aberdeen-music

What this scene needs

Guest Bob

You are just making things up that arent even there for the sake of an argument...

1. Where do i say that everyband aspires to be stadium bands

2. An those who dont are crap musicians

Many dont, your right, but do you know much people who initially form bands, (who are not over 35 or tribute acts) and think, "Yeaaaaaa, lets become legends in our own town," WE are ace and we could pack out The Lemon Tree eventually, but we dont wanna be gettin no major record deal and have our music enjoyed all over the world no wayyyy Jossssseeeee!" ITS THE WHOLE DREAM... which leads me to..

"Anyone, who lives within their means, suffers a complete lack of imagination,"

Do you live "off George St" by any chance?

I was just pointing out that different people have different aims with their music... there is no 'whole dream'. And the stadium thing was just hypothetical.

I was just pointing out that different people have different aims with their music... there is no 'whole dream'. And the stadium thing was just hypothetical.

lol, never mind, it was a reference to my initial rant.

I am in it for the music, don't get me wrong. There is nothing better in the world than making music, but you should be passionate about it and want the whole world to hear it!? no?!? Fuck the fame an the money etc, who cares, it seems more hassle than its worth. Recognition for being the best band/Solo folk singer/whatever the fuck you are is what im going on about. I dont wanna speak to any1 who is a top quality musician, who is happy to play to 50 people in a pub with a real log fire week in/week out! i just dont get it. Get yourself out there!! if you are that good, you will make something. but people are to comfortable in their ways, which is a bit dull. That is just me tho, and i dont wanna turn this into another spikey/flash slanging match, cause its just away off the point of this thread (again!)

Just look at Posh Spice to see why being famous has serious drawbacks. Most people who aspire to be famous haven't really thought it through, which is why a significant number of those who succeed... later proceed to destroy themselves.

There are people who know better than to spoil the game. If playing to 50 people every so often makes them happy, then at least they've succeeded in creating and maintaining a happy life - which is way more than most people achieve. Including Posh Spice.

There is absolutely no correlation between happiness and material gain.

LVX

Honestly, that is the worst, most POINTLESS post ever!!? Get a Life (or a gig, whatever comes first i guess! wouldn't hold my breath too long for the gig mind u):up:

Do you realise his band were voted Best Band at the recent fudge music awards?

He's beyond gigs now...

No need to insult his opinions, regardless of what he's personally said.

I think the fact that too many people here aspire not to be in a stadium band is partially what's wrong with the place - if they can't aspire to sell out 80,000 tickets, what hope have they got of aspiring to sell 300 tickets?

oh, sweet suffering christ. It's people like you that make me think perhaps I shouldn't ghost on a board dealing with a city I left six years ago.

sorry, i should have clarified. what this scene needs are people playing beautiful music and putting on great gigs. aspirations to play stadium rock have nothing to do with this, as does posting half-baked opinions on a subject you know next to nothing about. read stuart maxwell's post a page or so ago over and over again until you get this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kilgore Trout
Just look at Posh Spice to see why being famous has serious drawbacks. Most people who aspire to be famous haven't really thought it through, which is why a significant number of those who succeed... later proceed to destroy themselves.

There are people who know better than to spoil the game. If playing to 50 people every so often makes them happy, then at least they've succeeded in creating and maintaining a happy life - which is way more than most people achieve. Including Posh Spice.

There is absolutely no correlation between happiness and material gain.

LVX

i like your creative typographic stuff there mr. pirate.

arrrgh! the keelhaulings are on me!

Wow, 16 pages generated from what was, essentially, a pretty funny joke. With honourable exceptions, few people picked up on this and rushed to resume lionising/lambasting the "scene". Did the not that subtle pun on AUBL , or the Lord of the Rings schtik not give it away instantly. So then, from the works of Robert Anton Wilson, this pearl of wisdom. "Think about how dumb the average person is, mathematically at least half of them are dumber than that."

The ramifications for the future are frightening.