aberdeen-music

What this scene needs

Guest Bob

Maybe if there were far less gigs then things would be better. There's about 5 or 6 gigs on every night, it's reached saturation point. Couple that with the fact there's far too many ding-as-fuck bands round here and the only way is downhill.

Nail on the head. When I first started going to gigs, there were a few great venues, some great bands and what felt like a genuine scene of bands. Although there's always been the back-biting and bitching, it did feel like most bands genuinely cared about the local scene. More often than not the gigs were well attended and really varied. Nowadays the city is dominated by a few genres of bands, primarily Metal, Metal-core (or whatever you want to call it), and arty-rock. Everyone wants to be involved in music in some way, and it doesn't always feel like it's through love, it feels like it's through 'sceney' fashion.

The decline has been pretty rapid and everything seems to have changed dramatically in the space of a few years.

On the plus side, it's great that we're getting big bands up here, and there are people working really hard. There's some great bands and some brilliant people involved in the scene in Aberdeen, and given the size of the city and the location, we're bloody lucky at some of the big names that come up here. It's not all grim up North, but things have changed a lot, and it's a shame.

scene jokes aside.

I can remember the same thing being said fours years ago and again two years ago, the same thing always happens, the music in aberdeen right now is good, there is good coverage for bands if you go looking, someone will replace aubl and hopefuly do as well as they did for a while, then im sure they will stop and the buck will be passed. Bands are the same, a few years back we had quik, point, sirrius, liberwish, nero, the list goes on then most stopped, then we got, weapon, stayover, broken sunshine ect now we have heaps of new bands, and this is just a tiny list from the top of my head, there are heaps more bands people enjoy far more that is just from my view. The point is everything changes, everyone grows up, tastes change. I think things are good in aberdeen and are getting better all the time, again it depends on where you look at it from.

What does Aberdeen need?

No doubt I'll get my head bitten off, but...

It needs focus and direction.

It's funny though, the people most in favour of helpnig others are the ones who are secure in their position. The insecure ones tend to be the ones pulling for themselves. Coincidence?

My favourite gigs are done by Mitch/Black Box Records/Filthpact and apart form the gigs no longer being in Drakes, these gigs have remained just as good if not better.

I wish Sharon was still doing gigs, cos I liked them as well.

And I wish Maxwell was still here, cos I miss him.

Other than that........woopty-fucking-ping.

Ok, so here's my rant:

I think everyone should rub the shit from their eyes, get fingers out of arses and look at what they have. This thread and others like it annoy me (only slightly).

There IS 'a scene'. There are a lot of people making music. No matter how cool, new, analogue or electronic or even shitty the music is, it's being made, and not just in someone's attic, but performed in venues that are good enough to put up with our stuff. And proper audience come and watch/listen!

And there is interaction between musicians themselves either on aberdeen music, myspace or the old fashioned way - face to face.

Comparing it to where I am from (Groningen, home of Noorderslag/Eurosonic) Aberdeen is absolutely brilliant. Groningen is great for getting good people to come and perform, but I could think of only 1 or 2 local bands/artists that I would like to come over to perform here. The other way round however.... (If anyone would like to

Stop whining and get back to making music. Everything is bound to go up and down and up again. There's plenty that can be improved but I am sure it will, soon.

John.

Ok, so here's my rant:

I think everyone should rub the shit from their eyes, get fingers out of arses and look at what they have. This thread and others like it annoy me (only slightly).

There IS 'a scene'. There are a lot of people making music. No matter how cool, new, analogue or electronic or even shitty the music is, it's being made, and not just in someone's attic, but performed in venues that are good enough to put up with our stuff. And proper audience come and watch/listen!

And there is interaction between musicians themselves either on aberdeen music, myspace or the old fashioned way - face to face.

Comparing it to where I am from (Groningen, home of Noorderslag/Eurosonic) Aberdeen is absolutely brilliant. Groningen is great for getting good people to come and perform, but I could think of only 1 or 2 local bands/artists that I would like to come over to perform here. The other way round however.... (If anyone would like to

Stop whining and get back to making music. Everything is bound to go up and down and up again. There's plenty that can be improved but I am sure it will, soon.

John.

Fleas and Lice, Makiladoras and god knows how many other ace punk bands come form Groningen. And Filthpact just played there 2 weeks ago. But I'm guessing that's not really your "Scene".

Ach well.

Fleas and Lice, Makiladoras and god knows how many other ace punk bands come form Groningen. And Filthpact just played there 2 weeks ago. But I'm guessing that's not really your "Scene".

Ach well.

Did you check how often those bands play groningen? And yes, not really my scene but good music is good music so do go down to Vera Groningen to get bruised up, occasionnally.

Sorry, I took that personal I think. Sorry. I lived there see so I was hoping I'd know the place.

What does Aberdeen need?

No doubt I'll get my head bitten off, but...

It needs focus and direction.

It's funny though, the people most in favour of helpnig others are the ones who are secure in their position. The insecure ones tend to be the ones pulling for themselves. Coincidence?

First off... why does anybody need 'direction'? And from who? A man with a large cigar who repeatedly says 'I'll make you a STAR!'?

Secondly, its stating the obvious that unestablished people aren't going out of their way to help other bands. They're unestablished: they don't have the contacts.

If you don't want your head bitten off, stop spouting off buzz words like 'focus' that mean bugger all.

Ok, so here's my rant:

John.

Well said. Personally I don't particularly like the word scene, but I do think there is one in Aberdeen. Has been for years. (Take a look at the book 'Fit Like New York' if you can find it.)

If there is a local band playing somewhere, and another kid sees them and decides they want to be in a band too, then that means there is a scene. Local bands working together and encouraging each other means there is a scene. The more bands the better, no matter how shite they are. There's nothing better than watching a bunch of kids play their first gig, being absolutely terrible, and loving every minute of it. That was the beauty of Drakes and to an extent it's still there with the Moorings and the Tunnels. New bands are supposed to be shite, so they know that they have to get better.

Seriously though. How was it playing groningen? How was the audience compared to here?
Emmm, I remember playing well to an alright crowd, then falling asleep in the bar downstairs. I got woken up and was in a miserable fucking mood and forgot to cash in all our beer tokens (I had 13). Probably a good thing, cos I think Grolsch makes us Scottish folk aggressive or something.

Out of curiosity, have you heard of GGI Fest?

No but looks ace!

Will definitely ask around for those bands. Am going home for 10 days next week.

Sounds like you were in Vera maybe? My favourite hang out EVER.

(All alcoholic beverages make scottish folk aggressive..:laughing: )

Emmm, I remember playing well to an alright crowd, then falling asleep in the bar downstairs. I got woken up and was in a miserable fucking mood and forgot to cash in all our beer tokens (I had 13). Probably a good thing, cos I think Grolsch makes us Scottish folk aggressive or something.

Out of curiosity, have you heard of GGI Fest?

No but looks ace!

Will definitely ask around for those bands. Am going home for 10 days next week.

Sounds like you were in Vera maybe? My favourite hang out EVER.

(All alcoholic beverages make scottish folk aggressive..:laughing: )

We were playing in a squat called Bar-A-Kade, which is beside a canal. I know that means fuck all, cos EVERYWHERE in Holland is beside a fucking canal!

what this scene needs is for everyone to stop talking about what it could be and actually do something about it.

(and for stripey and cloud to fuck off)

Fuck off yourself, so many people around here have developed a false sense of security and it's about time they took a long hard look at what they are doing not in the context of this shithole of a city, but in the wider world, before they start acting all smug.

THat's what I miss too. squatters & squat parties. Any idea if there is ANYTHING like that here? Haven't found any yet but they're the best!
Its totally illegal to squat in Scotland. If its gigs, the DIY gigs at East neuk are the closest thing, parties, just random house or beach parties. If you really feel adventurous, theres quarry parties down near edinburgh.