority of people have far better things to do than do a bunch of stuff for someone on the sole basis that you share the same interest. Oh, and don't bother sweetening it up by calling it a 'random act of kindness.' Why should like and dislike come into it? What a stupid question! Why on earth would I put on a gig by, go to a gig by, or help out in any way, a band whose output I dislike? It literally makes no sense, other than to bolster gig numbers. Again, false comradery. Vote with your feet.

You might want to rethink that vanity statement, not doing something for yourself, but instead doing it as a vanity project? Again, it makes no sense.

I'll support record shops, music venues, equipment shops where and when I see fit. I'm not going to pay over the odds for a product which I can get elsewhere with a cheaper price, faster delivery and better service. Again, you should vote with your feet, not support something just because its local. To not support something is to show that its not doing something worthwhile to support, in most cases.

Maybe you should spend less time on an Aberdeen music forum, and do some 'poor bass playing' or keyboards in Essex? Maybe turn up unannounced at practice places and gigs to carry out 'random acts of kindness'? SUPPORT YR SCENE LOLZ

"Hey guys, came to help you load out!"

"Hey guys, heres some constructive criticism on your tunes, from me, Cloud!"

"Right, I've formulated a plan of action for your band! Focus is the main key!"

• Upvote 1

Cloud, the sheer volume of your naive bullshit leaves me feeling helpless once more.

you are a bufoon, you have proved it consistently for years

that coupled with the fact that you are on a completely different wavelength to 90% of the people here, i dont think you are in any position to be a consultant to the aberdeen music population.

you try to appear like you are some kind of music industry/business guru/expert, when in essence you are some boy with recordoftheday.com on your bookmark list and keyboard fingers

if you are so PRO scene as it were, why the constant shitting on RFR (who have pretty much brought lots of big names/attention and awareness to aberdeen), why would you post a smug thread about them being in administration then posting some of their accounts on the internet?

and you have the gall to criticise everybody else for sticking their own agenda?

your agenda is bitter, vindictive and downright out of order. get a fucking grip

you are a bufoon, you have proved it consistently for years

that coupled with the fact that you are on a completely different wavelength to 90% of the people here, i dont think you are in any position to be a consultant to the aberdeen music population.

you try to appear like you are some kind of music industry/business guru/expert, when in essence you are some boy with recordoftheday.com on your bookmark list and keyboard fingers

if you are so PRO scene as it were, why the constant shitting on RFR (who have pretty much brought lots of big names/attention and awareness to aberdeen), why would you post a smug thread about them being in administration then posting some of their accounts on the internet?

and you have the gall to criticise everybody else for sticking their own agenda?

your agenda is bitter, vindictive and downright out of order. get a fucking grip

Just ran a quick google search. It appears Cloud has been "pwned".

To be honest, I think that the overwhelming stream of offal that eminates from his fingertips is simply due to him being someone who has never been part of a band that has played a proper gig. In addition, I believe he genuinely wants to contribute helpfully to certain topics (i.e. the music 'scene' and 'industry' in this case) but fails massively on accounts of having absolutely NO clue or experience on the subject whatsoever.

Well i for one don't know where the shizz all these negative comments about the health of this so called 'scene' are coming from. If you want to find out which local bands are creating a stir there's a simple solution: Find out what gigs are on (every promoter has an easily located website/myspazz), find bands you like the sound of, go to the gigs, talk to people, encourage your mates to do the same.

Aside from this as far as I'm concerned there are more/better bands coming to Aberdeen to play. So what if there isn't a massive clique of local bands putting on all local gigs, although these still frequently occur. The fact is local Acts now have a better chance of playing with, even if just in a supporting role, loads of great bands. This can only result in teaching local musicians things about the 'industry' and gigging that they could never have learned if everyones attention was focused on creating an insular local scene.

The best, i don't like the word but I'll use it in the context of this thread, 'scenes' are the ones that are built on encouraging out of town Acts to come and ply their trade. Finally people from outwith that town come to see the big bands it is attracting and, once there, also get to see some of the local talent playing as well. In the end the local Acts will be able to travel elsewhere playing in front of people who they know have travelled to see them.

These things take time. However, the promoters we have here are pursuing every angle they know in order to increase the reputation of this city. This can, in the long run, only be a good thing for local bands and also gig-goers.

I have only been in Aberdeen for just over 4 years now and in this time i have noticed a vast improvement in not only the quality but also the increased variation of Acts that come to play in Abertdeen. I have also noticed that here like other places there are a small number of people who like to think that this so called 'scene' of theirs is like a club only they have the privelage of knowing about. They hang about at gigs they don't even like the sound of, they rant and rave about how good it used to be, they make lists, they throw their two cents in about issues that are non of their business willy nilly and they obstruct people, who are maybe just starting to go to gigs, feeling like they are accepted by being insular and showing distaste for outsiders. It is these people who are the first to complain when the scene changes direction and suddenly they are no longer involved. However, in this case, the many outnumber the few and at the end of the day this is what really matters.

• Upvote 1

Lach, who coined the phrase 'Anti folk', and had the first 'AntiHoot' in NYC is a regular visitor to Aberdeen.

It's kind of punky lo-fi with acoustic guitars.

I like it. (Hammell on Trial, Major Matt Mason, Lach, Jeffrey Lewis, esp)

Lach has changed agent and finished the new album yesterday

I have only been in Aberdeen for just over 4 years now

n00b alert! :p

As long as we're all still trying to have fun it can't be that bad right?

I struggle to remember a time that there wasn't exciting music playing live in Aberdeen either touring or 'home grown' that I wanted to see. Am I alone?

I wouldn't say it was a "golden age" right now, but we'd have burned our Palce membership cards and complete collections of Blind Youth ten years ago in order to get what we have right now.

haha :D

it's a shame there's no regular fanzine on the go just now. that's the one thing missing really.

Well i for one don't know where the shizz all these negative comments about the health of this so called 'scene' are coming from. If you want to find out which local bands are creating a stir there's a simple solution: Find out what gigs are on (every promoter has an easily located website/myspazz), find bands you like the sound of, go to the gigs, talk to people, encourage your mates to do the same.

Aside from this as far as I'm concerned there are more/better bands coming to Aberdeen to play. So what if there isn't a massive clique of local bands putting on all local gigs, although these still frequently occur. The fact is local Acts now have a better chance of playing with, even if just in a supporting role, loads of great bands. This can only result in teaching local musicians things about the 'industry' and gigging that they could never have learned if everyones attention was focused on creating an insular local scene.

The best, i don't like the word but I'll use it in the context of this thread, 'scenes' are the ones that are built on encouraging out of town Acts to come and ply their trade. Finally people from outwith that town come to see the big bands it is attracting and, once there, also get to see some of the local talent playing as well. In the end the local Acts will be able to travel elsewhere playing in front of people who they know have travelled to see them.

These things take time. However, the promoters we have here are pursuing every angle they know in order to increase the reputation of this city. This can, in the long run, only be a good thing for local bands and also gig-goers.

I have only been in Aberdeen for just over 4 years now and in this time i have noticed a vast improvement in not only the quality but also the increased variation of Acts that come to play in Abertdeen. I have also noticed that here like other places there are a small number of people who like to think that this so called 'scene' of theirs is like a club only they have the privelage of knowing about. They hang about at gigs they don't even like the sound of, they rant and rave about how good it used to be, they make lists, they throw their two cents in about issues that are non of their business willy nilly and they obstruct people, who are maybe just starting to go to gigs, feeling like they are accepted by being insular and showing distaste for outsiders. It is these people who are the first to complain when the scene changes direction and suddenly they are no longer involved. However, in this case, the many outnumber the few and at the end of the day this is what really matters.

excellent post!

n00b alert! :p

As long as we're all still trying to have fun it can't be that bad right?

I struggle to remember a time that there wasn't exciting music playing live in Aberdeen either touring or 'home grown' that I wanted to see. Am I alone?

You should be :p

I do recall a time many many many moons ago when it was a bit shit... Can't put any dates to it but it may have had something to do with dance music being the new black at the time. That said the clubs, pelican and the like, were rammed with fab dj's and huggy people...

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I have also noticed that here like other places there are a small number of people who like to think that this so called 'scene' of theirs is like a club only they have the privelage of knowing about. They hang about at gigs they don't even like the sound of, they rant and rave about how good it used to be, they make lists, they throw their two cents in about issues that are non of their business willy nilly and they obstruct people, who are maybe just starting to go to gigs, feeling like they are accepted by being insular and showing distaste for outsiders. It is these people who are the first to complain when the scene changes direction and suddenly they are no longer involved. However, in this case, the many outnumber the few and at the end of the day this is what really matters.

Bang on the money, at least in terms of the DIY punk scene.

everyone should listen to this (wo)man

I think that people are misinterpreting Cloud's intentions.

Personally, I think what Cloud means by random acts of kindness is being approachable and friendly to your fellow musicans. This includes being happy to give/offer advice when it is asked for. It is not arrogance that spurs people into being kind, but trying to build a sense of community. The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and all that.

Is it just me or are some people on here bit narcissistic? Just because you aren't willing to help people as you perceive music as a competition doesn't mean that others aren't happy to help without having some sort of alterior motive. No, it's not naiveity, I call it professionalism.